Thrifty Finds - 2008 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every year during yard sale season, I like to find out what truly great finds have been discovered by us discerning thrifty shoppers!

So ... let's talk greatest yard-garage-tag sale/flea market/thrift store/consignment shop/Trading Post finds 2008!

Thus far, mine have been ...

a pair of NWT Enzo Angiolini sandals (orig $93) for a dollar at the church thrift store

A nearly-complete (I just need to find the shoes someplace, one is missing) American Girl Bitty Baby "Santa's Helper 2000" set (retired), still in the (giftable-condition) box - which will make a great Cmas prez for DD, who last year wanted ONLY a Bitty Baby and this year wants only BB accessories - 4 bucks at a yard sale

More to come - I've only begun to dig this summer!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#2 of 25 Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

I have bought 6 new shirts, a skirt and 2 purses from our consignment shop in town for less than $60!
#3 of 25 Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

My local twins club has a semi-annual sale that is obnoxiously HUGE. We usually have over 100 sellers all getting rid of a year's worth of clothes, toys, and equipment for pennies on the dollar.

This year I bought complete spring/summer wardrobes for all 3 kids + shoes & pajamas, etc, a new stash of indoor and outdoor toys, and some random gear that I needed (potties and such) for under $100. Most of the clothes were name brand and we're not allowed to sell stained or ripped items so it's always good quality stuff. Really didn't need to spend quite that much, but couldn't resist. Looking forward to the fall/winter sale this coming September......... :
#4 of 25 Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM

I just got a double tandem stroller at the thrift store for $15. It's in great condition too--my neighbor thought it was brand new:-)
#5 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

My little guy is totally into cars and trucks. So we got him the Cars movie which he adores. In the past 2 wks I've gotten the Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson shake and go cars. 1 for $.80 at goodwill and 1 for $.10 at the library's kids yard sale. They sell for $12 a peice in the store!
#6 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

I'm a thrift store fiend soo i thought i'd chime in.
At the corner shop i found a metal framed baby back pack carrier with sun canopy for 4 dollars. A Prada purse for 2.99 LOL. Awesome italian leather boots for a buck! I found brand new black Sketcher runners forr hubby also a buck.
The church down the steet had a huge sale where all clothes were 25 cents. I found my hubby an awesome London Fog jacket, fall clothes, shoes and boots for the girls for 10bucks.
i just love a good deal it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
#7 of 25 Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 PM

A month or so ago I found a train table with the drawers stuffed full of track with a roundhouse and a station and trains for $10 at a local consignment shop. I was floored. It's in the playroom!:
#8 of 25 Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm a avid thrift store shopper. I've recently purchased to tons of clothes for me and my kids for pennies on the dollar. I finally found a perfect buffet/storage unit on craigslist and when I looked it up it's reselling for 4X's as much as I paid, woohoo...plus I just love it. My best score lately though was my wrought iron scrollwork bar/wine rack. It probably sold retail for hundreds and I paid $50 and it looks awesome...even dh was like "Wow, that's nice!"

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#9 of 25 Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 AM

I found two nearly brand new Patagonia winter coats at our Goodwill. One we'll use for ds this winter and the other next! Books!! Wonderful books at our Goodwill also, some .09, .20, and a few for about a nickel!

Mama to Milo 8-06 and wife to Matt. 2nd grade teacher and wannabe urban homesteader! ::
#10 of 25 Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 AM

So far this year:

I spent $22 dollars at one yard sale and got all the fall clothes my baby could possibly need, all brand new looking and super cute, eight winter sleepers for baby, a winter coat for her (still had a tag), a boppy pillow (which I recovered with aqua colored minkee fabric), a brand new copy of The Sleeping Beauty (they'd been given two as presents), one cool baby toy, and a very old two headed dragon toy (my brother had one when we were kids, lol).

