So sad about GBS - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing to note, if you are allergic to penicillin... I don't think you can have the IM injection, at least over here there is no alternate form for people who are allergic. Obviously, this could be different in the USA. It does sting as well (as most IM injections do).
#32 of 38 Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbybaby View Post
Also when treated with an IV for + can they just administer the abx and you request leaving the needle in but not being hooked up to a bag during the whole labor? I was very busy during my last pregnancy/labor and needed to move around a lot with my first labor in different positions, and its honestly giving me anxiety worrying about being tied down to a pole, so if anyone has info on this and whether I can demand the line be taken off after the first dose and re hooked up for the other doses in between contractions/showering, position changes etc, would be mighty helpful. Daddy already has said he prefers me to get the abx even though I really don't like the idea of getting it, because he'll be upset if the baby gets sick (who wouldn't be :P)
Not from your DDC, but if I test positive the birthing center I'll be at will just leave the heplock in my arm between IV bags. No need to be hooked up to it the whole time. Make sure you ask your provider though, there might be different procedures depending on if you are at home/birth center/hospital.
#33 of 38 Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

Ahh ok, thanks for the replies, I'm going to pick up some probiotics to start taking prior to admitting to help prevent the yeast infection, I can't imagine giving birth and what it would feel like to get a yeast infection afterwards when you already have that healing, itchy, dryness going on down there and obviously not being able to use the traditional yeast infection treatments.
It would drive me absolutely insane...

I'm going to mention the IM injection with my DR and also about the IV line not being connected the entire time. I don't see it really being reasonable to be hooked up to an IV during the entire labor when you don't need it medically other than for the abx, god even the idea of getting the abx stresses me out with all these superbugs and stomach problems babies seem to have now. Anyways thanks for the replies, I'll check with my Dr and get back to you with how that goes next week.
#34 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM

Just got back from my 37 week apt and I tested positive. My doc was very unconcerned though and really sweet (I LOVE her). She just said I'll need to have the antibiotics when I arrive at the hospital but I'll still be free to walk around and get in the shower. So it won't be a big deal. I'd rather deal with the antibiotics and the potential side effects than if I didn't take them. So far everything has been good and the research I've done says most of the problems come when the baby is premature. So I'm not going to stress about it. Thanks for all the good suggestions!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

#35 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 AM

I found out at my 37-week checkup today that I'm GBS+ this time -- my first time ever! I'm not stressing about it, and neither are the midwives -- they just said to do what I would normally do as far as coming in to the hospital, since I've never had a precipitous labor before. If I deliver before the four hours are up, though, they'll apparently just keep us an extra 24 hours to watch the baby for signs of infection. My friend who's an L&D nurse says it's really easy to tell if something is going wrong, and that it rarely does, so I'm not stressing about it either way.

This does make me glad I haven't so far been inclined to have my water break early at all. And better that it should happen in my third pregnancy, when labors tend to be shorter, than in my first, which dragged on for 2 1/2 days!

I'm a little concerned about getting thrush, though. I've had it before, and it blows! Would it help me at all to start taking a probiotic now? Or would it be a waste of time to do it before I'm actually exposed to the abx?
#36 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
I'm a little concerned about getting thrush, though. I've had it before, and it blows! Would it help me at all to start taking a probiotic now? Or would it be a waste of time to do it before I'm actually exposed to the abx?
me too (though i've never had it before).

i've been taking a probiotic for weeks now, as i figure it can't hurt -- and it can only help keep the GBS colonization lower (therefore lessening the risk to baby, hopefully). i'll keep taking it after birth and keep my fingers crossed.

like you, i expect my labor to be too short for the abx to be either administered or to work properly, so the stronger i can keep my immune system & my gut health until that point, the better for everyone...
#37 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilech View Post
We look for risk factors around labour and generally monitor and inform parents on what to look for. (I am a student midwife) I can give you the guidelines we give parents if you like.
Yes, please.
#38 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
Yes, please.
I posted them here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page