Can I use baby food jars to freeze things? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like fruits and veggies? Sometimes we get really great things at the farmers market and since the kids dont eat it all before it goes bad, I thought I could freeze some of it. I only want small portions to cut down on waste, so I thought of asking a fellow mama to save her baby food jars for me. For some reason I thought the lids on those jars was leeching stuff, but I could be wrong...Has anyone re-used those? Could I get different lids somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 PM

I have frozen things in glass jars before for short periods of time (< 1 month) with no bad results. Also, I have not heard anything about the lids being bad, but I have never actually bought a jar of "babyfood".
Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to the Green Living/Recycling forum and see if you get some more feedback.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 AM

I do, I specifically bought some baby food to have the jars for freezing (especially breastmilk!). The food doesn't touch the lid, so I'm not concerned about it leaching anything.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM

I freeze my stock and leftover soups etc in Mason jars. IME it works fine as long as I don't fill the jar all the way or cover it at first. Anything with water in it will expand, so if you don't leave enough room it will break the glass.

What I do (and this is with quart jars, obviously with a smaller jar you'd leave less space) is fill them to within an inch of the top and then put them in the freezer without a cover. Once the contents are frozen - a few hours - I put the cover on. The food never actually comes in contact with the lid.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM

The majority (if not all) of these kinds of lids contain BPA in them.

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM

From Stocking Up by Carol Hupping : "Choose straight sided glass jars over those with narrow necks and shoulders...those with straight sides are more stable, minimizing the chance of breakage."
Hope this helps.

User Tag List