Dp loves yard sales, he is always bringing things home this time of year. He has managed to add to our preexisting used collections of k'nex, big legos (we have bought some of these new too), medium legos w/people and animals, and little legos and people. These collections are extensive, and especially the little legos, would have cost us a fortune all new. He's found new pieces at several different sales. He bought me a wonderfully comfortable and in excellent condition rocking recliner for $40. A nice stroller and a supersaucer thing (never would have bought one new, but its cool) for $3 a piece. Garfield books, Harry Potter books, and some other juvenile books for super cheap and Disney's Bambi, Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Mickey's x-mas movies for a $1 a piece.

Just yesterday he brought home a giant black trash bag (santa style) with more med. legos w/people and animals (too cute), lincoln logs, 3 veggie tale videos, some horses and my little ponies, and a few other things for $5.

blogging.jpg

#11 of 25 Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM

My favourite finds this year:

A small wooden cabinet for DD, $5 .... I had wanted a wooden play kitchen for her but they are way too expensive for our budget, and then I found this! Maybe I'll paint some burners on it.

An old fashioned sauerkraut crock... it's small, just the perfect size for me! And only $2!!!

A lovely framed Picasso print of a mother nursing her child... I've wanted some good art for a long time (and even have wanted some breastfeeding art!), but never find any at our local thrift. Then I went to the thrift in my mom's city and found this print... I was so happy! :

Some other art prints that are mounted on wood, so very nice and durable... Picasso, Monet, Dali and others.

I've found lots of very decent toys, and rounded off an entire wooden block collection (which took me about 6 months to complete) for under $5, whereas a brand new set costs $150.

A really nice vintage platter with prints of dill flowers on it. I love it.
#12 of 25 Old 08-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Cole Haan suede shoulder bag EC! $3 and to boot the $ went to a fundraiser for a local breastfeeding support group:
#13 of 25 Old 08-22-2008, 01:17 AM

A local goodwill-ish type place has been having back to school sales. They have coupons for 1/2 off up to 4 clothing items, $.25 books, and B1G1F shoes. So the other day I went and got about 6 activity books (mazes, paint with water, etc) for $.19 each, then another 6-8 story books for dd. A skort for dd for .99, a swim diaper for ds for .50. Didn't see any shoes that any of us could use so I skipped that one. I walked out with a big bag of stuff for $4 and some change.
#14 of 25 Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 PM

My latest find was DD's first "real" bike - a Schwinn Tigress (selling between $65 - $135) for $5.25 in great condition. It will be her 3rd b-day present
#15 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 PM

My best finds for the year?

hmm.. I bought a click clack chair futon ish for $35..

I bought a whole set of wicker furniture 5 chairs, two endtables for $225

I bought several metal plant stands for $5 each

I bought wall hangings, pictures, etc.. various prices..

Set of 7 designer curtains for $75. But they were originally about $400

Globe style bar for $15

new pillar candle set $2

gorgeous cedar white board, bulletin board thing magnetic.. $4.50 (bought today!)

TALL gorgeous ceramic elephant shaped plant stand $35 (REALLY wanted this!)

Tons of kids clothes, Hanna, Gap, Abercrombie $1-$2 each many with tags still attached..

pine bunk bed set $225 the floor model exactly the same at the furniture store was over $700

We bought a house this year, so I have picked up a lot of furniture/household stuff, can you tell?
#16 of 25 Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 PM

A large mesh basketball hoop/ball catcher/enclosed game for $5.00
2 mesh cubes with multiple openings for a LO to crawl through $3.00
The kids love them!!:
2 free books, the sale holder wanted to give me 2 bags of free books but I said no!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#17 of 25 Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM

A round dining table with two drop down leaves - free, put out for the rubbish collection :

A vintage Singer 319k in a cabinet with the original accessory box, all the fashion discs and numerous bobbins £40

Since I got her I haven't taken my 8yo Frister and Rossman out of its hiding place because she is just a dream to sew on and the cabinet means I don't have to clear a space on the table to sew!

