What do you reuse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have a bunch of glass jars and I am trying to think of what to do with them, so I thought maybe you guys could share what things you reuse and how.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM

We use our glass jars for stuff that turtle puts up, dried beans and gifting things to people.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
We use our glass jars for stuff that turtle puts up, dried beans and gifting things to people.

For stuff that the turtle puts up?

Me:
Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
For stuff that the turtle puts up?
Turtle and frog are a couple

I use they for everything. Drinking. moving something from here to there, something for DH to put nuts and bolts in. (if you nail the lid to his garage cabinate he can fill them up and screw them in, looks nice and tidy)

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM

We use glass jars for leftovers.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 AM

We use them as "To-Go Cups". every morning my husband takes a smoothie to work in them. I also send other drinks in the glass jars, too.

I use them to store crafty items. One has rocks, another shells, etc. I like that they are clear and you can see what is inside of them.

The big plastic water containers that sit in your fridge (2.5 gallon size with a spout) I use for the kids to store blocks in. I cut off part of the top (leaving the spout hole and handle) and they can put the big pieces in the hole I cut, and little pieces through the spout hole. Then they can carry it all over.

I use the clamshells from lettuce/greens for toy storage as well. It keeps all their toys organized and neat. Plus they love seeing throught them and choosing what to play with. When the clamshell gets beat up, I recycle it and use another one.

I use junkmail and used envelopes for scratch paper and crafts.

I will cut out any cute picture from boxes, junkmail, cards, etc. to use for crafts too. (Depending on size they may be stored in a clamshell or glass container)

I know there are lots more... will think about & post more later!:
Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
We do too! My favorite way to use my salsa jars (squat wide mouth ones) is to make a big pot of soup or chili and then fill them up with the soup/chili! It is the perfect size!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
Check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Vegan Mama View Post
I use them to store crafty items. One has rocks, another shells, etc. I like that they are clear and you can see what is inside of them.

I use junkmail and used envelopes for scratch paper and crafts.

I will cut out any cute picture from boxes, junkmail, cards, etc. to use for crafts too.
Check, check, check!

Other things we reuse:
~I'm making tote bags out of plastic grocery bags (even though I use my reusable bags at most stores, I still have about a gazillion plastic bags around. I think they sneak into my house at night and then multiply in the hall closet.)

~I will reuse fabric from clothing we've outgrown or that has become stained as the lining for my knitting projects (purses, mostly)

~Old shoes can be made into cool little planters. We haven't done any yet this year, but I have a couple put aside for this. It makes a cute little display on the front porch.

~Glass jars can also be cleaned, painted/decoupaged with repurposed magazines or paper, and then used as candle holders, containers for homemade beauty products (sugar scrub, for instance), firefly catchers, drinking glasses, pen holders, makeup/hair brush holders, accessory holders (barrets, necklaces, etc).

~Shoe boxes make awesome video game holders. They can be wrapped with the paper from brown paper bags and decorated with stickers/paint/magazine images/glitter/whatever. Awesome kiddo project.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM

We reuse regular canning jars as well as "disposable glass jars from almost anything with a resealable lid.
Spice jars are great for refilling with bulk spices from the HFS or with ones we dry from our garden. We have even used dried spices from our garden as part of gifts at Christmas.
I have reused jars when I lacto-ferment veggies (mostly sauerkraut and kimchi) and make ketchup since you don't need the seal like you do when you are heat canning veggies.
I also reuse jars to store leftovers and as cannisters. I have dry beans, pop corn, rice, nuts, etc. all in glass jars on my counter ('cause I like the way they look all lined up there ) and in my cabinet.
The lady we get dairy from delivers milk, yoghurt, and goat cheese in reused jars. :

We reuse glass juice bottles for water bottles.

We reuse beer bottles and make great home brew!

I save youghurt and other smallish plastic containers for starting plants in the spring.

We also reuse egg cartons for eggs.

Old t-shirts make great family cloth .

I also re-purpose our own and thrift store clothing for fabric for diaper covers (sweaters for soakers and knits for the decorative fabric of wraps) and baby clothes, and I have started making a collection of t-shirt bags for Christmas gifts. I have some lacy curtains from my SIL's house that are just waiting to become play clothes for my nieces.

