What is your baby going to wear.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
either home from the hospital or birth center or right after birth if you're at home?
My girls all come home in the dress I wore home from the hospital. When I was born, my dad went to the hospital gift shop and bought this little dress for me to wear home. My aunt crocheted me a sweater and hat to wear with it. And I had a little pair of booties, which I lost as a kid. It was too warm for either of the girls to wear the sweater, but this baby will definitely wear it. Because we have all girls and they all wear the same thing home, I have bought them each a special gown to wear at the hospital. I wanted my first to have something of her own from home to wear. When I had my second, I got her a gown of her own and put the gown Emma wore in her keepsake box. It's the only thing that they were each the only one to wear. So let me hear what you guys all plan to do....

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#2 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm a homebirth. I bought a ton of long sleeve snap front diaper shirts and socks. I don't want anything that requires snapping the crotch this time around (diaper changes are sooooo much easier without them!) or pulling it over their head. We swaddled dd so much that we never saw what she was wearing anyway.

We don't know if we're having a boy or girl so s/he will wear this until we buy the poor child a wardrobe.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 PM

I have 3 outfits to pick from
1 little girl pink polka dots and strawberries zip up one peice outfit
little boys Mickey mouse snap up one peice outfit
red babies first Christmas outfit
#4 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM

a NB OV cloth diaper oh, and a hat

And then, after many hours of nakiness (except the diaper) having skin-to-skin nursing contact with mama while wrapped in mama-made flannel blankies, I'll probably put this babe in a kimono snap tee and mama knit sleep sack made of squishy Mosaic Moon yarn:

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM

both my girls wore a towel for awhile then just a diaper and I think somewhere around a couple days they graduated to clothes, plus it was major summertime. We pretty much just stayed in bed and nursed and got rid of the tarry meconium before we graduated to real clothes and I was too exhausted to root around for something cute if I remember correctly! This is a winter baby though so I should probably find a baby sac or sleeper for her to put on huh?
#6 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 05:53 PM

We got a nice warm, snuggly fleece body suit thing..although I'm not sure it's going to be cold enough for him to wear if we have him before Christmas. There is another outfit that his daddy got him that is white with tiny little soft blue polka dots all over it...it's thin enough to wear during the day. I guess we'll take a few options and see what the weather's like...this is TX after all! LMBO!
#7 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Another homebirther here...

My MIL bought us a cute duckie outfit with a bib, hat, sleeper, socks, and sleep sack with really cute duckies all over it. We'll also have the baby in a fitted cloth diaper from Happy Heiny's and a thirsties cover. I think it will be a really cute outfit. I'm hoping to get to the photo studio soon after the birth to get newborn pics in another very cute outfit that my MIL bought for us. Or we'll just use something gender specific (we don't know the sex yet).

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#8 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM

I just finished packing up my HB supplies basket, and I put three different baby sleepers in it because they are such different shapes. One if he's long & skinny (as expected) one for if he's more on the short & round side, and one without feet in case he's even longer than I expect. They all snap all the way up the front & down the legs, I don't want to have to put anything over his head right away. I also included a pair of socks, several cloth diapers and a couple of cotton hats.

Kinda silly I guess that I put that much though into choosing these considering all the baby clothes we have will just be in the dresser upstairs, but I can just imagine sending DH up to find something after the birth and it being WAY too overwhelming for him to find the right kind of thing.
#9 of 22 Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 PM

I have two cute very small newborn outfits to wear if he's under 9 pounds that my mom bought for me. My son came home from the hospital in a 0-3 sleeper but he was 8.5 pounds and swimming in it in all the pix, so I wanted something to fit. If he's big we'll bring along a favorite sleeper from my first son...I just want something that looks cute in pictures I don't have a lot of sentiment about it being his "home from the hospital" outfit.

We have a carseat cover that should keep him toasty outside, but maybe I should dig up a blanket or two as well in case its really really cold.
#10 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 AM

The very first thing I will put on is a diaper (teal frogs, each baby has gotten their own first diaper) a wool cover and then will swaddle them. If they aren't really liking being swaddled then baby legs and a nightgown. I have tons of gender neutral ones. The first photo outfit will be a born at home onesy (I got a blue adn a pink one bcs they were out of white).

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#11 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 AM

I got and adorable outfit (blue) that is fleece. It has little ears on the hood, and footsies look like paws so it makes him look like a puppy (sort of its really cute, can't wait to see him in it ( but not before 37 weeks please!)

