How to dispose of toxic plastics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, in my latest crusade to remove toxic plastics from my kids' mouths (yeah, I know, slow on the uptake, but hey, I'm trying...), I have discovered that we have two Avent sippy cups, one Avent bottle, and several Avent pacis, all on the list of products to be avoided. Needless to say, they will be leaving this house in one form or another, but I have to admit ignorance on what to do with them.

I obviously don't want to give them away because unsafe is unsafe.

Is this stuff recyclable, or do I have to add to the landfills? Or are there any programs for this stuff that won't end up in it being reused by innocent babies?

TIA!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Can you use them in the garage? Like, for nails and whatnot. Can you use them for craft projects, like mixing paint? In other words, find a use that is already off-limits for mouthing.

AFAIK the pacis will have to go in the garbage. I assume they are multiple materials and therefore unsuitable for recycling no matter what the plastic types.

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Is this stuff recyclable, or do I have to add to the landfills?
Do you recycle normally? Because if so, just look for the triangle with the number in it like you would on any other plastic container. Depending on your county/city recycling pick up program, or what recycling depots you have in the area, just dispose of it accordingly. (Usually anything numbered #1-7 can be put out at the curb.)

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the Green Living forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Just put them in the blue bin.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Do you recycle normally? Because if so, just look for the triangle with the number in it like you would on any other plastic container. Depending on your county/city recycling pick up program, or what recycling depots you have in the area, just dispose of it accordingly. (Usually anything numbered #1-7 can be put out at the curb.)
Yes, we do recycle normally. These however, have no numbers, and Avent declines to put numbers on their stuff. According to their website, they are reviewing clearer labeling for the future, but have not answered any questions regarding what number their plastics are at the moment. Hence my question about whether these can be recycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Just put them in the blue bin.
We only have one bin. It is blue, but is that what you are referring to? And can the pacis go in there too?

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#7 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 AM

Look up the recycling info for your city.

We can put pacis in ours.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
According to their website, they are reviewing clearer labeling for the future, but have not answered any questions regarding what number their plastics are at the moment. Hence my question about whether these can be recycled.
If your recycling program accepts all numbers, just go ahead and recycle it with the rest of your plastics. Or find a depot that does.

Have you asked them how to dispose of their products? Maybe you can send it back to them (though the shipping and fuel wasted for that wouldn't be much better than just throwing it in the trash).

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#9 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 AM

I think some Babies R Us stores are doing a "trade in" program for those products. You could try checking with them if you have one locally.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#10 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian+1 View Post
Can you use them in the garage? Like, for nails and whatnot. Can you use them for craft projects, like mixing paint? In other words, find a use that is already off-limits for mouthing.
This is a great idea. I thought about it a bit, and my two Avent sippy cups are now going to be repurposed as paint splatterers - they drip just enough that dd1 could shake paint out of them into a kind of pattern. Anyway, we will give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

#11 of 12 Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Look up the recycling info for your city.

We can put pacis in ours.
I checked, they don't say yes or no on their website. I'll call them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
If your recycling program accepts all numbers, just go ahead and recycle it with the rest of your plastics. Or find a depot that does.

Have you asked them how to dispose of their products? Maybe you can send it back to them (though the shipping and fuel wasted for that wouldn't be much better than just throwing it in the trash).
I will email Avent and see if they have any bright ideas. Thanks.

#12 of 12 Old 07-19-2008, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow, good to know about the babies are us doing a trade in program? Anymore info on that? I'll have to look that up. I'm starting, slowly, to weed out plastics and I know I'll be getting some from baby showers, etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page