"It hurts the environment more to recycle..." - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've watched parts 1 & 2, now. ick. Yes, if you pick apart recycling at its very core, it uses energy & costs money. Is that a reason NOT to do it? Just like all types of industry, it probably won't be cost effective in the beginning, until it becomes more prevalent. And that's a cycle.

I'm looking at it all from the point of view of reducing my individual footprint, and hopefully encouraging others to do so, as well. The less waste that we produce (be it for recycling OR trash), the better off we are. Now, and in the future.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#32 of 36 Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 AM

I have very mixed feelings about recycling. It seems that recycling metals like aluminum and such would be more beneficial than plastics, paper, etc. And people like to recycle because it makes them feel good and proactive and no one wants to be told that all their recycling efforts were all done in vain. But reducing and reusing are far more beneficial, IMO, than recycling. Reducing the stuff we buy would eventually reduce the amount of crap being produced in the first place, especially if everyone made more of an effort to do so. Than reusing and repurposing items is great - buying clothes from garage sales, thrift stores, and making do with what you have is all wonderful. Buying used cars instead of new.... etc. Never buying disposable anything, composting food waste, etc. I'm convinced that everything we consumers could possibly ever need already exists. Thank goodness for freecycle!

In our community, we have weekly recycling pick up but it doesn't appear that a lot of people use it. Regardless of how many actually use it, the big gas guzzling truck still travels every street picking it up, and this wastes a lot of gas. We also don't have the option of opting out of recycling services - we are all charged for it on our water bill regardless of if we use it or not. This rubs me the wrong way because I don't think anyone, especially on such a local level, should force me to pay for the service if I choose not to use it.

BTW, if anyone has some ideas on collecting cans without attracting roaches, I'm all ears! Aluminum goes for several dollars a pound right now but in our old house, we collected about four bags of cans and ended up with a huge roach problem because of it. Any ideas on keeping it roach proof?

hang.gif  

#33 of 36 Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM

do you rinse out the cans first? are they dry?
roaches are intrigued by moisture, just as much as food. We keep our recycling outside primarily, and I've never seen a roach scurry away. We use the city's biweekly recycling pickup for most things, but we take the bottles to a drop-off every couple months.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#34 of 36 Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM

The cans are mostly picked up along the roadside or in parking lots or ditches so there's no telling what's already in them. Sometimes, you don't want to handle them to much just in case they're ant-infested, kwim? Maybe if I stored them on the back corner of the back yard, we wouldn't have much of a problem. The idea of handling them (like rinsing them) beyond picking them up and putting them in a bag gives me the willies.

BUT, if four bags full of cans can bring in as much as $30, I guess I'll keep with picking them up. But if I see one tiny roach in my house, all bets are off.

hang.gif  

#35 of 36 Old 09-24-2008, 01:43 PM

I totally agree! I won't rinse cans that I find in the easement. Put them in a different corner of your yard, not up next to the house or the garage.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#36 of 36 Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
So you believe that we have an infinite and never ending supply of sand on earth? But not of metal?
Sand is not infinite (nor is the supply of trees) but new sand does get created at a fairly rapid pace as shells and rocks break down. The supply of metal is much more limited; once you mine it out, it's gone for many generations.

Quote:
There's an interesting Penn & Teller "Bullshit" show on this subject.
I've seen it, and it is itself about 75% bullshit. To cite just one example, they pull the logical trick I mentioned above: citing the inefficiency of PAPER recycling as an argument against recycling ANYTHING. Oh, and I have to mention just one more thing: They have a guy from an environmental group listing the risks of landfill leachate, and they cut him off practically in midsentence to show a landfill industry rep saying, "It's VERY safe," in a condescending tone and providing absolutely no supporting facts, and they treat that like the last word on the subject.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page