Want to use a clothesline but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do I do to avoid the bird poop? We have a huge tree that attracts a lot of birds and they poop all over the place. And we haven't been able to get the poop out of our clothes.

Any suggestions on how to do a clothesline in a heavily targeted bird poop area?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#2 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 AM

I don't know. How long is your clothesline? Could you stretch a piece of canvas above the area like a tent - something rigged up easily so you could take it down if you wanted too?
#3 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melhow36 View Post
I don't know. How long is your clothesline? Could you stretch a piece of canvas above the area like a tent - something rigged up easily so you could take it down if you wanted too?
Yeah, that's the only thing I think we could do that would work. But goodness knows when we'll get around to hunting down the canvas and putting it up.

Sometime after DD finally starts STTN.

I do air dry a lot of stuff b/c it can't go in the dryer but I'd like to do more and need to be outside due to space limitations.

Or maybe, I just do towels outside and if they get pooped on, oh well? I dunno.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#4 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Maybe you don't do a clothesline? What about using a folding wooden clothes dryer right next to your house? Unless of course the birds bomb the walls of your house too
#5 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM

Do you have a covered patio? My main clothesline is strung under my patio to avoid the birds and fading dark clothes in the sun. I do have another one that stretches from the patio post to our garage when things need to be in the sun.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

#6 of 12 Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you can move it or trim the tree back. I was also thinking some wooden racks so you can just put them where you want.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have no idea if this would work, but I am wondering about putting a bird feeder somewhere kinda close, but away from the line. Like maybe in a tree a few trees over? Maybe to divert them?

I'm a single working mom of 3 wonderful kiddos. 

#8 of 12 Old 06-14-2008, 02:27 AM

My clothesline is under a big tree full of poopy birds too, so I feel your pain. LOL!

Our clothesline is one of those old-fashioned T-post kinds with five wire lines. So I don't know if this would work for you, but my (cheap!) solution was to clothespin two old twin flat sheets over the whole thing like a canopy. I pinned them to the two outer lines and use the three inner lines for the laundry. I hope that makes sense how I described it.

I've been really pleased with it. No more poop on my laundry! And the side benefit is that it keeps the dark laundry from getting sun faded. I haven't bothered to wash the sheets turned canopy yet, but I suppose I'll do it every once in a while. The nice thing is the T-posts are quite tall so I can stand up fully under the canopy.

Could you possibly hang three lines in your yard, then hang an old sheet on the outer lines and use the inner line for your laundry? Just hang your lines pretty high so you can stand under the canopy.

HTH!
#9 of 12 Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I think a canopy is a good idea. I'll have to see if DH can build it for me.

I don't know if a bird feeder would divert them or not. We have a ton of cardinals and robins, more than I've seen in a long time. We might just end up with more birds.

And the tree is like 50-60 feet tall and 13' around in our dinky suburban backyard so, not exactly a candidate for a quick trim.

V

#10 of 12 Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 AM

Pie plates hung in the tree near your clothesline will startle them.
#11 of 12 Old 06-18-2008, 01:44 AM

I just saw this on another thread and thought of you...
http://www.earthlingshandbook.org/laundry
#12 of 12 Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 PM

If you have a rotary style line (the kind on a central pole), can you move it?

I like the idea of putting a bird feeder on the opposite side of the yard from the clothes line too! We did something like that when dd1's play area was being poop-bombed... we hung a bird feeder on "her" tree and gradually over a week moved the feeder all the way across the lawn. The birds followed it and seem happy sitting in their "new" feeder full tree.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page