Bag credits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if any of you get bag credits at your stores? it was common in many of the stored where I am from in Michigan and where my sister lives in Colorado it is also common. They give you 5c or so per reusable bag that you bring and use.

They don't do it anywhere around here though. I decided to chat with the manager of Safeway about it, especially since they are selling reusable bags near he counters. The assistant manager was not happy to see me. She did not want to listen to my request at all (again I do not understand this, it is not a personal question like I went to her front door, what has happened to customer service, at least just humor the crazy hippie lady and smile and pretend to care right). So I called her on it and said "I'm sorry you don't seem interested, what's the problem?" and she says "Well we already do plastic bag recycling here so I don't see the point". So I strove to explain clearer how it helps save them money on plastic bags, nay even make more money since many people would buy the Safeway reusable bags for 99c each, it helps the environment, and it makes the customer feel good because they get to save a few pennies. Well, she was clearly unreasonable, so I wrote a big letter to the manager about it and got no response. Guess what? No more Safeway. Their prices were MUCH higher and I used to shop there because of the good customer service, but now that they don't care about keeping a customer or providing good customer service I'm done. I wrote another letter to let the manager know this, but I should have saved the paper because- no response. Sigh.

Has anyone had any luck trying to get this started at one of their grocery stores?

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM

How disappointing. Have you considered going up the chain to their regional manager? I'm sure somebody higher up in the company might be interested to hear about bag credits and also interested to hear that apathetic local management is losing customers.

I think our more mainstream stores (Kroger, Food Lion) and the big box stores like Target don't offer credits, but a big local chain, where I like to shop, does. Our local organic market does, of course.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 PM

Only one store here offers a bag credit. All the rest sell their own cloth bags, but don't fuss if you bring your own cloth instead.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Some of our stores do offer a bag credit and others don't. I haven't kept up on which is which, though. I just toss my bags up there and let them figure it out. LOL

Personally, I am more in favor of Ikea's approach. If you want a bag, you pay for it... Disposables are less than 10 cents (4 or 5???) and Reusables are higher ($1-2???). I've never needed a bag there, so I don't know the exact prices. I bring my own cloth/canvas bags everywhere.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Some of our stores do offer a bag credit and others don't. I haven't kept up on which is which, though. I just toss my bags up there and let them figure it out. LOL

Personally, I am more in favor of Ikea's approach. If you want a bag, you pay for it... Disposables are less than 10 cents (4 or 5???) and Reusables are higher ($1-2???). I've never needed a bag there, so I don't know the exact prices. I bring my own cloth/canvas bags everywhere.
Aldi does that too- you have to bring your own bags. I am thinking that since I see everyone carting their own bags into this new store, people who would never otherwise consider it (in my biased estimation), that it might become more accepted in my smallish community at other stores or in general. Aldi also makes you put in a quarter to get a grocery cart in order to keep their parking lots clear of cart clutter, it works. Their store is very neat and clean, no carts or bags in the parking lots.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 05-28-2008, 11:47 PM

The Safeway here offers a bag credit. I'd really take it higher up and let them know that the manager that you spoke with was not the slightest bit interested in discussing the matter with you. That is just poor customer service, period.

Whole Foods offers a bag credit, Trader Joes does not (although they do offer a raffle ticket).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 AM

In my area, we have four that offer credits. There may be more, but these are the ones I know of:
Weiss - $0.3 cents
Whole Foods - $0.5 cents
Redners - $0.5 cents
Genaurdi's (a Safeway company) - $0.5 cents.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Farm Fresh and Kroger give 5 cents per reusable bag. Save-a-lot gives nothing, but makes you buy plastic bags if you don't bring your own. Of course I see a lot of people just reusing plastic bags, but that's still better than getting new ones.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

You're right, I think I will take it up the a regional manager or something- I ain't got no job... heehee- you haven't heard the last from me!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All the stores near me supposedly offer bag credits, but the cashiers forget to issue them most of the time.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. I'm not going to use my cloth bags just to save 50 cents on a huge grocery order- I do it because its' better for the environment and its' become more convenient for me. If the cashier remembers to give me the credit, that's great, but if he or she forgets, I won't remind him or her. And anyway, I only get credit for the number of cloth bags acutally used, not for the number of plastic bags I've saved. Each canvas bag probably saves 3-4 plastic ones, because they're bigger and stronger.

IMO, charging for disposable bags would be a lot more effective at getting others to reuse bags, but the bag credit is probably easier to implement for a store that already gives out "free" bags.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh sure, it would only save you maybe 20 cents or something per visit, it isn't a huge savings or anything its more in the principal of the thing in my mind. If it helps it become more accepted and gives people incentive to use their own bags then they should do it. I am fanatical about saving money too though, so that's another reason why this strikes a chord with me. "What, you mean you're getting paid to use your bags and I'm not? The universe must surely be out of whack!"

Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 AM

Our local Stop and Shop just started giving 5 cents for each you bring from home. :

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 AM

I was at Trader Joe's today and they give you a raffle ticket if you bring your own bags. I didn't catch what the raffle is for, though. LOL

I also did our finances today and paid attention to the food receipts more closely than usual. Henry's gives 5 cents per bag and so did Vons, but both tend to forget.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Safeway does it here (the bag credit). But Albertsons!!! I looked at my receipt and there was none, so I said: Has the bag credit been phased out? And I get the reply of: We only give it to the people who ask....

