WIDE awake - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been having REALLY bad Insomnia the past few days. WAY worse than I've had it this whole pg. Two nights ago I took a Benedryl and slept pretty good. Last night I didn't want to push the Bene thing again so I opted to not take it. I slept, but it was very broken..every hour on the hour I woke up. I fell asleep about 4am and woke at 7am to take Ash to school, then came back and tried to fall back asleep. I dozed in and out of sleep until I finally fell asleep around 10am and woke up about 1pm. SO I got about 6 hours total...which is HALF of what I get normally. So tonight(Monday night that is...), I am exhausted beyond belief bc I think my baby is trying to come out...I might be in slow motion labor...at least that's what it feels like. So I take another Bene, go lay down and my body relaxes completely. I dozed for about an hour, got up to pee, laid back down and then I was AWAKE. I decided to go play on the computer for awhile, get something to eat, and then tried to go lay down on the couch. Nope, not happening. I laid there for 30 minutes with my mind wondering about...can't stop it. Tried everything. And when I went pee this last time, My boob started leaking.

The pain I am having: I walked half a block to pick DD up from school bus, then walked back. Half way back I started getting this 'lightening', achey, sharp, take my breath away, can't stand up straight, SO MUCH FRIGGIN PREASURE DOWN THERE, pain. It goes from the bottom of my bump all the way back to my tailbone, and everything in between. When I lay down, it doesn't hurt *near* as bad...but still hurts. When I get up....Oh dear Lord...the pain. I can barely walk 5 steps w/out almost being in tears. What is this??????? Oh yeah, I'm also still having ctx as well.

So what is this? What am I doing????
#2 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM

I totally feel you on the insomnia... no idea what the pain might be though. Take it easy and relax as much as you can. It might be a sign of impending labor, who knows!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

My BFF said that she had the lightening feeling that I'm talking about for a couple of weeks before she had her son. That's what got me thinking that it might be an impending labor. Then I read in my Bradley book that lightening thing happens anywhere from 2-4 weeks before you deliver. I didn't go into labor with my first, I was induced, so this whole going-into-labor-yourself thing is tricky and confusing. I hate it! LOL My DH is about to get up in an hour and I'm up...I'm never up when he gets up for work.

Have any of ya'll been UP AWAKE before you go into labor? Maybe a un conscience sign of labor??? I think I'm trying to not have a panic attack too. I used to get these bad when not pg. This restless thing is driving me nutso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#4 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM

I hear ya on both counts!!!!It's 3:45 here,AM!!!! and I just finnished a HUGE bowl of cereal with banan's in it.(the small size mixing bowl... and 2 banana's.)I woke to pee a second time at 3 and that was it!I was hoping food would help me sleep.Nope.I DID sleep solid from 11 pm to 3 am which is great compared to lately.
I'm also having EXACTLY the pains you are!Awful!!!!They're almost like a charly horse running a track!YEEEEOWCH!I just freeze AND try to relax whenever they hit-yeah right...They must be the baby's head hitting something, right?I wouldn't mind them so bad if it seemed like they were at all productive.
Good luck to us!

:::
#5 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
My BFF said that she had the lightening feeling that I'm talking about for a couple of weeks before she had her son. That's what got me thinking that it might be an impending labor. Then I read in my Bradley book that lightening thing happens anywhere from 2-4 weeks before you deliver. I didn't go into labor with my first, I was induced, so this whole going-into-labor-yourself thing is tricky and confusing. I hate it! LOL My DH is about to get up in an hour and I'm up...I'm never up when he gets up for work.

Have any of ya'll been UP AWAKE before you go into labor? Maybe a un conscience sign of labor??? I think I'm trying to not have a panic attack too. I used to get these bad when not pg. This restless thing is driving me nutso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I was up all night with my first, before contractions even started. No other signs and no weird pains though. I just felt the need to iron and generally spring clean the house. I think that made me more tired than the actual labor, which started in the late morning (11 am).

Please don't panic! Really, try to relax! Have a nice bath if that helps the pain, perhaps with some herbs, candles around etc. And of course, when you do go into labour you WILL know. How many weeks are you now?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#6 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM

I seem to be up every night from 2am-4:40 ish. every night!!! I just come to expect it. The only thing I have found that helps is to have the big "O". so....maybe DH can help you w/ that???
#7 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Man, I'm right there with you guys. I also wake up at 2 and can't go back to sleep for a couple of hours. I'm so tired all day as a result! And then I've also often gotten the cutting-me-in-half pressure down below on occasion, usually around the time when I'm having a bunch of contractions. I wish I knew that all of this crap was actually doing something.

On Friday I see the midwife (36 weeks), and apparently at that appointment they usually do a baseline cervical check. I've never dilated before going into labor before, so if I did actually have any measurable progress I'd be and :. Anything your cervix does before labor, assuming you don't read too much into it, is like icing on the cake. I'm not holding my breath for her to find any progress, though. If she did, it would be the first time ever for me.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and EDD 12/20/08
#8 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Yes, I was up all night with my first, before contractions even started. No other signs and no weird pains though. I just felt the need to iron and generally spring clean the house. I think that made me more tired than the actual labor, which started in the late morning (11 am).

Please don't panic! Really, try to relax! Have a nice bath if that helps the pain, perhaps with some herbs, candles around etc. And of course, when you do go into labour you WILL know. How many weeks are you now?
I'm the same as Swandira...36 on Fri. I'm not in a panic, I'm just wondering what the hell is going on. I was induced with my first and everything is new from here on out this time. These pains are killing me...well they were last night. I went to bed when DH left for work. I woke up EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR until 2 this afternoon. So I got 7.5 hours sleep. Well...broken sleep. I've never woken up and not been to go back to sleep that late before. I guess it's just my body saying that a baby is on his way.