Kitty litter buckets are great! That's what we use for a diaper pail. We also store and carry tools in them and have one for rock salt that sat close to the door without looking too tacky during the winter when we had snow. I like the buckets that have a removable label so you can have a plain white bucket.

We compost. I also save the tops of carrots and bits from celery and onion peels for a few days in the fridge when I am going to make stock.

I save buttons from clothing that is gong on to other uses. They can be used to replace ones if one goes missing, but they also make great play items for sorting for kids old enough not to eat them and great craft items.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Melinda
Old 04-25-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ooooh, great ideas guys!! Thanks!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Glass jars: What everyone else said. I use them like tupperware. It's silly to buy plastic tupperware when I have FREE (considering that I paid for the food inside of them) glass containers to put food in. It almost cuts out the need for tupperware and ziploc-style bags in my house.

Junk mail: I re-use the envelopes as scratch paper, esp for grocery lists and reminder notes. The rest gets shredded to use to make nice craft paper with the papermaker, or shredded to use in worm compost.

Old t-shirts & PJ pants: cut up into family cloth

Old magazines, bottle tops from dp's soda, other clean-ish recyclables: various craft projects.

Various boxes, canisters, etc, from past products: toy/tool containers

I'm forgetting stuff, but I think it's all pretty much been covered here, anyway!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I re-use glass jars for food storage- but when I get too many I'll recycle the extras.

Outgrown clothes get "recycled" by being passed along to other families who can use them. Generally I give them to a local DV shelter.

Totally worn out clothes go into the "scrap fabric bag" to be turned into doll clothes or other crafts projects.

We generally wear shoes until there's nothing left of them, then they get thrown out. But if shoes get outgrown before being worn out, we'll give them away with the outgrown clothing.

We reuse grocery bags, and use lots of cloth (napkins, towels, tablecloths, etc) in an effort to minimize the use of disposable paper products. And it goes without saying that we reuse our dishes, glasses, pots and pans, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 AM

We reuse a lot fo the things already mentioned also. I hoard glass jars like crazy. They can be used for so much. Right now I am getting low on them because I've given out so much black bean salsa in them lately.
I also reuse clothing we have outgrown to make new outfits for DDs. Right now I am on a kick of making younger DD sundresses out of hubby's old dress shirts. It is fun! There is one posted on my blog. The first one I made is cuter, I just don't have pictures of it yet.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 AM

Wow. I totally suck at reusing.

:
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 AM

You ladies totally rock. I just got so many good ideas from this thread. I was literally just going through old clothes a few minutes ago and came across a TON of old t-shirts. I don't wear regular t-shirts anymore because I prefer the formfitting type. Most of them are David Bowie shirts and I can't bear to get rid of them (big fan...named my son after him). I'm going to make them into tote bags! Awesome!
Ooooh....I saw that someone resuses shoes as planters. I've done this with old pointe showes. I fill them with dried flowers/herbs and cover the hole part with lace or tulle. Very pretty.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilleran@earth-co View Post
We reuse a lot fo the things already mentioned also. I hoard glass jars like crazy. They can be used for so much. Right now I am getting low on them because I've given out so much black bean salsa in them lately.
Off topic, but I'd love to learn your recipe for black bean salsa. Thanks!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
Old 05-01-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Vegan Mama View Post
We do too! My favorite way to use my salsa jars (squat wide mouth ones) is to make a big pot of soup or chili and then fill them up with the soup/chili! It is the perfect size!
What a great idea! A perfect excuse to splurge on buying storebought salsa :

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Wow! Cool ideas!

My family is sprout crazy, so we use glass jars for sprouting. I also freeze soup and chili in glass jars. Like PP have said, we use them for storing all kinds of little things. We try not to buy glass jars too much because we can't recycle them here, but we have some that have been around for many years!

computergeek2.gif

Old 05-01-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
We have a bunch of glass jars and I am trying to think of what to do with them, so I thought maybe you guys could share what things you reuse and how.
As an art teacher, i put on the 'supply list' at the beginning for the year for families with children who use glass baby jars and need a place for them to go, to bring them to the art room. We use them as paint jars and water jars for rinsing brushes and a myrid of other crazy things.

