Do you rescue stuff? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the recycling center dropping stuff off yesterday when I noticed that once again people had deposited mattresses under the sign that said no mattresses....people are so rude.

When I went into the paper building someone had left a decent suitcase inside. Now I don't need a suitcase but it bugs me to see good stuff thrown away so I picked it up and took it home and checked it over - yep it was clean. So next time I make a charity donation I will give them the suitcase too.

One time our neighbors across the street placed a whole bunch of lightly used (nice and clean) stuff in and around their trash can on garbage day. I snuck out early in the morning and loaded it in my car and took it to the charity. I just can't stand the waste.

Do any of you do weird things like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 AM

I really would like to.....
but we are in the constant state of decluttering and I really try to restrain myself from increasing any stuff in our house.
If there would be a gem like the suitcase you found, I would not resist Whether to give it to the charity or to keep it...

But... if it's really free and you can save it from going to the dumpster I would tend to keep it and give it some place somewhere, as you said often the charityshops might find it useful.

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I do this a lot, especially if I see things I can use or know others can. I also do give to charities, but you have to be careful because a lot of charities throw a lot out. I give to a good mission charity that leaves things outside for people if they feel they can't sell it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 AM

I do, but only if I can actually use it. My neighbours were moving and were throwing out kids stuff that we were going to buy anyway (like a little wading pool) so I "rescued" it.

DF took pics
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/DSC02930.jpg

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM

We have those big green and yellow paper recycling bins in our town, and I "rescue" a lot of good magazines from them. They are ones I would never buy in the store (Good Housekeeping, Redbook, Glamour, etc.), but I'm happy to read them for free and then put them back in the recycling bin. I'm always surprised (though, by this point, after doing this for a couple of years, I shouldn't be) to find recent - like, not even out on the magazine racks yet - copies. People must get them in the mail, flip through them and then just toss them.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 AM

I have never met a "FREE" pile that I did not at least want to stop and check it out : ) LOL, ok, maybe not ALWAYS... but alot of the time!! Just recently I picked up some after tag sale left overs that I am loving- mostly pretty salad plates...

My dh hates when I do this but he has gotten used to it, poor guy... My one rule thos is the "in/out ruke"... if I trash pick X amount of items then that number must go out... 3 things in = 3 things out...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM

My friends and I all dumpster dive (there are actually shows about doing this on DIY, HGTV, DiscoveryHome, etc)

However, our local recycling centers and dump all have very strict "no scavenging" rules. You face a pretty steep fine for removing ANYTHING from the facility. So we visit free piles, curbside "furniture/large item" days, mall dumpsters, etc but can't rescue anything that's already made it's way to a center/facility.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
My friends and I all dumpster dive (there are actually shows about doing this on DIY, HGTV, DiscoveryHome, etc)
people throw out everything even brand new with tags!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
However, our local recycling centers and dump all have very strict "no scavenging" rules. You face a pretty steep fine for removing ANYTHING from the facility.
yep you have to leave things in the dump. now if i ever heard of a stupid rule that has to be it.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'll probably be rescuing some dresser drawers tomorrow. Someone left a dresser outside that's pretty torn up so it wouldn't be off great use for much else but the drawers can be taken for either shelves, shadowboxes or (my use for the moment) general storage containers. I have an open closet in the new nursery and I'd rather have those than cardboard boxes or the like.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 PM

I do this all the time. I always know somebody who can use it or worst case senario donate it. I never turn down anything free. I have gotten a lot of really neat stuff for my kids this way and lots and lots of brand new books. What do I do with them when I'm through?? Give them away or to the library where the sell even the best newest ones for 25-50 cents. Can't beat that and it helps them keep their costs down.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM

I would love to do this, but like the other poster, I am working hard to declutter and get rid of stuff. My mother lives with us, and she is probably a borderline hoarder, so I'm afraid to bring anything in for fear that we can't get rid of it!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Last weekend we went to a family BBQ at my Aunt and Uncle's house. The amount of garbage produced during an event like this is disgusting.

I saved a whole bunch of "disposable" plastic plates from being put into the landfill. I say "disposable" because these were thick plastic dishes that are solidly built and they were not recyclable.

"These are great," I said to my Aunt. "You can wash them and you don't have to worry about them getting broken!"

"Oh were just throwing then out." She said.

So I went into the garbage(it was clean garbage) to get them to bring them home. We have friends over and campfires a lot and they are perfect to serve food on when everyone has had a few drinks.

My Aunt went outside complaining about how, "You can buy them at the dollar store for heavens sake."

Okay let me get this right. Because they were purchased at the dollar store that makes it okay to just throw them out and buy more.

She totally missed the whole point. : And now she just thinks I am poor! Which I'm not BTW. I just can't stand to see so much waste and no one even bats an eye at it.

Grrr!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
I do, but only if I can actually use it. My neighbours were moving and were throwing out kids stuff that we were going to buy anyway (like a little wading pool) so I "rescued" it.

DF took pics
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...1/DSC02930.jpg
I can't believe they were going to just throw that out!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM

They were moving and their kids are older. It's also quite faded, and there a few tiny holes in the bottom. (I think someone used a nail to try and provide drainage and use it as a sandbox)

But yeah, it lets my 10 mo have somewhere cool to sit in the hot weather, so I don't care!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM

I've gotten MANY things from the curbside...furniture, carpeting, exercise equipment...lots of things.

Our community had unlimited pickup once a month, and everyone puts things out...and you can tell when it's free pickup day because you see trucks and vans driving slowly up and down roads. :

When we first moved here, we put a bunch of stuff out that month including a broken tv and I am happy to say that it all got picked up...by others and not the garbage man!

User Tag List