What to bring to buy things in bulk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am going to make the switch to biodegradable poop bags, which btw DH thinks is crazy. He does not understand why I would pay for bags when the grocery store includes them in the price of oatmeal and veggies. But, if I stop bringing home bags from the store, obviously we'll have to do something, since we live in a condo and you have to pickup after your dog. Anyway, what do you use for your bulk items like rice or granola that normally you would scoop into the plastic bag? I was thinking about getting some muslin from the fabric store and making a few produce/bulk item bags, but I'm not sure about the weights and how that affects the pricing.
#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How about getting the thin "bulk food bags" from the store, transfering the items to sturdier containers at home, then re-using those bags for dog poop cleanup?

Though I suppose you COULD use some kind of reusable pooper-scooper without bags, bring the scooper home filled with poop after each walk, empty it into the toilet and wash it out each day. I think that would be preferable to a washable poop bag- maybe that just seems worse to me than "dirty diapers" because I've never had a dog and I find dog poop more unpleasant than baby poop?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 AM

I take my jars to the bulk store with me, but at my bulk store we weigh the items before we get to the register. Most of the jars are all the same weight, so I just weigh one of them to know the tare weight. Then I fill them up, tare the scale and print the tags for them.

The first time I did it, I only took 1 size of jar, and left one empty. If your store weighs at the register, you can hand them the empty one and tell them to tare the scale against that before weighing.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you wanted something lighter than muslim you could try netting.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 8 Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM

I had an old sheer curtain that I sewed into drawstring bags for produce and bulk items. The fabric has a tight weave so everything but very fine powder stays inside. I get my flour in large bags, not from the bulk section so this doesn't matter to me. You can also see that's in the bag without opening it which the cashier likes.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#6 of 8 Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 PM

i used these for a long time, but have gotten out of the habit. they hardly weigh anything.

although the cashiers at the commissary thought i was kind of weird, and one lady got upset that she had to open them to see, but hey, one person in 3 years isnt bad, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#7 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't worry about the weight, just make sure that you know how much it weighs and write it on the bag as the "tare weight." Every place that I know where they sell bulk items enter a tare weight for their own bags as well.
I asked one days because I was buying 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and the bag and twist tie weighed more than the cinnamon. The checker said, "oh, don't worry, we have tares for all our bags and ties." I was glad to know

Just take the bag or jar or whatever to the check stand before you fill it and they will tell you how much is weighs. My containers now have it written on them permanently.
#8 of 8 Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM

I use these bags which are super light and nice colors. They're handmade (and I'm sure you could make them yourself too) www.kootsac.etsy.com

mama kidlet 1.11.06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page