Reducing Packaging!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really trying to focus more on this aspect of green living right now. I thought we could all share ways in which we eliminate the amount of packaging that we consume and then throw out or recycle.
Here are some of the things I am doing now
* Avoiding individually wrapped items like milk/juice boxes or cheese sticks (I just started making my own string cheese
* Buying larger quantities of items I know I will use lots of
* Buying from the bulk section when possible and reusing my bags or containers for it
* cloth bags
* avoiding boxed prepackaged foods (for health reasons too!)

Things I'm adding
*bringing a travel mug with me when I buy coffee or tea while out, or making a cup of coffee to take with me instead of stopping for one!
* Doing more freezing, canning, dehydrating and then storing it in reusable containers. (Plus then I also know the fruits and veggies we are eating in January are local)

So what are your tips for reducing packaging?

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM

I make (and sell) reusable sandwich bags, sandwich wrappers, snack bags, and bowl caps. This way I am not using and throwing away all those zip lock bags, plastic wrap, and aluminum foil. I also try to remember to take my own bags to the grocery store.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#3 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
I'm really trying to focus more on this aspect of green living right now. I thought we could all share ways in which we eliminate the amount of packaging that we consume and then throw out or recycle.
Here are some of the things I am doing now
* Avoiding individually wrapped items like milk/juice boxes or cheese sticks (I just started making my own string cheese
* Buying larger quantities of items I know I will use lots of
* Buying from the bulk section when possible and reusing my bags or containers for it
* cloth bags
* avoiding boxed prepackaged foods (for health reasons too!)

Things I'm adding
*bringing a travel mug with me when I buy coffee or tea while out, or making a cup of coffee to take with me instead of stopping for one!
* Doing more freezing, canning, dehydrating and then storing it in reusable containers. (Plus then I also know the fruits and veggies we are eating in January are local)

So what are your tips for reducing packaging?
Pretty much everthing you wrote! If something has excess packaging I don't buy it. If I really need said item I will get a store manager and explain that I can't buy the product because of excess packaging and is there anything available with less packaging. They of course think I am crazy. But it gets the point accross.

My health food store has told me if I drop off my empty glass jars with a note of what I want them to put inside they will fill them up and I can pick them up the next day. Yea, : no packaging!
#4 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 PM

I reuse plastic bags (the plastic bags bread comes in; ziploc bags; shopping bags).

I sometimes keep certain pieces of paperboard for drawing paper for Sidney.

I keep one milk carton out for reconstituting dry milk, which I use for cooking.

I try to remember to take my own canvas bag into the grocery store.
#5 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM

I just realized today that instead of tea bags, I should use loose tea.
#6 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Mom View Post
I make (and sell) reusable sandwich bags, sandwich wrappers, snack bags, and bowl caps.

Kathi
Tell me more, please

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM

I use canvas/reusable bags for almost everything (even new clothing, etc).

DD takes reusable containers to school for lunch and snack.

When there are choices in products that are comparable, I choose the least packaged item.

We buy in bulk when feasible and efficient. (We are a family of 3. Bulk can equal more waste for many items.)

There's probably more, too, but this is what comes to mind right now.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#8 of 8 Old 09-03-2008, 11:40 AM

I am making a serious effort when it comes to school snacks, etc. We're using happy-sacks instead of plastic bags. I have always used small glass canning jars in the lunch bags and this works great for us. Siggs and KK's for water (I know there are issues w/Siggs so we're tending a bit more to the KK's). Ds is using a laptop lunch which cuts down on packaging a lot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page