Who is still working full time...and what do you do? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you still working and when are you going to stop?
Working full time until baby. 21 63.64%
Working full time until...post when. 4 12.12%
Are you insane...working full time!!! I need my naps! 1 3.03%
Working part time. 4 12.12%
other...please explain. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious who else is still working full time and are you going to work until you have the baby?
#2 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in software, I do quality assurance and project management. I have every intention of working full time until baby gets here. I did it with my son. I left work on Friday and had him on Sunday.

I have to say I long for the weekends I love napping midday with my son. I'm able to work from home and when I'm having a bad day I just do that.

What about everyone else?
#3 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Other - full time grad student, taking online classes now (so I still get my naps ). I also had a part time job, but I quit that over a month ago.
#4 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Working full time til baby comes... I don't want to lose any maternity leave for just hanging out and waiting. I do a mostly administrative job and am at a desk all day. The holidays are the saving grace... I will likely only have 2 more full weeks of work, the rest shortened due to the holidays. I am hoping and praying I do not go far past my due date... no one including my MW think I will at this point so I'm hoping. :

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#5 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 PM

I'll work full time until Wednesday, when I'll be 39 weeks. I don't want to waste my maternity leave, but I also feel like I need some mental time to prepare for baby - without thinking about work too. Luckily I work from home, in a comfy chair, so it's been pretty easy to keep working. I feel for any mama that works on her feet!

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#6 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 06:51 PM

I will be working up until the labor starts. Have to, because we can't afford anything else. I hope that I am able to work at least until Jan 2nd for health insurance reasons, but we'll see.

I work for a company that does software, and I do a bunch of random jobs around the office (I moved from my prior project management area because of the baby, and this allows me to do some work from home after the month I'm off). Thankfully, I'm able to take breaks every hour or so to lay down and let my body relax.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#7 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm working until babe is born. I do software stuff and mostly sit at a desk all day. The worst part is getting up early and coming in. I have a few vacation/sick days left to use though, so I am taking about one day off per week, which is nice.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#8 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM

I'm working until...I don't feel like it anymore? I'm 35 weeks now, baby is due in between Christmas and New Year's anyway. I want to make sure I have enough time to mentally prepare, as a PP said. I'm also moving to a new apartment in less than a week, so I'll have a lot to do to prepare. But I also don't want to "waste" my maternity leave waiting around. Can you tell I'm a bit conflicted? I work for a non-profit and I am mainly at my desk or at meetings this time of year--lots of sitting--so I am ok. I do happen to work on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator, so maybe I'll work until I just can't stand these stairs anymore!

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#9 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 09:04 PM

I've been working part-time since I had my son, and will be continuing until Dec 5th, when I'll be a bit over 37 weeks.

I HAD planned to work until at least the 12th, but due to the economy, we have been slow and my boss has "encouraged" us to all take off some extra time....so I figured I had better take advantage of it!

I'm a vet, and our days are long- I'm on my feet from 7:30am to 6:30 pm, and it's been getting harder and harder to get through a day, so I am looking forward to having some "sit-down" time to get ready for this new addition.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#10 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM

I'm planning to work up til my due date, hoping that the baby will wait until then! I'm due on the 13th, and the school where I teach goes until the 19th before the holiday break, so I've engaged a sub for the last week of the term. yep -- my job to find my own sub.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#11 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm working until my holiday time off (the week of christmas and new years) so I'm scheduled to work up to and including my due date.

However I run my own home based daycare and my MIL is my backup, so if Fiona decides to arrive before then we'll have our bases covered. All the parents know if I go into labor prior to my time off then we'll be closed for labor and delivery and then MIL will be working in my place.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#12 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM

I'm working straight up to labor, but I work from home and kind of set my own schedule and priorities so it's a little different than a real job. I have a LOT of meetings at night - for ex., this week I had 3 mtngs that kept me out of the house from 6pm-11pm and a Saturday mtng for 3 hours. Then I do a lot of calls and miscellaneous stuff in the day. But if I'm tired I can take a nap and if I don't feel well miss a mtng and I tend to sleep in these days. Up until a week ago I was really, really busy planning a major conference. Since then things have eased up but I'm trying to get everything together for when the baby does come so it's still a lot. But I really like keeping myself busy and distracted so I'm not focused on when the baby is coming. I have social and other plans up to and past my due date. I've gotten pretty much everything but the last of the xmas shopping done that I'd feel bad about/unprepared if I didn't finish before baby, but I like having plans. With my last baby, I worked up to my due date and then just had a "feeling" the baby was going to come on time and was sick of my job so took my maternity leave early (had planned on working until labor). It was such a mistake for me. I ended up totally bored and focused on when the baby would come and she ended up 6 torturous days late. Don't want to do that again. Luckily, my situation now is kind of ideal as I can stay busy and focused but take what time I need to prepare and rest - I'm very, very fortunate.
#13 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM

omg. I so wish I weren't still working. I work in the ER of a trauma center and am on my feet running (waddling) all the live long day. I can't really do it physically any more and have had to tell people that if they want me to talk to someone they are going to have to come to me or just wait awhile which isn't my style at all. I'm a social worker and my job ain't easy. I kinda have to work right up until I go into labor because I don't have much time saved up, nor do I have enough fmla thanks to being a single parent of two girls. Somehow I'm doing it but I'm not sure how. It's been really hard. I worked part time when I had the girls but that was like, 9 and 11 years ago, working like I have been is the pits. 40 plus a week.

sorry, I sound like I'm whining. It's just been really hard.
#14 of 25 Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM

I'm working up until I deliver... Actually, my due date is 12/2 and I'm scheduled until 12/20. Everyone knows I may not be there, but my boss figures I'd rather be at work than at home twiddling my thumbs... And I'm a nurse in a rural hospital so I will deliver there as well... makes it quite convenient. So far things are going well, the other nurses give me the "non-lifting" roles and try to help me out, which is nice, but I sometimes feel bad... but I think I can hold my own pretty well. I'm really glad I only work 3-12 hour shifts a week, plenty of time to relax and recuperate.