If you can't find a use...you might check with your local school to donate to the art dept.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wow great ideas! I have a lot of glass jars here and now i have more ideas for reusing them. Thanks

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 
Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM

- We use the second side of printer paper for drafts or things we're just going to use around the house.
- I save the cell packs from plants to start my own seed in again.
- I retell all my funniest stories, again and again and again .
- I am letting the trunk of my Christmas tree (my son's first) cure to make tree blocks out of.
- I save the padded envelopes and boxes I get in the mail to re-use for the same purpose.
- As my husband is a wandering academic, we move often. I have never bought a moving box for us to move; I have saved a lot of trees and $$$ reusing boxes.
- The sleeves of shirts and legs of pants that are no longer able to be worn make great bags - often with only one seam. I made silk ones for my son's birthday party and filled them with paint sample cards for a nature color hunt game we played on a walk. The kids each got one to take home. I've also made some cute reusable gift bags from old jeans legs.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM

I have a bunch of glass babyfood jars that I'd love to use for cute, sophisticated gifts, but I haven't come up with a great idea yet. Any suggestions?

We reuse t-shirts and clothes for cleaning rags. I also used ripped off jean bottoms for car rags because they're more durable, but I admit that I got a lot of weird comments on those, and I like the gift bag idea above a lot better!

Tissue boxes are reused a lot to store hair things, small toys, and other little things that float around the house and get lost... AND the tissue boxes look pretty and stack well.

I keep cardboard for easily spreading tacky craft glue or for including in envelopes when I mail photos.

We reuse pretty much everything as toddler toys. Any container can be turned into a musical instrument (drum or rattle) or a game of hide-and-seek.

We also reuse ziplock baggies a LOT. As long as they don't have a hole in 'em, they can easily be refilled with serving sizes of baby carrots or trail mix over and over again. Once they've gotten gross, we ship 'em upstairs and use them when we scoop out the litter before garbage day.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Other people already mentioned most of mine...but I do want to rave a moment about how glass jars are much better for food storage than plastic containers! They wash so much cleaner so much more easily! Things seem to stay fresh longer in them. The threaded lids almost never leak. My very favorite feature is this: If you put something hot in a glass jar and fill it very full and put on the lid immediately, sometimes it will seal so well that the food stays good (in the back of the fridge) for MONTHS. I'm talking about the jars from spaghetti sauce and such that have a circle that pops up when you break the seal--you can get that circle to pop down again when the jar is full of hot food. I wonder if it's then shelf-stable, like the original food was until opened, and doesn't even need to be refrigerated, but so far I haven't been brave enough to experiment! I love spaghetti and enjoy making my own sauce, but I figure I may as well make a big batch while I'm at it, so keeping it from getting moldy before we use it is an issue.

Glass juice bottles, too...I snagged 7 of them during my big recycling project in 2002, and I'm still using them daily for juice to drink w/my lunch at work.

We reuse various types of food containers to buy food from the bulk section of our co-op (you scoop from a bin into your container, after weighing it empty and writing its weight on the label so the cashier can subtract it and charge you only for the food). It's fun deciding what's the best container for which food. There are products we haven't bought in years whose containers we're still using: raisins in a Maxwell House instant coffee jar, oats in the huge plastic jar that held 4 pounds of generic peanut butter, etc.

I cut up old knit clothes to make hankies. Last time, I was left with some shreds of pretty fabric from the edges, so I used them as cushioning for a gift I was mailing to my mom--rather than wrap it, I just put it in an envelope and stuffed the gaps with the fabric scraps.

Here are ideas for reusing mesh produce bags, remnants of bar soap, extra address labels and other stickers, scrap paper, egg cartons, and unwanted tobacco.

We made our own Christmas tree out of a cardboard box and the green plastic bags the Sunday paper comes in.

We save gift wrap and use it over again. When it has no large areas that look nice, we cut out the best-looking parts to use as gift tags or to decorate plain paper: reused tissue or an inside-out brown bag. (We also have a lot of cloth gift bags that we use over and over, but most of them we made from new fabric. A few were made from scraps from larger projects.)

When my son was a baby, he had hours of fun playing with shaker-toys made from the cardboard canisters with plastic lids that fried onions ( come in, with a bottle cap or something like that inside.

