Worms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a worm bin for there compost?

How hard is it to set up and maintain, im having a hard time getting my husband to agree to it lol

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM

We have the composting worms directly in our garden and feed them as if they were in a bin.

There are threads in Diggin' in the Earth forum you can read on this topic.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM

I just started a thread on this under general green living, called "vermi-compost enthusiasts", but of course a newbie is welcome too (heck, I'm a newb, just an enthusiastic one!)

They are not that difficult to run and it's a lot of fun. You can make the bin yourself out of a rubbermaid tub or buy something fancier (you can see my vermi chalet in my blog, in sig). Plus the worm castings are superior to regular compost.

If your hubby is not so sure about it, why not set a smaller system up outside while the weather is warm and see how he likes it? We have ours in our basement. It doesn't smell bad at all, fwiw. You might get some flies though, honestly.
#4 of 4 Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM

I put off and put off setting up a bin bc I wanted DH to drill the holes in it for me (lame, I know, but I was lazy about going to look for the tools). Anyway - I ended up setting it up in less than 30 minutes bc my friend was bringing over the worms RIGHT NOW.

As for care and feeding - I feed mine every Wednesday, and sometimes on the weekends. DD used to have a friend come over each Wednesday and that was an activity we did together - throw compost into the bin. Now they need food more often so I usually toss them a treat on weekends as well.

We store ours under the vanity in our master bathroom - no one would know what it was if I hadn't said something about it. It's hot here in the summer so I wanted to keep ours inside. There has been no smell and, except for a few weeks when the bin was too wet, there have been no bugs (we had a gnat infestation that is now gone).

Cheers!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page