What do you want to eat after giving birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just talking with DP about this yesterday. I don't remember what I was making, but it was really making me want a bloody mary ! So I decided that that was what I wanted the morning after. Of course it would have very little alcohol in it, I really only want it for the pickled asparagus! This would be in addition to the eggs benedict I would want to have for breakfast (that's what my sister brought me after I had DS). Mmmm...

So what would be your ideal after birth food? Or breakfast the next morning?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM

A margarita.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM

anything that I DIDN'T throwup while in labor :-)
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM

It doesn't really matter... as long as I can eat ALOT and not have heartburn. But Papa Murphey's has this great chicken/garlic pizza... that might be nice. :-)

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 PM

I don't know what I'm going to want either, but DH will be going to the store (or restaurant) for whatever it is, no questions asked!

:
Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM

A cold turkey sandwich! I was so happy to have those after Lilly was born and I'm SO looking forward to them again!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM

A Turkey sandwich on white bread with just turkey, cheese, mayo, mustard, and pepper, and a side of french fries, and a HUGE glass of Orange Juice.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Beer.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 PM

I'm only going to count my homebirths since I really had little control over what I was fed in the hospital the first three times.

I'm never interested in food while in labor or just after giving birth ... with my first homebirth, DH went and got Taco Bell and I wasn't really interested (which I usually LOVE) ... so he cut up a watermelon and brought it in to me in a huge stainless steel bowl. Mmmm... After my second homebirth, my mother came over to help out and clean up, etc ... and she fixed me a whole grain bagel dripping with melted butter ... while I didn't want it and she had to talk me into eating something ... it was QUITE yummy.

This time I'm planning on having DH bake cinnamon rolls while I'm in labor ... I read that on another MDC thread somewhere early in my pregnancy and it's just sounded so perfect to smell those baking while I'm in labor ... and then have them to eat later, when I have an appetite again.

Usually I'm THIRSTY!!! I want ice cold drinks in labor and after.

ETA: After my 1st homebirth, that next morning ... Dh made the BEST breakfast for me in bed ... oh man, that was so good ... blueberry pancakes, cheese omelet, bacon, sausage, the works. It was amazing ... so I will probably stock the fridge with supplies so he can make breakfast again ... the first (homebirth) he made it the morning after and the following day and they were SO yummy. I put my 'order' in for breakfast the thing but baby was born on Sat. morning and it was too crazy for a few hours to even think of cooking ... and the next day he slept in and I was up early with the newborn so I fixed myself something. LOL! I think this time I'm going to STRESS the fact that I want breakfast in bed!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM

i will be in the hospital, but a hospital surrounded by some of the best restaruants in the world. hubby is standing by with treats (birth suites have kitchens) but he is prepared to run out or send out for hearts desire.....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM

I want my DH to make a big pan of chocolate brownies for me to eat after the baby is born. He may want to make another pan that can be shared with everyone else as well.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM

a huge subway sandwich

also, spaghetti, donuts, pumpkin pie, cake, cookies, candy, bagels, fresh bread, um can you tell I have GD? I will eat just about anything as long as it has lots of carbs and sugar..... pancakes, french fries, cereal and milk. second the brownies, cinnamon rolls, cake, whatever. it's not that i eat all these things that often. it's that i CANT EAT THEM AND ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM

Whatever I want....the nice thing is my hospital has "room service" and the food is actually really yummy! So I can order whatever it is I feel like after I give birth....but I could want anything from a salad to burger to french toast or whatever....who knows!!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanksgiving leftovers I hope! Come on pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes!:

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Last time I had fruit salad with cottage cheese, it was the only vegetarian dish the hospital had, HOWEVER, it REALLY hit the spot!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Well, right now I can say what I'm fantacizing about....a DELI sandwhich. Not having to worry about the listeria of course after birth . Oh, and maybe a guiness later on...at least a few sips!

But usually I don't want anything.

1st--Chick-fil-a soup and a strawberry yogurt
2nd--I had just had dinner and cake just a few hours before (mother's day) and after her wasn't hungry. I do think someone made some food for me several hours later and gave me some juice.
3rd--I didn't want it, but DH got pizza for everyone else and someone heated some up and gave it to me. I also had some cake with chocolate frosting (all from scratch) that we made earlier!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 AM

I was just thinking about homemade cinnamon rolls a few nights ago. Someone mentioned them here, I believe, a while back and it popped into my head that *I* should make them.

I may just do it. Maybe it will keep me busy and actually be as relaxing and wonderful as the original poster made it out to be.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I want caramel pecan cinnamon rolls.

Jakob 10/12/2005...He thinks he's
Mollie 12/8/2008....Pure sweetness
Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 AM

Mmmm...I like Mama Perk's breakfast! I want some big giant pancakes...blueberry sounds good! With some good maple syrup...we're in New England after all! And a veggie omelet and soy sausage and toast or biscuits w/ butter...and OJ! : Now I hope I give birth in the wee morning hours so I can down this at breakfast time!