Well, I am going to ask... Considering how often we shop there is at least a latte a year savings right there, hehehehehe

Which reminds me that I am seriously undercaffeinated today... different story.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM

The Fred Meyer stores I shop at (owned by Kroger, I believe) gives 5 cents per bag.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We get a $.05 credit at the stores and a cookie at the co-op (woohoo!! they are some yummy cookie).

it was real hassle as a cashier.

as for the customer service. talk to the store manager. Don't settle for an assistant manager. and even if you decide to drop the whole bag thing be sure to report how badly you were treated. Written complaints were taken very seriously at our store.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Hmmmm... I'm in a very crunchy town but there are no "credits". Every store sells reusable bags, none of them care if you use a different reusable bag, and every store has a "plastic bag recycling bin". But you don't "get" anything extra for returning plastic bags or bringing your own.

Actually, my favorite "store brand" reusables came from our Home Depot... the bags have "latches" that hook onto a shopping cart and hold the bag open. DD1 loves droping stuff inside as we shop and the check out people really appreciate it too.

I know IKEA charges for their plastic bags...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM

So far every grocery store I go in offers bag credits, one of them has never forgotten to punch them in, one has never remembered and the other (safeway) is not visited often but always has. If the cashier forgets I don't bother mentioning it because I figure that even if their was the credit I would still want to use cloth bags.

I love to hear the some places make you buy their bags (even plastic). That would really get people thinking about reusing. I think that it should become a law . . . well maybe that is too extreme but still I think that it is a very good thing.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM

The only regular grocery store I shop at in my town is a Kroger, but they've started giving 3c per bag. I don't know about the others though.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I was at Trader Joe's today and they give you a raffle ticket if you bring your own bags. I didn't catch what the raffle is for, though. LOL

I also did our finances today and paid attention to the food receipts more closely than usual. Henry's gives 5 cents per bag and so did Vons, but both tend to forget.
At my local Trader Joes it's a monthly raffle for a $25 gift certificate. Definatly better then a handful of nickels (if I ever win it!)

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 PM

The Whole Foods here gives 5 cents per bag. I rarely do the grocery shopping so I haven't had a chance to see if other places do it as well.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicafairy View Post
At my local Trader Joes it's a monthly raffle for a $25 gift certificate. Definatly better then a handful of nickels (if I ever win it!)
Trader Joe's here offers a bag credit PLUS a chance to enter the raffle. I think the prize is a gift basket of TJ's items that they select, but as I haven't yet won, I'm not sure.

I recently discovered that Shoprite gives 3 cents per plastic bag that gets reused or 7 cents for each cloth bag you use. I could have the numbers wrong, but I think it's great how they offer more money for the cloth bags, because they DO hold more than the plastic ones.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 AM

i know a couple of stores by me will give the credit. But I also buy the bags for some of my more mainstream friends as b-day gifts and let them know which stores give credits. Most of the girls i have given them to have relized how convient they are and now use them all the time. I figure if its my way to help out a little bit then so be it. The one store always asks how many bags did you bring this time. And they tell everyone about the bag credit to get people to use less plastic
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM

One of our grocery stores does, HyVee. They do 5 cents per reusable bag you bring in.

The Super Target I shop at sells reusable red cloth Target bags, but doesn't do a discount.

Their are other grocery stores around, but those are the 2 I mainly shop at.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM

Well, I very pointedly put my cloth bags on the conveyor belt and when the cashier announces the total I say "Does that include the bag credit?". And I don't correct them if they count three bags as four ().
Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 PM

I asked Wegmans about this and the manager that I talked to said that they discussed it but it is more expensive for them to use the reusable Wegman Brand bag than plastic because it takes the cashiers longer to set up. I couldn't believe that line of crap.

He also said that Wegmans goes through 1 million plastic bags a day, I thought that was sickening...

Tracy, Wifey to Jeff . Mama to Maya-Papaya 7/04 and Carolina Bean-a 5/07 and Jack 7/4/10!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
I asked Wegmans about this and the manager that I talked to said that they discussed it but it is more expensive for them to use the reusable Wegman Brand bag than plastic because it takes the cashiers longer to set up. I couldn't believe that line of crap.

He also said that Wegmans goes through 1 million plastic bags a day, I thought that was sickening...
I wonder that he didn't say that they have those bins where customers can recycle them.... And that of course would minimize their use of 1 million bags a day...

Nah, that is really not very smart of them (not to say stupid).

And yes, it might take a wee bit longer but hey, they were surprised to see my German bag (it's about to die though ...
Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
IMO, charging for disposable bags would be a lot more effective at getting others to reuse bags, but the bag credit is probably easier to implement for a store that already gives out "free" bags.
: A 5 cent rebate is not going to get me to use a canvas bag if I don't already want to. When I was a teenager, though, the Canadian chain Superstore started charging 5 cents for bags, and my mom became fanatical about not buying them. We'd stick things in our pockets (after we paid for them) to avoid "buying" bags Mom thought we didn't really need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaMom View Post
I have several bags which are shaped exactly like the plastic store bags, and it always astonishes me that cashiers don't figure out that you can put them on the plastic bag holder-upper and then fill them *just like a plastic bag*. Or those other kinds that have flat bottoms and stand up by themselves--you can do the same with them. In my experience, cashiers tend to just flop the bag down on the counter in a heap and try to fill it that way. No wonder it takes longer--filling a plastic bag that way would take plenty long, too.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 06-24-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
In my area, we have four that offer credits. There may be more, but these are the ones I know of:
Weiss - $0.3 cents
Whole Foods - $0.5 cents
Redners - $0.5 cents
Genaurdi's (a Safeway company) - $0.5 cents.

We must live in the same area. I didn't know that Redners gave a bag credit. I wonder if it varies from store to store?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
that line of crap about plastic costing less is nonesense. Bags were one of our biggest expenses at our grocery stire and it save a ton when you bring your own. I don't care if they give me discount but don't tell me my reusable bags cost more. and further more even if they did I don't care.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List