Lucien's birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you all know I had a difficult pregnancy so we were scheduled for a section at 37 weeks.

My son was born at 8:20 am on Thursday, November 13. The section was ok, my OB was rude to me, all he said to me was "hello". The rest of the staff in the room was really nice. My husband held my hand beside me and talked to me to distract from the feelings of a section.
I had a TON of amniotic fluid. They pulled Lucien from me and my hubby said to me, "Oh, he's little!" I said, "Little like Georgia?(she was 6 lbs 4 ozs)" and he said, "I think so"
At the scales our ped. eyed him up at about 6 and a half lbs. Everyone was suprised when the scale said 7 lbs 4 oz. His vitals were great but he was taken to the NICU because of my diabetes.
His blood sugars were too low (1.9 when they should have been above 2.6) so they gave him a bottle of formula.
I was in recovery for two hours waiting to be able to lift my leg. As feeling came back I began to feel pain on the left side of my incision area. By the time they wheeled me back to me room I was screaming in pain. By the time they got some pain meds into me I was nearly vomiting with pain. It was worse than the pancreatitis I experienced a couple of years ago. They pushed 3 bags of demerol through before I felt any relief. My husband and family demanded to know what was happening. It is not normal to come out of a section in that kind of pain. No one could explain it. I spent the next two and half days on pain killers, the minute they started to wear off the pain was right there, waiting.
My incision was good, no swelling, no redness. It was completely inexplicable.
It was completely awful.

The NICU gave my son FIVE bottles of formula before even asking me if I wanted to breastfeed. : I was really, really angry about that. On the second day he was out of the NICU and in the room with us. By day 3 he was a breastfeeding champion! But his weight was way low. On day 2 they weighed him in at 5 lbs 15 oz. Day 3 he was 5 lbs 9 oz. At the end of day 4 he was 5 lb 8 oz. It did not make any sense that he could lose that much weight that fast. Between the nurses that were in the OR and the NICU and the ped they determined that the initial weight on the scale was inaccurate. They decided to use 6 lbs 4 oz as an approximate birth weight, but still they were concerned about his weight loss.

I was a bit confused. From 6 lbs 4 oz to 5 lbs 15 oz to 5 lbs 8 oz over 3 days didn't seem like a huge drop to me. My daughter was born at 6 lbs 4 oz and her weight steadily dropped so fast that by the end of day 3, she was 5 lbs. He's on the same feeding schedule she was. By last night he was 5 lbs 10 oz, as he was this morning when they discharged us.

He's on a feeding schedule that demands he be topped up with formula every 3 hours. After 20 mins of BF on each side the ped would like to see him drink 20 ml of formula. Sunday and Monday he was BFing soooo well!! 17 mins a side, I was so happy! Sunday night my milk came in and he was getting so much milk he was gulping most of the time. Since we've had to supplement him with the formula he's down to 10 mins a side, leaving me seriously engorged the rest of the time. I'm scared what this is going to do to our future BFing.

We are at home now. He is beautiful. Everyone says he looks just like ME!!

Here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19371204@N06/3042443786/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19371204@N06/3042443960/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19371204@N06/3041602461/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19371204@N06/3042444422/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19371204@N06/3041602007/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM

Your boy is beautiful. I'm sorry to hear there's been a bit of trauma alongside his birth but I'm sure you'll do all you can to make this time as perfect as can be. COngratulations. :

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#3 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 PM

OH! That is one CUTE baby!

He's really precious!

Sorry that you were in so much pain though.

Glad he is nursing well.
#4 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Wow, what a cutie!! Congrats on surviving that pregnancy! I'm so happy to hear you are all home safe.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#5 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Congrats! It sounds like there was still some suck even after he was born. I hope you get everything straightened out soon. Welcome back, by the way! We missed you these last few days while you were in the hospital.
#6 of 30 Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 PM

Congrats Sage! It's a bummer that his sugars were low, but sounds like he's doing great. Sounds like you have plenty of milk and there's no need to supplement at all - but I am just encouraging BFing, not criticizing You've had a rough time but he's so worth it!
#7 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 AM

I'm DDC crashing, but I saw the pictures and had to say that he is absolutely adorable! Congrats!
#8 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 AM

He is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations mama!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#9 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

thank you He is really beautiful. We were in the hospital for 5 days and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, who came into our room stopped to gawk at him. He is just perfect. :

He is little at 5 lbs 10 oz. But he's growing. Actually to be honest, I kinda like that he's little. He's our last one so he'll be in that baby stage just that much longer!

I've made an executive decision, well, with my hubby of course. Since we've had to be supplementing him he's either sleeping or eating all the time. We don't get any of that baby look time because he's so full he just sleeps. So I'm going to focus more on breastfeeding and less on formula. He's gaining so I'm not that concerned about it. And he eats every 3 hours, if he's BFing like he was to begin with I don't see why his gains would stop.

It was long hard to journey to get us to this moment. But I'm watching him sleep on my bed and I'm crying because I'm so happy to be so in love with him. Every minute of the last 38 weeks was worth this, just this moment. One minute of this love with him equals everything else. I am blessed.
#10 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 AM

sage, that is wonderful. Congrats and speedy recovery to you

Wife to my great hubby 4/6/08, WOHM to Alex 1/10/09, my 2 gorgeous newfoundlands, and the cutest pug in the world! Expecting DS2 at the end of March, hoping for HBAC!

