cloth bags that stand on their own? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im looking to get some cloth bags (cotton, hemp or nylon) that are similar in size to a brown paper bag and are able to stand up on their own (flat bottom). I know Wegman's sells some but wanted to see if there were any recommendations for good ones I can get online (at Reusablebags or elsewhere) or if anyone has an opinion on the Wegmans ones.

DH isn't really into cloth bags so I figure if I can make it as similar as using paper bags he may not complain as much lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM

If you have a Sears near you, the Land's End summer colored canvas bags are on clearance. I picked up a medium sized one for $10.49. That size is perfect for groceries, stands on it's one and heavy duty enough for a TON of canned goods.

let's see: http://tinyurl.com/5jg6cx

hopefully, I did that right
#3 of 15 Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 PM

If you have an albertsons near you, they have ones that are even the color of paper bags. They're bigger and hold a ton of stuff and have super long handles that you can wear over your shoulder when you're hauling stuff up the stairs. I : my Albertsons bags. But I have no idea what they are made out of. It might be some kind of nylon.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#4 of 15 Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Subbing to this.. I am also interested.. I am not near an Albertson's but I would have the additional requirement that I don't want my bags to have a specific store name printed on them. I shop at several different places and want to use the same bags over and over. My mom got hers at Fred Meyer, and they are flat bottom, and stand up on their own but they say Fred Meyer in big letters right on the side, so it seems weird to me to take them into say, Safeway or Natural Pantry or something.. I would love some that say like Save Polar Bears or something.. Feed a Teacher... Read a Book.. you know
#5 of 15 Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peypeymama View Post
If you have a Sears near you, the Land's End summer colored canvas bags are on clearance. I picked up a medium sized one for $10.49. That size is perfect for groceries, stands on it's one and heavy duty enough for a TON of canned goods.

let's see: http://tinyurl.com/5jg6cx

hopefully, I did that right
I like these, but their website says that even a small one is $15.50.. The Fred Meyer bags were on sale for $.99 each recently.. I know the quality is different, but that still seems like quite a big price difference.
#6 of 15 Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
Subbing to this.. I am also interested.. I am not near an Albertson's but I would have the additional requirement that I don't want my bags to have a specific store name printed on them. I shop at several different places and want to use the same bags over and over. My mom got hers at Fred Meyer, and they are flat bottom, and stand up on their own but they say Fred Meyer in big letters right on the side, so it seems weird to me to take them into say, Safeway or Natural Pantry or something.. I would love some that say like Save Polar Bears or something.. Feed a Teacher... Read a Book.. you know
What about sewing a piece of cool fabric on over the name of the store? Or a plain colored piece of fabric and then writing/drawing on it whatever you want?

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#7 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 AM

we use the kids and our backpacks when we walk to the store. you can fit a surprising amount of stuff into a back pack and the weight is evenly distributed if you are walking or biking. we fit $85 worth of food into 5 backpacks last time we went!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#8 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 PM

I have the wegmans ones and I love them and bring them everywhere. Once they are broken in, they dont stand up really well. Got like ten of em on sale about 6 months ago for .50 each. I think they are made from recycled soda bottles.
I take them into food lion, target, walmart, I dont care that they say wegmans on them, besides, our wegmans is a damn fine store. it's 20 minutes away so we dont go much.
the eyelets in them (for the bag stands i think) are too small for the posts at most places
I put them on the conveyor before my purchases and cashiers still try to ring me up for them

I even use them at the farmers mkt, auto parts store, hfs, mall, etc.

the toughest part is remembering to bring them into the store.

home depot also has some nice ones for 1.99 they are HUGE and are good for things like bread and light things. dont stand up on their own though, they clip onto the cart.
#9 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayherbs View Post
the toughest part is remembering to bring them into the store.
I know! I get into the store and then remember that I have forgotten my bags. I'm usually too lazy to go back to the car to get the bags.
#10 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 03:42 PM

ds now reminds me to bring the bags in.

if not I can always find plenty of ways to recycle those bags at home. we always need a few for walking the dog and the litterbox. and as little trashcan liners. I refuse to pay for those!

dh gets pissed now because there are rarely bags in the house now. he's had to use the outer bag from our bulk tp in the bathroom trashcan.
#11 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Yeah, we use our plastic bags for the little trash cans upstairs, too. I have found though, that some grocery stores give them out with little tiny holes in the bottom, which can stretch into bigger holes, and then what's the point of reusing them? So I am sure there are a lot I have taken home with the intent to use them, and just ended up trashing them.
#12 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 PM

I have these and love them. I have four of those for the big trips and four of these, that are the size of plastic bags, for little trips and to keep stashed in my purse/car/stroller.
#13 of 15 Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM

I've bought these made from Non-woven Polypropylene for friends, and they stand up on their own - they've got a seperate "liner" for the bottom to help them stand, in fact. they seem similar to the ones most of the grocery stores are selling, except the store bags I've loked at do not have the bottom "liner" part.

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#14 of 15 Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM

I use the ones I have with the plastic "bottom" that helps them stand up at wherever I'm shopping. They have the name of a store on them, but I've never heard a negative comment at other stores.
#15 of 15 Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmayherbs View Post
he's had to use the outer bag from our bulk tp in the bathroom trashcan.
Hey I do that. Those make excellent trashcan liners.

Also if you are walking to the store, I take a granny cart and line it with a cheap nylon laundry bag from Target or the drugstore and put everything in like that.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page