Wife to my great hubby 4/6/08, WOHM to Alex 1/10/09, my 2 gorgeous newfoundlands, and the cutest pug in the world! Expecting DS2 at the end of March, hoping for HBAC!

#12 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 01:41 AM

I got a little newborn-sized Winnie the Pooh outfit from Target for $15 or something. I figure it will look fine for the hospital pictures. I figure if he's 10 pounds or under, newborn-size is the way to go. Everyone made a big deal of how huge my firstborn was (9 pounds 2 ounces, 21 inches), but he was swimming in the 0-3 month outfit I brought for his hospital pics. His size was mostly head. That's just how I grow 'em. I'll just strap him into his carseat inside the hospital and carry him outside with a blanket tucked over him rather than try to take him out of the bunting and get him rained on while we're strapping him in outside.
#13 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 03:58 AM

It never occurred to me to get something special for him to go home in until my cousin started gushing about how hard it was to find that special outfit for her son. So now I feel like I should get something special, even though we live less than 10 minutes away.
#14 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
I'll probably put this babe in a kimono snap tee and mama knit sleep sack made of squishy Mosaic Moon yarn:
Oh, I'm so jealous! I love Morwenna's yarn!!!!
#15 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM

I think I'll have two outfits in her bag. A Christmas one and a non-festive one. I would love a beautiful gown or something but I just haven't come across anything. And plus its freezing cold here so she'll be pretty bundled. I do have some adorable outfits though thanks to my sweet family!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#16 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm not sure yet...will get a coulpe of outfits ready once DH gets the baby stuff out of the attic!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#17 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 PM

I've got a lovely warm fleecy outfit that has got cute stripes in different shades of blue, and and brown one... depending on the size of the baby . That's for a homebirth BTW. With my first, I had totally forgotten to get together a cute outfit and she ended up wearing what the midwife picked, and it wasn't so great

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#18 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Shelby,

The reason you want to have a little outfit for a hospital birth is that hospitals generally have a photo service whereby they'll take photos of your baby on his/her last day at the hospital. It's cute to dress them up a bit for their first portrait.
#19 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
Shelby,

The reason you want to have a little outfit for a hospital birth is that hospitals generally have a photo service whereby they'll take photos of your baby on his/her last day at the hospital. It's cute to dress them up a bit for their first portrait.
Our hospital didn't offer that. I felt kind of cheated, because we don't really have *any* pictures of DD right after she was born. Not until she was about a week old. While we were in the hospital, DH was so worried about me (after the general anesthesia) to take any, and then he had to do so much after we got home that taking pictures was the last thing on his mind (I was still pretty out of it for a few weeks after DD was born, DH was feeding/changing/caring for her/cleaning/taking care of me/etc.)

Anyway, we had bought a nice warm fleecy purple shirt/pants set for her, in 3-6 months because everyone said we didn't want to buy any smaller than that, as 3-6 is even too small for a lot of newborns. (Needless to say, we could hardly see her in it, she was a preemie, she weighed 5 lbs 12 oz, and after we got home and DH bought some preemie clothes, she was still swimming in *those*.)

With this LO, we bought a little gift-set type thing with puppies on it. It's 0-3 months, so I'm wanting to pick out a newborn/preemie outfit just in case. Probably a fleecy sleep and play with puppies on it. (We have a lot of puppy stuff, DH *loves* canines.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#20 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Oh that makes sense about the pictures! I'll check and see if my hospital does that.

We have lots of puppy-themed outfits too, but we're total dog lovers here. Dh also loves trains, and my MIL found an outfit with a train with a doggie engineer--he almost died of happiness .
#21 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMelody View Post
Oh, I'm so jealous! I love Morwenna's yarn!!!!
So do I. Not to hijack the thread, but I have a pair of longies and a sleep sack knitted in her Chai Latter colorway on Montana Targhee and it's soooo squishy and warm I also have a pair of longies knit up in her Chocolate Sky colorway on the 3-ply Uruguay that's so soft and squishy too. I still have 2 skeins of Targhee in 2 different colorways from her waiting to be knit that I'm not sure what I want to do with yet. But me loves to go and pet and squish on them

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#22 of 22 Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I would totally love a tiny pair of newborn longies for my newbie. And that sleep sack sounds so sweet and cozy. You guys are so lucky and MUST post pics of your LO in these yummy things for the rest of us.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page