Cleaning a rental trash bin - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cleaning a rental trash bin

And then today was bin day and I thought, I would bring the bins in after they were emptied. I saw maggots in the bin and when I opened it, the smell nearly made me pass out. We use plastic shopping bags in our inside bin for mixed waste garbage and put them straight into the outside bin, but not in the proper sealed rubbish bags. My question is, what is the best way to clean the bins out and keep them a little cleaner. Are putting the shopping bags in proper rubbish bags, is the answer or is it simply one of those things that you can't help. We just need to regularly clean out our bin? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
We put anything which might smell or attract flies - meat scraps or packaging mostly - in the freezer until bin day. Everything which goes straight in the bin is clean rubbish. We don't use bags or bin liners.

To clean it, I would probably just hose it out and leave it to dry in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-15-2017, 12:05 AM

I just rented a bin from a green dumpster company I guess they are a local business that I actually saw my neighbors use. I however did not realize I was not supposed to put so much actual food "wet garbage". It left a huge stinky mess. I did not want to use bleach so I poured a mixture of kitty litter and baking soda. Worked like a charm and the run off wont kill my plants!

#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2017, 12:09 PM

I agree with Katelove on this. I think hosing it out, wiping with paper towel and letting dry would work

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page