We will also be having cake/cupcakes since we are celebrating the babe's birthday and the kids are going to decorate and make them. Yum!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 AM

I am going to splurge and buy a really nice expensive bottle of champagne. Other than that, I don't know. It would be fun to have a birthday cake for ds to partake in. I guess it will just depend on what time of day it is. With ds it was 8:30 in the morning and we ate powder sugar doughnut holes. Yum! I don't eat egg anymore, so doughnuts are out, but something along those lines would be nice...with my big glass of champagne...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 AM

I was going to answer this but I realized I have no recollection of what I ate after my son's birth at all, so I guess it isn't really a big deal to me even though with GD I've had a lot of restrictions.

Food of some kind I guess! I probably wouldn't say no to brownies.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSong View Post
I am going to splurge and buy a really nice expensive bottle of champagne. but something along those lines would be nice...with my big glass of champagne...
Strawberries? Ohhh dipped in chocolate? Or other fruits..a huge tray of fruits! Do you eat cheese? A huge tray of yummy fruits w/ cheese too! Perfect w/ champagne...like a nice fancy dinner party
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 AM

::
I am going to have a fruit smoothy immediately after birth w/ some placenta in it.
w/ ds1 we transported to the hosp. and I was absolutely starving by the time I had him. It was 5 am on memorial day and I have food allergies so I had to wait until my dad brought be some food. I don't remember what it was but tons of nuts and fruit and some chocolate.
W/ ds2 I had dinner in early labor so wasn't too hungry afterwards but my brother did go p-up some ben and jerrys mango sorbet for me and that was so yummy.
w/ds3 I had leftover spaghetti and it was really good. I was starved.

I can't imagine that I will be very picky though. I just want to eat and as long as I am not allergic to it I will eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSong View Post
I am going to splurge and buy a really nice expensive bottle of champagne. Other than that, I don't know. It would be fun to have a birthday cake for ds to partake in. I guess it will just depend on what time of day it is. With ds it was 8:30 in the morning and we ate powder sugar doughnut holes. Yum! I don't eat egg anymore, so doughnuts are out, but something along those lines would be nice...with my big glass of champagne...
Doughnut holes are not out but you do have to make them yourself.
VEGAN DOUGHNUT HOLES
2 C flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeng
1 "egg" (egg replacer)
3/4 c soy or rice milk
3 TBS oil
Sift dry ingredients together. QAdd wet to dry. Stir until smooth. Drop by teaspoons into heated oil (365 degrees) in a deep skillet or deep fryer. Turn to brown on 2nd side. Drain and coat w/ powdered sugar.

I usually end up adding a lot more rice milk to make it the right consistancy but they are so yummy. Last time we made them w/ whole wheat flour and they were fabulous.
(the egg replacer we use is in a box called Egg Replacer by Ener G www.ener-g.com

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 AM

DIET COKE!!!! And smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese!!

Why are so many of you not eating sandwiches?? You know that a few deil sandwiches aren't going to harm you or your baby right!?
( just like me.. I accidently had smoked salmon once and so far my baby is fine! )
Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 AM

Sushi and beer.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:58 AM

Mama song..aren't you in/near Seattle? You can get some Mighty O Donuts then! yum! vegan and organic..they have them at Pikes Place market too
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 AM

MMMM, sushi.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschifo View Post
I was just thinking about homemade cinnamon rolls a few nights ago. Someone mentioned them here, I believe, a while back and it popped into my head that *I* should make them.

I may just do it. Maybe it will keep me busy and actually be as relaxing and wonderful as the original poster made it out to be.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I want caramel pecan cinnamon rolls.
It may be me. I had a craving for them...had been craving cinnamon rolls for about two months or so. So, I caved and made them a couple of weeks ago. Then, made them again this past weekend. The second time I made them with pecans...MMMM.

However, I'm all done. I'm cinnamonrolled out!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
A Turkey sandwich on white bread with just turkey, cheese, mayo, mustard, and pepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaperk View Post
blueberry pancakes, cheese omelet, bacon, sausage, the works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
A huge tray of yummy fruits w/ cheese too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
ben and jerrys mango sorbet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
And smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese!!

Why are so many of you not eating sandwiches?? You know that a few deil sandwiches aren't going to harm you or your baby right!?
( just like me.. I accidently had smoked salmon once and so far my baby is fine! )

This is making me hungry!

I've been eating sandwiches this whole pregnancy. Usually just stuff I've made, I'm not going to eat one from some hokey gas station deli or anything.

Oh, I wanted to add that you can use ground flax seed and water for egg replacer. It's like 1T ground flax to 3T water, whisk and let sit for a few min. I have been making baked goods for my niece with this and it works beautifully!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Oh my gosh!! All this sounds so yummy!! I have a feeling I'll be craving some good Tex/Mex, unfortunately we're now in NY!! But my mom will be here after Christmas so I'm sure she'll make me some great mom food! Nothing like Southern Comfort foods!!
I think I'll want a big bowl of guacamole with chips and salsa but we'll see!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Hey thanks for the doughnut recipe! And for the reminder about the Mighty-O doughnuts. I think they sell them at PCC too. Maybe I will get a box before we leave - since I am going to have the baby at the Ocean, not here in town. Yum!!!

Oh, I forgot to add that I am also going to have a placenta smoothie too. So, a glass of champagne, a vegan doughnut, and a placenta smoothie. That's quite a mix!

User Tag List