DH looked at my nether region and said that it looked very weird...like it's not supposed to look like that. Seriously...it looks like my insides are being pushed out... I woke up and there is a dried 'wet' stain where my boob was sitting lol. My nips hurt like nobody's business too.

Is there a way that a womans body can react to her husbands body, labor wise...??? What I mean is, I can go pretty much all day and either only have a few ctx's or none and then when DH gets home, I have them like crazy. What is that? Is that possible? And a lot of the time, he can just touch me and I get a ctx. Is that weird? Or am I just REALLY into my hubby??? lol

AML>>>I've tried the big "O"...it hasn't worked for me.
#9 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm the same as Swandira...36 on Fri. I'm not in a panic, I'm just wondering what the hell is going on. I was induced with my first and everything is new from here on out this time. These pains are killing me...well they were last night. I went to bed when DH left for work. I woke up EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR until 2 this afternoon. So I got 7.5 hours sleep. Well...broken sleep. I've never woken up and not been to go back to sleep that late before. I guess it's just my body saying that a baby is on his way.

DH looked at my nether region and said that it looked very weird...like it's not supposed to look like that. Seriously...it looks like my insides are being pushed out... I woke up and there is a dried 'wet' stain where my boob was sitting lol. My nips hurt like nobody's business too.

Is there a way that a womans body can react to her husbands body, labor wise...??? What I mean is, I can go pretty much all day and either only have a few ctx's or none and then when DH gets home, I have them like crazy. What is that? Is that possible? And a lot of the time, he can just touch me and I get a ctx. Is that weird? Or am I just REALLY into my hubby??? lol

AML>>>I've tried the big "O"...it hasn't worked for me.
I hope the LO can stay put for a little bit longer then

I don't know what prenatal care you are getting, but if you feel so horrible and DH says your insides look like they are being pushed out then perhaps you could get it checked out if you think it will help any. I am sure everything will be fine though! Did you get any sleep lately ? I am starting to think I will go into labor any minute too now but I am only 35 weeks so I hope it won't happen yet...

#10 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I hope the LO can stay put for a little bit longer then

I don't know what prenatal care you are getting, but if you feel so horrible and DH says your insides look like they are being pushed out then perhaps you could get it checked out if you think it will help any. I am sure everything will be fine though! Did you get any sleep lately ? I am starting to think I will go into labor any minute too now but I am only 35 weeks so I hope it won't happen yet...
Oh no...LO can come out! I'm ready, as I'm sure he is too. I'm going fri for my regular appt, so I will have her look then.

I'm not getting any sleep at night. I did fall asleep from 9pm-11pm, then was up until 8 this morning. I think that's when I crashed out after taking DD to school bus. I woke up at 2:30 this afternoon. I'm going to go get some Unisom...I can't do this awake thing anymore. By the time Evan gets here I'll be SO drained. I'm 36w fri...I'm ready if he is. I'm getting to the point of having another meltdown...
#11 of 16 Old 11-19-2008, 07:41 PM

1) Chiropractor for the pain. It sounds like a misaligned pelvis, and seeing a chiro will not only help the pain, but encourage your baby to be optimally positioned too!

2) Sleepy Nights for Pregnancy by Wishgarden tincture. That stuff is awesome. Also chamomile tea.

Try to hang in there. 36 weeks isn't even quite term, and if you're truly exhausted, that could make for one heck of a labor. I would take the benadryl if you absolutely have to because you and your baby need the rest right now.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#12 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Okay, what is up with all pregnant women being up, WIDE AWAKE, between the hours of 2-4 am? Its just plain SILLY! LOL!!!! I can't wait till the baby comes so I can actually get some sleep. Night nursing sounds so pleasant compared to this.

I actually slept a bunch before I went into labor the first time. Like weirdly slept, because I don't normally nap during the day and I took like a 4 hour nap in the afternoon and finally forced myself to get out of bed and then my water broke like an hour later.

Please, please, please, all I want is like 6 hours of undisturbed sleep. Last night I was up 5x to pee and just awake for my normal 2 hours. Oy.
#13 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM

Count me in! In fact, last night I actually GOT up and got online, which I NEVER do. I usually just try to lay there and make myself go back to sleep. But I was having all kinds of anxiety about birth (see the homebirth thread!) and I just could not. So I came here looking for some reassurance. Not to mention the AWFUL windstorm that was going on outside. I could hear garbage cans blowing down the street and the neighbors wind chimes were going crazy!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#14 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Oh no...LO can come out! I'm ready, as I'm sure he is too. I'm going fri for my regular appt, so I will have her look then.
I am sure he will come out just when he's ready!

Anyone getting those weird pregnancy dreams too? Last night, I dreamt that my breasts had leaked lots and lots of milk, and I was bathing in it (not something I'm unfamiliar with , but only after the baby is born!). I then got up to "get changed" and woke up. No milk in sight, obviously . But after, I couldn't get back to sleep...

#15 of 16 Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 PM

My dreams are getting a little weird again. I've had two now where I see the outline of the baby through my belly - like he is pressing through my skin. Its very weird.

I think I shoudl just get up and get out of bed when I can't sleep. I always say I am going to but then just feel blah and just lay there the whole time.

What does everybody else do - stay in bed or get up?
#16 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM

I usually feel like if I get up and do something, it will make me more awake. So I try to just lay there. But sometimes, like the other night, something was weighing on my mind so heavily that I felt if I got up and maybe tried to ease my fears a bit, it would help me get back to sleep. Last night I slept beautifully!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page