#11 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Congrats Sage. He really is gorgeous. You did a great job. I'm also encouraged to hear you day that all that you've been through is worth just one moment of the love you feel because I have been miserable this pregnancy and I keep telling myself it will be worth it. I think to read it from you (whose pregnancy has been much tougher than mine) solidifies that for me. I'm so sorry for all you had to go through, but I'm so glad you have your reward. Enjoy that baby boy!

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#12 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 AM

Sage, he's adorable! Congrats again, mama!

I'm sorry you were in so much pain I'm glad you are doing better and your babe is doing good too. I think if I were in your shoes I would have made the decision to only foucus on Bf'ing too. Now that your milk is in I think he will gain and thrive from it Keep us posted on he is and how bf'ing is going. Much love and light to you and Lucien! :
#13 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 AM

Double posted here and in Nov(Nov was the first place I saw your name and got excited!)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is the cutest little man I've ever seen!

Enjoy BF'ing...he'll get the hang of it and be a HAM in no time!

:
#14 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Oh, he's adorable!!! :
#15 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 03:42 AM

what a beautiful baby!!!
sage i hope youre in less pain and feel much better as time goes by.
#16 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
that is one GORGEOUS baby! He looks so adorable and peaceful. I can't wait to meet him :

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#17 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Congratulations! He's a beautiful baby.

I definitely think you've made the right decision to quit the formula.
#18 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Congrats Sage! Wow, is he absolutely beautiful!!!!

Christy
#19 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Oh my gosh!!! He's so adorable, Sage!!!! You must be so proud!!
Sorry for the horrid aftereffects. But what a blessing that he is so healthy! Congrats!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#20 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Congratulations! He is a cutie! I'm sorry for all the trauma involved but am happy you are home now.

As for the breastfeeding ... I have to agree with the OP and say NURSE and don't supplement him ... if he needs to nurse every 60 - 90 minutes, so be it ... if you have to keep him attached or switch nurse (super switch nursing - switch from one side - wait until he slows down and switch to the other breast - watch for him to slow down and switch back and continue until he pulls off and seems 'done. This assures that he'll have a chance to get plenty of your fatty, creamy hindmilk which fills tummies and puts on weight )

Formula is only going to cause your nursing relationship to suffer. He'll gain with your milk. As you probably know, formula is not digested as easily as breastmilk so it will make him 'full' and less likely to NEED your milk ... the vicious cycle continues until he's on formula full time. So give up the formula and nurse him as much as you are able until he gains enough to satisfy you and/or the Ped.

You will get plenty of encouragement from us!!!
(((( hugs ))))
#21 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 AM

oh, sage! He is absolutely precious!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#22 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Congrats !! ::

Your boy is PERFECT .. he is sooo adorable .. what a joy ! Keep up the good work !

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#23 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaperk View Post
As for the breastfeeding ... I have to agree with the OP and say NURSE and don't supplement him ... if he needs to nurse every 60 - 90 minutes, so be it ... if you have to keep him attached or switch nurse (super switch nursing - switch from one side - wait until he slows down and switch to the other breast - watch for him to slow down and switch back and continue until he pulls off and seems 'done. This assures that he'll have a chance to get plenty of your fatty, creamy hindmilk which fills tummies and puts on weight )

Formula is only going to cause your nursing relationship to suffer. He'll gain with your milk. As you probably know, formula is not digested as easily as breastmilk so it will make him 'full' and less likely to NEED your milk ... the vicious cycle continues until he's on formula full time. So give up the formula and nurse him as much as you are able until he gains enough to satisfy you and/or the Ped.

You will get plenty of encouragement from us!!!
(((( hugs ))))

Congratulations! So happy to hear everything is going great!

You've got LOADS of milk there from what you posted...maybe they were concerned because of his weight early on before your milk came in, but you have had your milk come in. Definitely expect him to nurse 8-12 times at the breast...and honestly no limiting him! The high calorie, fatty stuff is at the end of a feeding, you want him to have that the most...

The first two weeks of nursing are *super important* for establishing your supply, so the sooner you ditch the formula the better! Just nurse him as frequently as he's interested or is rooting (sucking on fists, etc.). Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand...the more he nurses the more milk you will make.

If I'm remembering right...this is your fourth though, right. So, you probably already know all of this already!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#24 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Congratulations!!!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#25 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

So glad he is here safe and sound. Wishing you a speedy recovering!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#26 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Congratulations Sage! He is a cutie. Hope you are feeling better and able to get some rest!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#27 of 30 Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Congratulations Sage! He is so beautiful!!!
I'm sorry you were in so much pain But glad that you're both home and doing well now.
I agree with everybody else, ditch the formula. Sounds like you have it covered
Enjoy your babymoon Mama! :
#28 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Congratulations! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm glad to see you feel like all the difficulties you went through were worth it. Lucien is an adorable baby! I'm glad to hear he's nursing well, too.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#29 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM

Congrats! :
#30 of 30 Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Congratulations! He is beautiful. And you are an inspiration!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page