Replacement of plastic grocery bags for trash cans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I just purchased some reusable grocery bags (yes, I know I'm late to the game on that front ) and I'm wondering what to line small trash cans and particularly my son's diaper pail with now that I won't be getting plastic bags.

(I CD'd with my first, I don't now so that's not a solution). Are there biodegradable small plastic bags that are inexpensive? Does Seventh Generation make a decent trash bags?

Guidance would be helpful, thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

You can get the same kind of washable wetbag that are made to line diaper pails for cloth dipes. Or I think you can even get them at camping stores.
#3 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 AM

I don't use anything. I just contain the stuff that goes into the small baskest as paper waste that ends up going in the recycle bin anyway and use the large trash can in the kitchen for stuff that would be messy.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#4 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 05:42 PM

I reuse any sort of bag to use as trash bags. Most of the bags I bring into the house are from food- bread bags, cereal bags, a bag that rice comes in, bags from water softener salt, etc. The bags are usually smaller and not as strong as garbage bags, but that doesn't bother me.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I reuse any sort of bag to use as trash bags. Most of the bags I bring into the house are from food- bread bags, cereal bags, a bag that rice comes in, bags from water softener salt, etc. The bags are usually smaller and not as strong as garbage bags, but that doesn't bother me.
Same here. If I can't recycle it, it becomes a trash bag. I put up a kid's pants hanger (with the slidey-clipy things) in the bathroom and the "trash" bag hangs from the clips.
Our city garbage requires all garbage to be in at least 10 gallon bags, so we use the little bags throughout the house then dump it all into the kitchen bag before trash day.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#6 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM

You can do without plastic bags in some trash cans, like in bedrooms- just rinse the trash cans out when they get yucky. Or just empty the trash but leave the plastic bag in there for more than one use.

If your grocery store has a bin for recycling plastic bags you could also grab a few "used" but clean ones from there.

We made the switch to reusable shopping bags quite awhile ago and I am STILL working my way through our plastic bag stash. So it may be awhile before you have a problem!
#7 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
I don't use anything. I just contain the stuff that goes into the small baskest as paper waste that ends up going in the recycle bin anyway and use the large trash can in the kitchen for stuff that would be messy.
Ditto! I don't use bags in any other can than the big one in the kitchen. If it's normal bathroom waste, I just throw it in the bathroom, and sort it for recycling later. If it's yucky, I throw it in the kitchen garbage.
#8 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM

if you want something to line the trash can you can use a chico bag or for a taller can a diaper pail liner and then just wash them when they get dirty. or just empty the smaller cans into a larger bag on trash day and hose out the smaller cans.
#9 of 9 Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM

I second the camping bags. When I was very desperate and lived near a Walmart only, I found a "wet bag" type thing in their camping section. It was ugly and not completely waterproof, but it was cheap and I washed it. I used it for DD1's diaper pail for cloth diapers. since you are using 'sposies, you probably want something to throw away, and I would say that after you fill the "camping bag" you can throw that in the wash and throw the 'sposies in your regular trash.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page