Reducing my ziploc habit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to reduce the amount of ziploc bags we use and wondered what you are doing to replace them.

For example, we store opened hard cheeses (i.e. cheddar blocks) in ziploc and I was wondering if I could use parchmant paper or wax paper? Could I use that for storing meat in the freezer as well?

What has your experience been?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We keep cheese in a glass jar. We save jars from jam, salsa, and such and wash and reuse them. If cheese gets moldy, we cut off the moldy part, wash the rest under hot water, put it in a clean jar, and wash the previous jar.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Another poster jumping in. How about avocado halves? I usually eat half an avocado (in a salad) per day, and keep the other half for the next day. It browns radically if put into a tupperware style container. It still browns a bit in the ziploc, but a lot less, and a very light scraping is all it needs to get rid of the brown layer. Ideas?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
zip locks are my weekness.

for cheese I just use the same siz lock from one block to the next. we go through cheese really fast (and usually get it pre-shredded because believe it or not it is cheaper that way here) so it doesn't get moldy or anything. another option would be to just use a non-disposable container.

avacados. . . I don't know if this is beter from an environmental standpoint but I use saran wrap and just press it to the top of the avacado.

for storing meat in the freezer if I need something split up from the original packaging I have the guy in the meat department split it for me and wrap it in butcher paper. I have always just freezed stuff in butcher paper.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Another poster jumping in. How about avocado halves? I usually eat half an avocado (in a salad) per day, and keep the other half for the next day. It browns radically if put into a tupperware style container. It still browns a bit in the ziploc, but a lot less, and a very light scraping is all it needs to get rid of the brown layer. Ideas?
Try putting a little lemon juice on the avocado before you put it in the tupperware. I usually just eat the brown part anyway, it won't hurt, it just looks icky.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 AM

I use plastic bags, but I use them over and over until they are just in sad shape. I just wash them out and let them dry over the dish detergent bottle. I know that I must use each bag at least 50 times before it gives out. I can't believe that I used to throw them out after one use (a long time ago. I didn't know any better back then.)
Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
another way to do avacodos - remove the pit and place them cut side down in the tupperware/glass container. this will keep air from getting to it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
I use plastic bags, but I use them over and over until they are just in sad shape. I just wash them out and let them dry over the dish detergent bottle. I know that I must use each bag at least 50 times before it gives out. I can't believe that I used to throw them out after one use (a long time ago. I didn't know any better back then.)
They say you're not supposed to reuse as there is a risk of bacteria. Saw it on Oprah so you know it must be true.

So no one has tried wax paper or parchemant paper?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
another way to do avacodos - remove the pit and place them cut side down in the tupperware/glass container. this will keep air from getting to it.
oh, I thought, though, that it's the pit that helps keep it from browning. I remember hearing that somewhere.

a squeeze of lemon juice on the exposed avocado definitely helps though.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 AM

I keep cheese in a small pyrex container with a plastic lid. I put avacados face down on a small dish with the pit removed and in the fridge. I don't worry about covering them as they are still in their skin. I used to wash plastic bags and use them again, but I don't anymore. I worry about bacteria. My big question is what to do with produce that doesn't involve plastic?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 AM

I use wax paper bags. I just fold it over and put the folded part under the cheese. The cheese stays fresh. I use them for veggies, etc and we have had no problems, in fact juicy stuff like cukes tend to stay fresh longer.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 PM

I don't buy waxed paper, plastic wrap or plastic bags. When you don't have them it is easy to figure out what to use that you do have!

I do reuse some of the bags my bread comes in, usually to freeze baking. I don't wash them first I usually just shake the crumbs out. Corningware with glass lids store food great. I store almost everything in glass jars that my food comes in. My produce keeps well in mesh laundry bags in the fridge or my fridgesmart tupperware. I think only the rock and serve stuff has the bad plastic in it. Tupperware must be safer to use than single use plastic bags. I know it is much, much better for the environment.

We keep avacado in glass once it is mashed. Face down on a plate should be good for a half of one.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Large and small yogurt tubs and salsa jars are the best... they keep everything fresh, I've never had problems with cheese, etc... in them.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 AM

I keep opened cheese in an empty cereal bag. It stays fresh and doesn't get the hard edges on it. I just put it in the bag, fold the bag in half to close, and toss it in the fridge. I've heard it also works for fruits and veggies.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I don't buy waxed paper, plastic wrap or plastic bags. When you don't have them it is easy to figure out what to use that you do have!

I do reuse some of the bags my bread comes in, usually to freeze baking. I don't wash them first I usually just shake the crumbs out. Corningware with glass lids store food great. I store almost everything in glass jars that my food comes in. My produce keeps well in mesh laundry bags in the fridge or my fridgesmart tupperware. I think only the rock and serve stuff has the bad plastic in it. Tupperware must be safer to use than single use plastic bags. I know it is much, much better for the environment.
This is pretty much exactly what I do.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Same here. I wash them and just let them dry. I always have at least 5-8 drying on my counter everyday.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 AM

I wash my plastic bags, and I don't give a flip what Oprah says. How is washing a plastic bag with soap different than washing a plastic container with soap?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I was reusing my plastic ziploc bags but now I've decided to go a step further and just discontinue buying them. I'm going to reuse the cereal bags, ziploc type bags, etc that come every day with other products (at least until I hopefully eventually weed out most processed food...ha...hey, one small step at a time, right?) I'm also saving the plastic wrapping that comes on some foods to be washed and reused again; these will mostly be used for gifting though.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM

We wrap our cut cheese in zip-lock bags but we're not happy about it. This thread made me think about using oil-cloth to wrap cheese in, because of cost, plastic being made from oil, and the evil plastic molecules migrating into our cheese.

Here's a thread about making oil cloth.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=829265

After looking at the thread about making oilcloth I think I might just start wrapping my cheese in heavy fabric, like canvas, and see how that works.

Wax paper falls apart when it gets wet and the wax glops up the composting system here, and I'd really rather use somethingthat is re-usable for years, rather than a week. Parchment paper might work for a while, but it will probably tear eventually and then you'll have to throw it away. I'll let you know how the cloth wrapping works for me.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 PM

We put everything we possibly can in glass or plastic containers (moving toward all glass).
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. Just leave the skin on the uneaten half and put it face down!

I believe the browning is from oxidization of the exposed fruit (like with apples). Haven't heard that the pit does anything magic.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yep, this is what I do. I use them for freezing stuff, and, well, everything. Once they're not airtight anymore I use them to sort and keep small things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
They say you're not supposed to reuse as there is a risk of bacteria. Saw it on Oprah so you know it must be true.

So no one has tried wax paper or parchemant paper?
Feh. Soap and water, I'm not scared.

I use parchment and waxed paper for some things--mostly in packed lunches. I also use covered stonewear or pyrex to store leftovers.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Forgetting the bacteria issue, does anyone worry about the plastic bags leaching b/c they are not made to be used over and over- much like water bottles?

I use the wrap n mats for wrapping things like cheese, half used onions, green peppers, etc.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom View Post
Forgetting the bacteria issue, does anyone worry about the plastic bags leaching b/c they are not made to be used over and over- much like water bottles?

I use the wrap n mats for wrapping things like cheese, half used onions, green peppers, etc.
If I were putting liquids in them, I might worry about leaching. But as it is, no.

I'm intrigued by the wrap'n'mats, though.

User Tag List