My Girl Scouts designed a restaurant as part of their Cooking badge and held a "grand opening" where we served "free samples" of the foods we'd made. All the dishes we used were food packaging the girls and I had saved, which would otherwise have been recycled or trashed, and which got this one additional use before it met that fate. It was fun seeing the variety of dishes we collected and deciding which was best for what food!

I save business reply mail envelopes that I'm not going to use, and give one to each Girl Scout patrol (small group within the troop) to collect their dues money. Each girl writes on the envelope her name and how much she paid. That way I just toss the sealed envelopes into my bag and don't have to count the money until I get home!

When we moved, we bought new pink dishcloths to match our new kitchen and demoted the old ones (green and other colors) to bathroom cleaning cloths. As they get worn out, they become "rags" that get one last use for some yucky job and then get thrown away.

We use produce bags over and over again until they tear or something gets moldy in them. After using the produce, we put the bag into one of our canvas totes that we use for grocery shopping so that we'll have it next time.

We use bags from bread, etc., to store various foods and just keep shaking out crumbs, rinsing or washing if necessary, and using them again.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Forgot to mention old yogurt tubs! We use them for a bunch of things: buckets for outdoor play, temporary plant pots, bath toys, diluting the vinegar to wash my hair, soaking cloth pads or bloodstained hankies in cold water, soaking other stained items in Oxi-Clean, mixing up wonder-cleaner, rinsing the bathtub after scrubbing.... We keep one next to the sink as the compost bucket (temporary storage of food scraps destined for outdoor compost bins) and keep washing and reusing it until something gets really yucky in it or it's stained by coffee grounds, and then it gets recycled.

We save the containers similar to yogurt tubs but clear, which take-out soup comes in, to bring home leftovers from restaurants. In a pinch, we use yogurt tubs for that and tape on a label to show it's not yogurt in the fridge.

We prefer milk in paper cartons rather than plastic jugs. After finishing the milk, we open the top of the carton all the way and set it on the floor next to the kitchen trash. Non-compostable food scraps go in there, and the carton then gets folded shut so the food won't leak into the trash bag and make a mess when the trash is carried out.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I also save the tops of carrots and bits from celery and onion peels for a few days in the fridge when I am going to make stock.
I do this too - except I put them in a big ziploc bag in the freezer, so I can accumulate them over time and make a bunch of stock at once.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 AM

taking notes here because i apparently suck at this.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I personally do not resuse a lot of things. I recycle as much as I can at the center and then find other non trash alternatives for things that they do not take.
For instance, they do not take yogurt containers and things of the like. They only take threaded bottles. So I will keep the plain containers that have lids and use them as storage containers, but the ones with print on them, I give to the school. They have a recycling room in which I donate many things that would typically be trashed. I wonder if they think I am crazy.....

I do reuse socks and other old fabrics.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
I personally do not resuse a lot of things. I recycle as much as I can at the center and then find other non trash alternatives for things that they do not take.
For instance, they do not take yogurt containers and things of the like. They only take threaded bottles. So I will keep the plain containers that have lids and use them as storage containers, but the ones with print on them, I give to the school. They have a recycling room in which I donate many things that would typically be trashed. I wonder if they think I am crazy.....

I do reuse socks and other old fabrics.
What I recycle....
cardboard- recycling center
glass bottles/jars-recycling center
threaded plastic bottles- recycling center
newspapers/magazines/misc paper-recycling center
pretty much all metals- various recycling centers
plastic bags- walmart and the recycling center

most other things- school recycling room

Pretty much the only things that go in my trash....
dryer lint (too nasty for me to recycle)
diapers ( I know I COULD do reuseable and I think about it a lot...but I do not think I can commit.....I have been changing diapers constantly for the past 6 years (3 kids....really close in age and another that will be born anytime now....so providing I do not get pregnant again before this one is out of diapers...then I will have about 8 years of diaper changing.....I really do not think I could handle reusable!))
plastic wrap
paper towels/toilet paper

That is pretty much it.....I try my hardest to recycle as much as I can. I know I could improve on some things, but I think I am doing pretty good.

I am wanting to figure out a way that I can eliminate all non-recycleable trash....in an environmentally friendly manner...I have some ideas...but I do not how to make them work for sure.

I may post up sometime with my idea and see if any of you can help make it work.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Blessed One, you ARE doing well! What is it you use plastic wrap for? I don't use it at all, so maybe I can help think of alternatives.

User Tag List