Glass jars in the freezer...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to freeze some breast milk; but I don't want to use those plastic bags that you can buy for this purpose. I have some small glass jars with metal lids; and I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it's safe to freeze glass with fluid in it...?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

Leave a good amount of head-space at the top of the jar to allow for the liquid to expand, and you should be fine

You can also freeze milk from several pumping sessions in the same container in layers, as long as the new milk is well cooled first. Just don't pump into a container that already contains frozen expressed milk, or add warm freshly-expressed milk into a container of frozen milk. You knew that, though, I'm sure (We sleep-deprived post-partum moms do odd things sometimes...)

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#3 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Yup, like the pp said, just leave a lot of room for expansion. I freeze sauces, jams, soups, etc, in jars with no problems.
#4 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdaffodils View Post
...leave a lot of room for expansion...
Define: "a lot"...(please)....? Are we talking like, 50% of the jar, or more like 25%...?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#5 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM

i have always done about 20-25%

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#6 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM

20-25% is probably a good guideline. :
#7 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

#8 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 AM

I haven't done this with breast milk, but I use mason jars to freeze liquids and in addition to plenty of headspace, I also make sure that the liquid is chilled before freezing and flip the interior lid (i.e., not the band), keeping the band loose, until the liquid is frozen to keep the lid from sealing. Once it's frozen, I invert the lid and tighten the band all the way. I mention this because even if you're not using mason jars, some jars get a little bit of a seal from even slight cooling of their substances and I think that's contributed to broken jars in my past.

P.S. You can also get very small mason jars that might be good for smaller amounts of milk.
#9 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 PM

I did this often and just because it worked out for thawing purposes, left about 50% empty. Never had a problem.
#10 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 PM

I use glass jars to freeze stuff all the time, I usually fill them up about 75% of the way. Little pesto jars are perfect for breast milk and baby food.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page