water to wash out jars with stuck on food... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i read something that said it was less worth using up the water than just tossing the jar. any thoughts? i'm thinking jars with lots of greasy stuff, like PB....? i live in AZ, so it kind of makes sense to me, but i hate to toss the jars! :
#2 of 28 Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

I give the PB jar to my dog to clean out.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#3 of 28 Old 05-05-2008, 05:28 PM

DH and I are constantly debating this.

I wish I knew the right thing to do.

Where my sister lives, they won't take a can or jar that has any hint of residue. If a single item in the bin isn't sparkling clean they won't take the recycling that week.

here they take everything, but I'm not certain that everything actually gets recycled.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 28 Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In AZ, it's probably a bigger issue than here in NY. I dont really know, though. Maybe use greywater to clean the recycling?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 28 Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
here they take everything, but I'm not certain that everything actually gets recycled.
i hear that if ANYTHING in the "batch" has any contaminent, they DUMP THE WHOLE BATCH. sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
In AZ, it's probably a bigger issue than here in NY. I dont really know, though. Maybe use greywater to clean the recycling?
yeah, it was in an AZ paper. i think for pb, because it's so oily and hard to get out, i might dump those. i always get so fed up trying to get them clean! (i should say, too, it's not really pb, it's sunbutter... if it was pb, i'd just use the grind your own, and it wouldnt be an issue! sigh.)
#6 of 28 Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM

I put my recycling containers in the dishwater after I'm done with the dishes. I let them soak for a minute, and wipe them out and they are clean. I don't rinse them (hopefully that's ok!) so I don't use any extra water.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 28 Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Sometimes I leave them in the sink then pour boiling water in them that's left over from something I cooked (like pasta), let it sit awhile then maybe rinse it again if it needs it.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#8 of 28 Old 05-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
Sometimes I leave them in the sink then pour boiling water in them that's left over from something I cooked (like pasta), let it sit awhile then maybe rinse it again if it needs it.
:
Gets pb out in micro seconds. Let it cool off a bit, then cap, shake, dump. Ta Da!
Surely it takes more water and power to make a whole new jar than the 1/2 cup of pasta water (heck, even fresh water) to rinse it

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#9 of 28 Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been reading that glass recycling is not as energy-efficient as we'd like because of the weight of the glass and thus the amount of fuel needed to transport it, compared to alumnum or plastic. In places with a water shortage, this might be a valid point.

I like the ideas for cleaning jars with water that's about to go down the drain!

My glass jars and bottles get recycled only if they're an awkward shape for reusing. (For example, a Pace salsa bottle is a shape that gets stuff caught inside the rim; I do not want to clean it over and over again!) I use bottles to carry juice for my lunch at work. I use jars to store leftovers, food from open packages (cheese stays fresh longer in a jar than in its original plastic), and foods I buy in bulk from my co-op.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#10 of 28 Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
you could always save rain water to fill the jar and let it stand.

Plus some pb rinses better than others.......

I just throw my in the dish washer with my other stuff. I know some people are not fond of dishwashers...but that is one thing that is not leaving me!!!

My recycling center has a 5% rule...meaning if no more than 5% of it is dirty then they do not mind.

You could also use a wet rag to wipe it out.

I personally would rather use a bit more water, than throw it in a landfill!

It will NEVER leave the landfill.......we are working on harvesting more water from currently undrinkable sources.........so the water issue is not as big of a deal.
Besides that, we have oceans full of water....*wink* ....lol
#11 of 28 Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
you could always save rain water to fill the jar and let it stand.

Plus some pb rinses better than others.......

I just throw my in the dish washer with my other stuff. I know some people are not fond of dishwashers...but that is one thing that is not leaving me!!!

My recycling center has a 5% rule...meaning if no more than 5% of it is dirty then they do not mind.

You could also use a wet rag to wipe it out.

I personally would rather use a bit more water, than throw it in a landfill!

It will NEVER leave the landfill.......we are working on harvesting more water from currently undrinkable sources.........so the water issue is not as big of a deal.
Besides that, we have oceans full of water....*wink* ....lol
*raises hand*
I know! I know!

save all of your jars and plan a trip to the ocean and the rinse them as you play!....lol Maybe the salt would help clean them
#12 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
I give the PB jar to my dog to clean out.
I have started doing this too. as a matter of fact she really has love for the recycling bin . . . .

I don't use a dishwasher so I just wash them at the end of doing dishes, don't go too crazy making them sterile and don't bother rinsing.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 AM

I don't have a dog but when I did, she also used to clean out the PB jar. lol!

As for the others, just soak them in water overnight and the stuff will come right out with a bottle brush. Throw the used water on the garden or something.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 AM

i usually leave them in the sink for a day or two and plug the drain so all of our dishwashing and handwashing h2o cleans the jars. i also use a bucket in the shower to collect h2o that would go down the drain and srick jars in that. Most jars we reuse. It is just the greasy PB ones that we get rid of and some sauce containers.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#15 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I add them to my dishwasher.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Reuse the jars? I hate spending the time to clean them just to recycle them- and who knows if they actually get recycled- so I reuse them.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#17 of 28 Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM

I am reusing so many jars, they are taking up all my cupboard space. Our kitchen is TINY! I need to start taking the jars with me to the coop now to buy bulk items (instead of putting the items in plastic bag at store).
#18 of 28 Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 AM

I make my own peanut butter and it is not that hard to wash out. I just grind dry roasted peanuts in my Vitamix (nothing added) and put the fresh peanut butter in two small jars. They stay fresher that way and I like my pb a little crunchier than DD & DH, who like it SUPER smooth. I run the jars through the dishwasher along with other dishes and they come out sparkling clean and ready for a new batch.

