what car would you get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the market and am considering a Prius, but I have to admit that I'm on the fence because there isn't any conclusive information on whether or not the EMF is harmful. my guess is that it's not exactly good for anyone, but neither is our copious use of fossil fuels... your opinion on that is welcome

I'm also considering either a Matrix or a Jetta wagon, even though I would love a Passat wagon... the Matrix base model seems to get the best mileage out of all of them (26/32) but then it doesn't have AWD, which I'd like to have for the winter. the Jetta wagon gets the same as the other trims of Matrix and the Passat wagon is basically the same but costs more (and is obvs nicer!).

I just find that I keep going in circles. I want to get something that's better as far as fuel consumption (I currently have an X3), but it also needs to be functional for family use. what would you do?
#2 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 AM

I'm interested in opinions on this as well. I'm planning on getting a new car in January (as long as my '95 van makes it that long ). I'm currently looking at the Scion XD.
#3 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 12:22 PM

No plans to replace our 96 Camry or our 97 Volvo 850. If either of them kicks the bucket we're pretty sure we're getting another Camry, used. If we could get a hybrid one, even better.

I love Volkswagens. But I have this love hate relationship. My heart and my driver's instinct loves VWs. My wallet absolutely hates them. My family is supposed to slap me up 'side the head if I try buying one again. The electrical systems are awful. (I've owned three.) So given the choice, I would pick the Matrix.

In an ideal world, we would have the cash and this would be available in the six-passenger size the next time we need a car: MDI Air Car
#4 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We've had a Prius for 7 months and love it! My opinion is that the EMF isn't that much more than a lot of other sources (such as working with computers) and isn't proven to be harmful, whereas petroleum consumption certainly is harmful and we're running out of the stuff, so cutting gas usage is very important.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Besides just fuel economy I would check to see how each of those cars hold up in the long run. Have you checked out their consumer reports ratings?
#6 of 9 Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
We have VW TDIs we run on biodiesel. We have a used 99.5 Jetta who is running a bit rough at the moment, but no real problems as yet and a 2004 Golf that runs like a dream. We've never had a bit of problems with it. I have heard people rag on VWs before, but the diesel engine is different than the gasoline one.

We get close to 40mpg, but I haven't been able to quite make it over 40. Usually it's around 38/39 with a mix of city/hwy driving. We run b100 most of the time which is derived from used cooking oil or chicken fat (!). We belong to a biodiesel co-op. We use synthetic oil (as recommended by VW) so no petro for us if we can avoid it! If we're caught out on the road w/o biodiesel nearby they run just fine on regular petro diesel, too. There is no modification necessary to the vehicle to run biodiesel (different from running straight grease; biodiesel is a fuel made from waste veggie oil/fat).

I'd love a Jetta wagon or even an old Mercedes wagon. We have a Jetta sedan and a Golf hatch.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#7 of 9 Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 PM

I have been looking at the Prius myself but am scared to death of how much it may cost to replace parts/batteries in the long haul. We are ones to keep a car until it's dead. I can't stand trade ins. Those car places rob you and you end up paying way too much. Hard lesson learned. I will keep a watch on this one. Tell us what you decide. I hope more chime in!!
#8 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM

I really trust Consumer Reports when it comes to car buying. Check out their web site. You won't get all the details that are found in their yearly publication, but it still has good information.
#9 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, a hybrid is useful in traffic and stop n' go type situations. If you do highway driving, it isn't very useful (typically the gas engine kicks in after x speed).

The AWD vehicle will get less gas mileage then a 2 wheel drive.

So, I guess I'd ask what type of driving you do before you make a hybrid decision. The batteries are warrantied for 10 years. As far as the cost for other repairs, your guess is as good as mine.

For better gas mileage, your best bet is a 2wd. We live in MA and my dh has a 2wd. No problems yet. I did 360s in my AWD SUV while pregnant a few years ago. Go figure.

As far as brands, the best out there right now is Honda concerning qualty. Ford and Toyota are equal and from there on...I can't remember. If you buy used, the quality story would be different, Toyota outpaced Ford and Honda was still near or at the top.

HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page