2 questions for you sage folk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 areas in which I can green myself- microwave covers and trash can bags.

I usually use plastic bags from the supermarket to line my trash cans. I know this is bad, but it is frugal. I want to do better. What do you use?

What is a green and frugal covering for microwaving? I have been using parchment paper or wax paper. I used to use paper towels and that is just about all I use them for.

Some insight would be loved... Thanks!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#2 of 9 Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogafeet View Post

What is a green and frugal covering for microwaving? I have been using parchment paper or wax paper. I used to use paper towels and that is just about all I use them for.
As for this one - I'm trying to get away from microwaving for health reasons (you can see other threads on this), but dh likes to reheat his leftovers a lot. We use a larger plate or bowl upsidedown over the container usually.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#3 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabutterfly View Post
As for this one - I'm trying to get away from microwaving for health reasons (you can see other threads on this), but dh likes to reheat his leftovers a lot. We use a larger plate or bowl upsidedown over the container usually.
: and I've been wondering about the small trash can issue, too. I do the same thing for our bathroom trash.
#4 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 AM

i don't cover when i microwave unless its something that tends to splatter, even then sometimes i just wipe out the mess instread of covering
#5 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 AM

our small trash cans we don't put in a liner when they need dumped we just take them outside and dump in the large can then bring them back inside and rinse them with a lil BS/ACV.

For the microwave when we do use it which is rare we just use another plate or wipe out the microwave after we use it..
#6 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Often, I do not use anything to cover the plate when I am reheating in the oven. I just clean up afterwards. Typically speaking, if it is something that is going to splatter, it is easily warmed up on the stove.
#7 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A dishtowel over the plate in the microwave works.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 AM

I rarely use the microwave. I prefer the taste of food cooked and even reheated on the stove or toaster oven/oven. There are a few times I do use the microwave, though, and I don't cover the food. Like someone else said above, things that splatter generally do well on the stove.

I clean out the microwave with vinegar/water (50/50 in a spray bottle with a rag) once a month and wash the rotating glass plate in the dishwasher at the same time. On the rare occasion something does make a mess, then I use a rag with the vinegar water or soapy water (if it is already available) to clean it out.

Plastic trash bags alternatives haven't come up for us yet. We reuse the grocery sacks (paper or plastic) several times because I feel washing the cans out is just as bad environmentally in our drought conditions. We use cloth bags mostly (even for non-grocery stores), but still end up with enough plastic/paper to handle our trash load. We only empty them once a month or less and they are not overflowing. We use the kitchen trash for icky trash and we use a repurposed box for recyclables. We change the bag only when necessary. Otherwise, we simply dump all the stuff into one bag or box (from something else already going out) or take it directly out. DD (age 7) handles all the small trashcans in our house under our supervision. She can take some things out to the dumpster herself (bags or boxes smaller than her), but she cannot handle emptying a can with a bag inside due to her height and dexterity. She can empty the recycling box while retaining the box simply because the outside bin is shorter than she is and she (we) stand there and sort the paper-type items from the glass/can/plastic type items with the box on the ground. I may eventually buy a two-bin system for inside the house to presort, but the repurposed box serves its purpose nicely without spending extra money OR adding more permanent stuff to our home. It also forces us to take it out frequently.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#9 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabutterfly View Post
We use a larger plate or bowl upsidedown over the container usually.
That's how we do it too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page