Need Help With Homemade Wrapping Paper - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Years ago, I owned a book--I think it was simply called "Crafts for Kids" and put out by Sunset Magazine--that showed how to make homemade reusable wrapping paper using aluminum foil and scraps of tissue paper. You simply mixed together a paste and used a paintbrush to plaster the colored tissue scraps randomly all over the foil. The result was shiny and colorful gift paper!

I'm not too crafty, so I'm wondering what to use as the paste. Mod podge, maybe? Starch? I remember that it called for a mixture, but I don't know what!

I'd love to be able to do this for Christmas gifts! TIA!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what glue would be best but that sounds like a fun project. Try a few samples and see what works best.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I make homemade wrapping paper from magazine & catalog photography. I get old issues of magazines printed on good paper like Martha Stewart & Real Simple, and catalogs like Bergdorf Goodman, Pottery Barn, and Anthropologie from coworkers/the recycle bin at work, or by requesting them on Freecycle & Craigslist.

I tear out full-page photos of fashion/nature/home/food photography (nothing with words or advertising) and group them either by color or by item--mainly green-hued pages together, or all food pics together, etc--then use rubber cement to paste the pages together.

Sometimes I make a bunch of wrapping paper in advance and keep it secured around an old wrapping paper tube with a hair elastic; sometimes I make it on an as-needed basis from stacks of pages that I have torn out and put into folders based on color or object.

Other bonus: as I'm going through tearing up the magazines, I also pull out recipes or other ideas to try and stash them in binders for recipe ideas and projects around the house.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Nice! Great ideas! I could raid the magazine bin at my recycling center!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Growing up, in my family we would sometimes use the Sunday comics (color) for wrapping paper. I suppose one could save them all year and have a decent assortment.

User Tag List