trash bags - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sure something like this has been discussed before, but the search function is disabled so I can't find anything. I am trying hard these days to reduce. Right now, I am in the process of making some reusable grocery bags out of old clothes I have around the house. I am also making reusable produce bags. When I am done with this, I see no more plastic bags coming into the house. Right now, we use the plastic bags to line the little trash cans in the bathrooms. What do you use to line your little trash cans? I realize we could just not line them, but then I guess I would have to wash them. Not the worst thing in the world, but I am just wondering if there is another option. Also, what do you use in place of a tall kitchen garbage bag?

Thanks!

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#2 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM

:

Looking for ideas too. Bonus points to the poster who has an idea where I'm not washing the cans all the time.
#3 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 AM

I don't have a solution for the tall bags, but for the small cans, you could always go to the local grocery store and take the plastic bags that other people recycle. That way, you're not "culpable" for taking new plastic bags. You can't really recycle those plastic bags that other people have used into anything useful anyway, so you might as well recycle them into your trash bags!
#4 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhoney View Post
I don't have a solution for the tall bags, but for the small cans, you could always go to the local grocery store and take the plastic bags that other people recycle. That way, you're not "culpable" for taking new plastic bags. You can't really recycle those plastic bags that other people have used into anything useful anyway, so you might as well recycle them into your trash bags!
Yeah that! I also use plastic produce bags too!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#5 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 PM

I don't line the small cans (like in a bathroom or bedroom). If they get dirty, I wash them.
#6 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 06:45 PM

You could line the small ones with newspaper.
#7 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM

you can always just use plastic bags that come with stuff that you buy for your trash. There are always some kind of plastic thingy that you can stuff your trash into.

I am trying for zero trash, but I buy too much processed food. If you squeeze and flatten your trash into one of the good flex 30 gallon kind, you can get a lot in there.

A trash compactor would take paper bags, but they cost about $250 and I have not gotten one. I just stomp on my trash.
#8 of 10 Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhoney View Post
...You can't really recycle those plastic bags that other people have used into anything useful anyway...
Au contraire! People are crafting w/those plastic grocery sacks! This is one of my favorite items so far http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=11747166

Anyway, carry on... I'm interested to hear what other people are doing for their trash bags too
I currently use paper grocery bags under the sink cuz they're usually made of post consumer waste and will biodegrade sometime in the next century as opposed to plastic, that's why I switched. I'm still not thrilled w/using paper b/c of the tree cutting down factor even if it's sustainably harvested and all that, but haven't come up w/a better solution. Since we compost and recycle there's not a whole lot of trash especially of the leaky variety, wish I could be trash free...
We don't line the desk and bathroom trash cans anymore and they only seem to need washing a few times a year...? It's not bad.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#9 of 10 Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We keep our big trashcan outside and don't line it. That way it doesn't really need cleaning often if at all. The other trashcans are for paper type goods (which later get recycled) so theres no problem if they aren't lined. Not having trash contained in plastic bags helps the decomposition of whatever is in your trash that can decompose.
#10 of 10 Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
We keep our big trashcan outside and don't line it. That way it doesn't really need cleaning often if at all. The other trashcans are for paper type goods (which later get recycled) so theres no problem if they aren't lined. Not having trash contained in plastic bags helps the decomposition of whatever is in your trash that can decompose.
This is why I love MDC. I am always learning. Since we started composting all of our garbage is dry. I have been using the grocery bags DH brings home because he can never remember to take the cloth ones into the store : Anyways my garbage is not moist because all the food scraps are in the compost now. I don't use a garbage bag in my big outside garbage can and now that I am thinking about it, I have no need for one in my little kitchen one either!

From now on I'll be taking my extra bags to the stores downtown to be reused.

Thanks happyhats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page