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
#15 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM

I am working until the baby comes, I write columns for a newspaper. I am also planning to continue work immediately after the baby comes - need the money, and they don't do paid maternity leave where I am. But.. I work from home, from my computer, so I don't see it is going to be a problem.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#16 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM

I work full time as a drafter for a metal building company. I plan to work until the day I give birth. I did the same thing last time around. Just called my boss on a Monday morning and told him that I wasn't coming in -- had DD the next day.

This time around will be about the same, I think. Right now I'm staying busy wrapping up loose ends. Afterward, I'll be doing small things here and there till birth.

However, my latest loose end is a very large project. It will be taken over by the rest of the department and probably subbed out when I leave.

They are joking about me working while on maternity leave, and I would honestly love to do that. Newborns sleep a lot, and last time around I was bored at home.
#17 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 11:49 AM

im working full time right now as a film and tv writer and producer. wrapping up a project right before baby!
#18 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

wow....we have some very interesting career mommies in here!!!
#19 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm working until Labor starts! I work from home for a PR company based out of NYC but I work in the metro Detroit area. My job is all sitting, and the hardest part for me is that my hips hurt so much I have to get up and move around every half an hour or so.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#20 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM

I'm either going to keep working until the baby comes, or until school lets out for Christmas break on the 19th, whichever comes first. I work as a speech pathologist.

Mama to my sweet toddler DS1 (12/19/08), new arrival DS2 (04/18/11) homebirth.jpg  and married to my best friend for 6 years. 
#21 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretae View Post
omg. I so wish I weren't still working. I work in the ER of a trauma center and am on my feet running (waddling) all the live long day. I can't really do it physically any more and have had to tell people that if they want me to talk to someone they are going to have to come to me or just wait awhile which isn't my style at all. I'm a social worker and my job ain't easy. I kinda have to work right up until I go into labor because I don't have much time saved up, nor do I have enough fmla thanks to being a single parent of two girls. Somehow I'm doing it but I'm not sure how. It's been really hard. I worked part time when I had the girls but that was like, 9 and 11 years ago, working like I have been is the pits. 40 plus a week.

sorry, I sound like I'm whining. It's just been really hard.
I don't work (at a paid job anyway!) but I just wanted to give you some

And just so I can add to this thread, I worked until 38 weeks with DS.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#22 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM

I put other.. I'm a full-time student in a PhD program, I do what I can for lab work in between classes but they've been pretty flexible about letting me take a day off here and there when I need it. I'm planning to finish the semester, hopefully baby will stay in that long!

I have my comprehensive exam all day Dec. 12th and a final for another class Dec. 17th, which I may see if I can take early since I'm due the 20th, and once those are out of the way I'll be taking time off until classes start again at the end of January. Unless the baby comes early, in which case I'll have to make arrangements to make up exams, probably in early January.
#23 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm working until baby. It's getting a lot harder, especialy with the pain down my leg. I'm a CNA at the continuing care center attatched to our local hospital. Our avenue is pretty heavy and sometimes stressful. The work has definetly helped me to keep the weight gain in check (even though I've indulged in cravings a bit too much). So I work from 6:30-3 and then come home and some nights DH has to work 5-10ish, leaving me to take care of DD. I must admit it's getting very tiring, but we just can't afford any other way.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#24 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM

I put other...
I have several jobs besides being the full time mama to my 3 boys ages 6.5, 4.5, and almost 2 and wife to a dh w/ physical disabilities.

I have been nannyig 2 girls for 9 years. They are ages 9.5 and almost 13. They have been at my last 2 births and plan to be at this one as well so I will literally be working right through birth W/ each one of my boys I was working my reg. schedule w/ the girls w/in 1 wk of birth. Now that they are older that really just consists of of after school p-ups and some evening care. They are really tons of help though so it isn't bad.

My other job is more complicated. I own my own baby equipment rental company (www.travelintotsrentals. com). I have been doing it for 4 years. I rent all kinds of equipment such as cribs, high chairs, car seats, strollers, amby hammock, co sleepers, pack and plays, toys, toddler beds, etc. I deliver the items for families that are traveling here on vacation. Our busiest time of the year is from Thanksgiving to New years. I am due somewhere from the 20th of dec. to 25th. Not sure of my dates exactly. W/ ds 3 I worked right up until labor and then had dh do deliveries until ds3 was about 5 days old then I took over again. I was taking phone orders w/in 12 hours after his birth (from bed). I had a major melt down yesterday and just don't think that I am going to be able to do that this time. I have major preggo brain and am making silly mistakes. Nothing serious but I hate looking like an idiot I have a call into my sil to see if she can take over this weekend until mid jan. and am waiting to hear back from her. I sure hope that works out. I feel I am just a tad over extended right now.

It is interesting to see how many working mamas we have in this ddc and how varied the jobs are.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#25 of 25 Old 11-25-2008, 03:13 PM

I'm working up until my vacation starts. The university's winter break runs from Dec. 24 to Jan. 2, and since my due date is Dec. 29 I'm hoping to get a few days off before this baby arrives.

I'm a web designer for a couple of the departments at the university and I work from home most of the time, so it's no trouble. Normally, I go in to the office once a week but as of this week I'm not doing that anymore. My feet are swelling and it's getting harder to get around, and both my doctor and DH don't want me driving an hour and a half each way by myself.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page