Why do people always think I'm trying to be cheap! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't understand. I like to take things that aren't being used and put them to good use. This time it is a Bean bag table tray. The bean bag busted and I threw it out when we were moving but now need it and want to figure out how to fill it with something I have. So I go next door and ask her what she thinks I can use and she tells me to go to Walmart and buy a refill. She knows I'm green and I'd rather not take the damn thing if that means I would be paying for something that is poisoning our planet. I just don't get it! She is supposed to be AP and like minded and preachs and teaches but doesn't follow through because she has 3 kids and a house to take care of so she can be lazy. So she thinks I'm cheap now(even though we are some times) because I never want to buy new I'd rather just use something we have. It doesn't make sense to me to throw away money like that just for one more thing to take up space.

Anyways I need to fill this damn tray and I don't have styrofoam of any kind to bust up. It's for a road trip to sit on DDs lap. Do you think we could just crumple little balls of paper? or squares of card board? Any creative ideas please just throw them out here.

BTW is there a ranting section to let off steam somewhere? I really think I could use it since they are the ones who pet and play with our new puppy when he leaves the yard then complain when he goes over there and poops or just wonders. I mean what did you expect? He was good at first but you kept communicating to him it was ok. Is it to much for you to stick your head out the door and yell at him a little or call me when it happens instead of just sitting and watching it happen till you get mad at us?

So sorry, but I really needed to get that out.
#2 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM

What about dry beans or rice??
#3 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea except we don't have enough and it is our food source. I guess we are cheap but not because we are hoarding money or spending it stupidly, but because we just moved a year ago and every penny has to go to our food and bills because we just don't make enough, and every time we get ahead the world comes crashing down and costs us more money we don't have, lol. Not to mention we are an hour from the city and with DH commuting, and gas prices(he did work 3 12 hour shifts but right after we moved they changed his shift to 5 8hour shifts! That really hurt us) I don't get out of the house more than twice a month, maybe one of those trips is to the city. And we are leaving in a week.
#4 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM

I would wad up some more fabric to put it in there, you just need something to make it more cush, right? You're talking about those trays with the bean bag backing to sit on your lap more comfortably, correct?

If nothing else, use an unused pillowcase. When the trip is over, you can take it out and use it. I wouldn't use paper, because if it gets wet, it gets messy.

And yeah the venting forum....
#5 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
I would wad up some more fabric to put it in there, you just need something to make it more cush, right? You're talking about those trays with the bean bag backing to sit on your lap more comfortably, correct?

If nothing else, use an unused pillowcase. When the trip is over, you can take it out and use it. I wouldn't use paper, because if it gets wet, it gets messy.

And yeah the venting forum....
Fabric I have! Oh and thanks for the venting forum I must go find it now. But in the mean time I'd like to see if there are any more creative ideas, but the fabric I will keep in mind. Would it be shifty enough though so it would adjust to the incline if it changes.

Oh and I was thinking maybe usingin the single mega blocks or blocks the same size, but was wondering if they would be too big. When DD gets up whe'll have to check it out.

Keep them coming...
#6 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 PM

maybe yarn or fabric scraps?
#7 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM

If you want some styrofoam, ask for some on freecycle.
#8 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fabric or yarn or old clothes or rags- anything soft that you no longer need and can shred without missing it. Or, if you have something the right size you can fill it without shredding, and have the option of reusing the "stuffing item" later if you find a better stuffing material. Personally, I'd use a bunch of outgrown baby undershirts, socks, etc.

Dont' take your neighbor's advice too personally. Just because she's AP and "as green as she's able to be right now" doesn't mean she thinks any less of you- probably it's just that she personally doesn't have the time or energy to fuss with projects the way you can, so she's never brainstormed possible solutions- and she shared what she'd personally do (replace the item.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma View Post
If you want some styrofoam, ask for some on freecycle.
Freecycle, what's that? Is it addicting?

Oh and I have kinda let it go with the neighbor, I'm just frustrated because I'm so isolated here besides her and she can flip on a burner just like that and go from sunny side up to flaming grease fire.
#10 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 05:34 PM

freecycle
#11 of 14 Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it out! DD's magnet board fits right up inside, and her alphabet magnets shift just right
#12 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Freecycle!!!!!!!! It can be addicting. I have to pay attention to reality when I'm reading the Freecycle forum.
#13 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

id use old shirts fabric scraps, tissue paper might work, maybe stuffing from a stuffed animal you dont want (oh how i hate those)
#14 of 14 Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 AM

old pillow stuffing. especially after they get washed a few times and are all lumpy (ugh, i canNOT stand a lumpy pillow). jut rip the seam and pull out the stuffing and put in in the tray. then you can use the cloth from the pillow for rags or something, too.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page