We have received several bags of handed down clothes and have passed many of them on to other little girls as we just don't have the space to store tons of clothing no matter how gorgeous it is.
#18 of 25 Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Here's what I have managed to buy for less or get for free:

Little Tykes Log Cabin Playhouse - free
Spring Horse - free
Large Slow Cooker - Traded for my small one
Clothes - $1 -$5
Books - .25 - $3
My lovable Dog - free
Flat Iron - free
Lazy Boy style Recliner - free
Apples - free

Most stuff I get off of freecycle, craigslist, and kijiji . I'm a frequent shopper at thrift stores always check there and the above places first before buying new.
#19 of 25 Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM

This summer I got

-sleeper for ds .50 cents
-2 sleepers for baby coming 2.00
-snowsuit for baby 2.99
-maternity sweater for me 10.00( a splurge but i loved it)
-a panel for a xmas tree skirt for mil solstice present 2.99!!!(her whole gift will cost less then 5 bucks!!!!)
-vinyl record for dh for solstice 1.99
-double stroller/6 glass bottles(fully intend to bf but they are still handy to have-FREE on freecycle!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#20 of 25 Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Xoe

Hmmmm....I have to think. The best stuff includes a Little Critters doll house with toys. I bought it for $5 at thrift shop. Came home and found out that the doll house alone was $60, and that they are collectables, esp. in Japan. 2 different Thrift Shop bag sales totally revamped my wardrobe for a grand total of $12. A lot of the stuff was new with the tags still on them. Freecycle has blessed me with a $400 doppler baby monitor for monitoring the fetus in utero, a pretty good double stroller, 2 Britax car seats, and other small things. (I also give back on Freecycle.) The night before garbage day, I saved several hundred dollars when I found a Step2 climb and slide cube, and a Step 2 Play Cottage at the curb, waiting to join the town dump. They are now scrubbed up and in my back yard.

Frankly.....I love being thrifty.

xoe
#21 of 25 Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM

Ok- I found a new in box magnetic spice jar holder. It holds 4 spices with glass tops. They are stainless steel I think..

My old spice rack was wood and took up a lot of space on the counter top, so this was a GREAT find!

Now what 4 spices should I put in it? An italian herb blend, pumpkin pie mix, seasoning salt, and hmmm? Paprika?? I don't really use chili powder..

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13335672

Mine is like this, only 4 instead of 6.. I paid $3
#22 of 25 Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 AM

My best find at a thrift shop was an almost new Ergo for $4. I kept looking around nervously wondering if someone would notice that I was buying it for so little.

I felt a little bad that the charity didn't know what they were selling, but since I already have an Ergo, I gave it to a local mama who needed one. I found her through a midwife friend, and I have since seen her at the farmer's market wearing her little one. It makes me feel O.K. about buying it cheap from the thrift store.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#23 of 25 Old 11-02-2008, 11:53 PM

I got a comforter for one son's bed.. lucky find too because I already had that print in pillow sham and curtain valance! Woot!

I got a turbo twist for my hair $.99

two koi fish/palm wall hangings $6.99 each- not super cheap, but really nice!
#24 of 25 Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM

During yard-sale season this year, I was out looking for mirrors. I found a nice portrait one that a gentleman had for sale for $10. It had a nice frame, and I was going to distress it. He threw a toboggan in with the sale, and off we went, mirror in hand. I was admiring the newness of it when I got home (it had obviously never been hung), when I noticed a small sticker in the bottom corner. It said, "Restoration Hardware" (a high-end store I've never been to) and "$127"! I went on to their website, and found that most of their mirrors are in the $300-range. I don't know if he sold this by accident and his wife (who wasn't there at the time) freaked out when she found it gone or what, but their loss is definitely my gain! We had a really good bargain-hunting season, actually:

DH found a brand-new extension ladder (which we needed) and a shop vac, $40 for both,

A lovely chantilly mirror with a solid oak frame & base for $30

A Lane cedar chest for $15,

A stainless steel professional photobox for $2 (valued at around $90, sold on ebay for $40).
#25 of 25 Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Oh, where to start! I just got my 3 yr. old a pair of Reidell figure skates new at Goodwill for $4.49. She is starting her lessons from my older daughter who figure skate and competed for many years and if you know skates you know these were a deal. DH just got a brand new pair of Birkenstock shoes (not sandals) at Goodwill for $15.00. Then last weekend we found a brand new pair of Merrels for the babe for $3.00 at Goodwill. The bargains just keep rolling in :

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page