Cleaning the Vitamix after making pb is a bit more challenging than the usual cleaning routine. I add a bit more water and a drop or two more soap and I run the Vitamix on high longer than usual. Then, I actually use a rag inside the container with the hot dishwater. It rinses clean after that. (I don't usually need a rag or any manual cleaning efforts with my Vitamix.)

On the rare occasion we buy pb in plastic containers (group camping, large picnics), I don't wash those out to recycle due to all the gunk and how long it took me the one time I did do it. I wasted a ton of water to recycle that one plastic jar.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#19 of 28 Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM

I let them soak in the sink for a few hours, then add them to the next dishwasher load. If you just leave them under the faucet, they fill up in a handwash or two, so no extra water used.

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#20 of 28 Old 06-02-2008, 11:24 PM

PB is a tough on to clean. I would let mine sit in the sink for a few days soaking and scooping the residue. But then I figured it out. Use a silicone spatula and its scrapes it all out squeaky clean!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#21 of 28 Old 06-07-2008, 01:23 PM

Man, I have doxies, and their heads would totally get stuck in the pb jar! It is a great idea otherwise.
Here is our protocol on pb jars. We sometimes leave them filled with soapy water for a couple of days. That loosens stuff a lot. SOmetimes I use the hand sprayer and pressure wash it. Sometimes we put them in the dishwasher, and this works well. and sometimes I throw them out
#22 of 28 Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM

I put mine in the dishwasher. I have a whole bunch of glass jars sitting in my cabinets that I need to recycle.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#23 of 28 Old 06-12-2008, 04:31 PM

My dog can't reach the bottom of the jars and has actually cut his gums from trying so hard to get out every last bit - so he doesn't get cleaning duty anymore. I normally just put a good squirt of dishsoap in the jar, fill with hot water, put the lid on and leave it overnight. The next morning I shake it pretty well and just dump it out and give a quick rinse. It uses very little water.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32*stork-boy.gifstork-boy.gif*36***40

#24 of 28 Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM

you mamas with lots of jars (with lids) saved up should put some on the trading post or ebay. there are always people talking about needing more jars. *hand raised* DH and I go through 1 jar of pb a year, so I don't have the pb problem Maybe it's because I live in ohio and there is water water everywhere but i see water as renuable and you can't really "waste" it unless you are killing it with chemicals and such.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#25 of 28 Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
you mamas with lots of jars (with lids) saved up should put some on the trading post or ebay. there are always people talking about needing more jars. *hand raised* DH and I go through 1 jar of pb a year, so I don't have the pb problem Maybe it's because I live in ohio and there is water water everywhere but i see water as renuable and you can't really "waste" it unless you are killing it with chemicals and such.
seriously? just PB jars or other? DH goes through a couple salsa jars a week. [this is another post - i would prefer to make it for him in bulk - but somehow this doesn't happen... hmm....] a) I can't get the salsa smell/flavor out of them (well, the lids, mostly) until many, many, many washings later. b) we can't reuse that many jars. we already buy in bulk from the co-op and put them in jars. but there comes a time when like the PP, my pantry was just full of empty jars. so, last week, i finally just recycled about 6m worth of jars. if only i'd known, i would have gladly put them up on the TP.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#26 of 28 Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Maybe it's because I live in ohio and there is water water everywhere but i see water as renuable and you can't really "waste" it unless you are killing it with chemicals and such.
There are a lot of people around the world that used to think like that. Now they have water shortages or no water at all. Water is a precious resource it should not be wasted. When we remove it from where it is meant to be we disrupt the natural cycle of water because it is not returned to the same place. Conserve water because humans can't exist without it.

I try and buy things without packaging as much as possible and I reuse as much as I can.
#27 of 28 Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Here in West Central FL they don't have to be cleaned out at all. That goes for cans or glass. So, for cans since I can't recap them they get a quick rinse. We are vegan so it is just beans or veggies anyhow. Then the glass ones I put the lid back on and just make sure to take the lid off when we drop it off at the center.

We used to wash them off because you used to have to. They changed that this year. I still think it was better to rinse them to recycle as opposed to not recycling at all. How long does it take glass to return to its natural state. Million years or something?
#28 of 28 Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
PB is a tough on to clean. I would let mine sit in the sink for a few days soaking and scooping the residue. But then I figured it out. Use a silicone spatula and its scrapes it all out squeaky clean!

This is what I do, too. I scrape out every last bit, then I fill it once with hot water and a drop of dish soap and let it sit and sit and sit, shaking it every once in a while. Eventually it's clean enough for the recycling bin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page