cloth produce bags and added weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking into some cloth produce bags and I like the idea of them (even though I can often find good reuse for the plastic ones but still...). One concern I have is the extra weight it will add to the produce when they're weighed. I think taking it out and putting it back in might take too much time and the cashiers might not understand or get frustrated/annoyed by the request. As it is I'm the weird one that brings reusable bags for the rest of my groceries.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFR View Post
I was looking into some cloth produce bags and I like the idea of them (even though I can often find good reuse for the plastic ones but still...). One concern I have is the extra weight it will add to the produce when they're weighed. I think taking it out and putting it back in might take too much time and the cashiers might not understand or get frustrated/annoyed by the request. As it is I'm the weird one that brings reusable bags for the rest of my groceries.

Any suggestions?
have the cashier weigh (get the tare) of one of the cloth bags empty: they can set the scale to zero at that weight (so the bag effectively weighs nothing when you put produce in it and weigh it).

When I was a cashier, we could do this for when people brought their own bags. This was 15 years ago though, but I assume one still can...

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM

the only things I ever put into bags are lettuces - all other fruit/veggies is left loose in the grocery cart. I think it's utterly ridiculous to get a plastic bag for 3 oranges. OMG, are they going to TOUCH something?

so, to sort of answer your question, the items that need weighing are not in bags!

I do have to say that I love those green plastic bags - they really do work extremely well. I need to go buy more - I don't know where all of ours have disappeared to. We used to take them to the grocery store to put the lettuces in, so we never even used their plastic bags.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#4 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
have the cashier weigh (get the tare) of one of the cloth bags empty: they can set the scale to zero at that weight (so the bag effectively weighs nothing when you put produce in it and weigh it).

When I was a cashier, we could do this for when people brought their own bags. This was 15 years ago though, but I assume one still can...
I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure if the scales can do that or if they'll know how or want to bother doing it, KWIM? Since you've been on the cashiers' side, any advice on getting it to happen?
#5 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
the only things I ever put into bags are lettuces - all other fruit/veggies is left loose in the grocery cart. I think it's utterly ridiculous to get a plastic bag for 3 oranges. OMG, are they going to TOUCH something?

so, to sort of answer your question, the items that need weighing are not in bags!

I do have to say that I love those green plastic bags - they really do work extremely well. I need to go buy more - I don't know where all of ours have disappeared to. We used to take them to the grocery store to put the lettuces in, so we never even used their plastic bags.

--janis
We buy some things in lots of quantities (we buy a few pounds worth of apples a week, etc...) so we really do need bags for weighed items. Checkout would be a bigger mess if I had to sort 10 peaches, 10 nectarines and 30 apples (or whatever quantity).
#6 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I do appreciate all responses and welcome more. It's such a small step but reduces so much waste.
#7 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 PM

I use them. . . I've never weighed them. I have no idea how much weight they add, but I think it's not much, so I've never bothered to have them weight it beforehand. Sorry I'm not more help.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#8 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraFR View Post
I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure if the scales can do that or if they'll know how or want to bother doing it, KWIM? Since you've been on the cashiers' side, any advice on getting it to happen?
The last year I was there they upgraded the cash register system. It actually just required a few key strokes: there were set buttons for tare 1 (plastic bag) tare 2 (paper bag) tare 3 (cloth bag).

Like I said, this was 15 (well, actually 12 I think but still long ago ) so I would think they could do this now. I know they have buttons on the self check outs in our grocery store to zero the scale at the weight of your own grocery bags. I would just maybe ask customer service; and if it isn't part of cashier training, maybe you could suggest to add it in seeing as though more and more people are trying to save money and go green by having their own bags.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#9 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

when I worked the deli section of the grocery store, when we weighed out items in the platic containers it was a simple process, you put the empty container on the scale, pushed a button or two, the scale would go back to zero then you would put the potato salad or whatever in the container, put the whole thing bac on the scale, punch in a product number and the machine would spit out a bar coded price label.... it was simple.

now that was deli, not the cash registers... but they should be able to do this also...

something I have thought about and bothers me are the "zippered" grape and cherry bags, the ones with the big solid plastic part that zips it close, everytime I buy a bag with one of those huge parts I think... I could of gotten 1 more cherry at the added cost of something that is just going to be tossed...

If the store can't or won't figure out a way to zero their scales back for the weight of your bag, remember that the more pieces of fruit you are buying each time the less the weight of the bag will cost ...
5 apples (3 lbs) plus 1 bag (.025 oz)
25 apples (15 lb) plus 1 bag (.025 oz)

(I should make some cloth bags for produce... weight or not... thanks for the motavational boost by starting this thread!)
#10 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

Hm, I usually just fill up one bag with my produce, and then separate at checkout, and pack back into the bag. I just make sure my squishables are on top - peaches, tomatoes, etc. It obviously doesn't work for things like cherries, but I can't see bringing home a dozen plastic bags for my weekly veggies and fruits
#11 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

My grocery store always subtracts without my asking. Have you tried weighing in cloth there yet?
#12 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i use mesh delicate laundry bags with a zipper. they are so light i dont see them adding really any weight this is why i chose them.
#13 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Does your grocery have hand scanners?

We pick up a scanning wand at the beginning of the trip and just scan the groceries as they go into the cart. For produce we just stack on a scale, select the type on the screen, and it prints a barcode for your selection and weight, then I put the produce in a bag afterwards.

I'd take a look around and see if your store has the option. People are always shocked when they see me shopping so they must not realize that the option is available.

Mom to Kira March 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page