Dialation & Effacement progress thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be fun to know where everyone is in their progress.(for those that get checked)
I had a cervical check yesterday & cervix was funneling from 3cm to 1cm. so.......I'm 1cm dialated & 50% effaced @ 35w3d
#2 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:12 PM

Go mamas, go!!!!!

BTW, when I went in for my m/w appt the day before my water broke, I was only dilated a cm although I was significantly effaced.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I kinda wish I knew. The dr. didn't check me last time, though she did say the baby was head down. My next appt isn't until next monday. I'll be 37 weeks by then. With my first DD, I was dilated 4 cm for over a month before she was born...so I guess it doesn't really matter if I am dilated yet. I still want to know though...

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#4 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Oh...uh, does anyone know if there is a way to check yourself? Just curious.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#5 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post
Oh...uh, does anyone know if there is a way to check yourself? Just curious.
I know one finger tip=1cm
yesterday the Dr held up his 4 fingers & said that = 8cm
does that help at all?

or get a measurement of your own fingers using cm...& go from there
#6 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 PM

I've got 1cm, maybe 1 1/2cm as of this morning. No effacement.

I'm starting to get insanely impatient though!

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#7 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM

My dr. gave me the option to be checked yesterday, I'm 39w today, I declined... it doesn't really mean anything as you've said, you can "pop" into labor anytime or walk around 4cm for weeks... so why dig around in there if we don't need to? :0) It totally bothers my MIL who is all about the conventional way of doing things, "did you get checked?" "haven't you had another US?" etc. Whereas my mom is much more laid back, "it'll happen when it happens..." Funny how our parents shape us!

Lea RN, Wife to Josh (5 years), Mama to DS1 (19 mos)
#8 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM

I was checked two weeks ago, 35 weeks, and was 0cm but 80% effaced.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
#9 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM

I go in tomorrow so I will let you guys know then! I better be doing something! lol Baby hasn't moved AS MUCH today as normal. We'll see what MW says about that too. Maybe not enough room? Too tired to squirm about?? We just went out to eat, then to the lake to walk around the sandy beach, then to a pond across the street to feed duckies(too cute by the way) and then home...there was SOOOO much pressure down there! OUCH!
#10 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM

1cm -4 station as of last wed at 34w 6d and one of the boys kicked the Dr's finger when she checked me =D good boy!

twin boys born 11/28/08, pregnant with #3 due 3/13/12

#11 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 PM

I think I am getting checked tomorrow (36w3d)when the MW does the GBS test since she will be down there anyway. The MW I saw at my last appt she said she planned to do it this week to verify baby's position too, but she had to cancel my appt Monday due to being in L&D and I was only able to get an appt with the other MW in the practice if I didn't want to wait until next week. I have been feeling a lot of low pressure when I have contractions, so I hope something is going on even though I know it doesn't mean much in terms of when labor will actually start.
#12 of 56 Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 PM

I'm 36 weeks today and just had my dr appt earlier and got checked. I'm 1 1/2 cms (She said not quite 2cms but a very loose 1cm) dialated, 50-60% effaced and baby still at -3 station head down. Didn't ask about cervical length but last week it was only 2cms. Last week (at 35 weeks) I was 1 cm dialted and 40% effaced. Everything is so much more uncomfortable-hard to drive and sit. Baby's moving fine and tons of pressure though I have noticed during contractions that baby pushes on me or stretches out or something -it's hard to explain but very weird. I actually go pretty fast once I hit 3-4 cms. Have been drinking insane amounts of water to keep back contrations/labor away, about 100-140ozs of water a day. Feel like I'm drowning and I so hate water right now. But making sure that the back labor is not from dehydration and not real labor. I expect to go within the next week. My next appt isn't til 38 weeks. Oh and I got my GBS results back and they were negative so I don't have to deal with antibiotics or refusing them.

*I forgot to add also:
Been nesting last week and now, spent all last week cleaning and organizing the house as much as I could, just have bathroom left-going to see if my mom could do it as I hate cleaning bathrooms. This week I have been making freezer meals for after when the baby. I made 9 meals today and hope to make 6-10 meals tomorrow. Yesterday went to Costco to get all the ingredients that I hadn't gotten in the past few weeks.

I have gained 3 lbs-up to a totally of 33 lbs this pregnancy-in the last week but it must be all baby as I haven't bloated or puffed out anywhere like I normally do in my hands and feet.

Can't remember if there was anything else to add. So that's all for now.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#13 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm 1-2cms and about 70% effaced, and this kid is seriously engaged. I thought he was sitting low before, but this past week has brought on a whole new level of low (and pain!). The midwife was a little shocked at my appointment today, actually. No BH though, only that vague achey cramp feeling like when you get your period. I want this kid to get here already, but I think it will be a while still.
It is a little scary to think of having a baby any second now though. My house is not super tidy, and the whole backseat is full of stuff that needs to be dropped off elsewhere (Good Will, recycling depot, library, etc, etc). Oh, and I have exams the week of the 14th. But, hey, babies come, and we figure it out, right?
It's very exciting to be seeing birth announcements. Congratulations all, and I can't wait to join in myself!

For greater things are yet to come...

#14 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 AM

I'll get checked on Monday.

Meanwhile... I've jabbed a finger as far as I could and didn't even come close to my cervix. That's either short fingers, short arms, or a big belly, lol.
#15 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 AM

I got checked yesterday (after 4 hours of what felt like labor) and was just 1cm. That's 1cm more than two weeks ago, anyhow. *shrug*
#16 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM

At 34 weeks I was 1-2 cm and 80% effaced, baby was at -2 and I was put on modified bedrest.

I just got checked Monday at 36 weeks and a different midwife said I was 1cm and 60% effaced?????

I don't know, I was less dilated and effaced than that when I got checked and went into labor with DS the next day, so I'm not taking much stock in it.
#17 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Hah hah this is funny...I've had a cerclage stitch in the whole pregnancy so that I didn't dilate early. It was taken out today. Last pregnancy when they took it out I immediately dilated to 2 centimeters and I was already significantly (maybe 80%) effaced...I still didn't go into labor for three weeks, eventually I was induced.

So today I get it taken out and .... NOTHING. I'm still high, long, closed, firm, and he couldn't even get the very tip of his finger in. I expect to still be pregnant in January, but who knows
#18 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 PM

37 weeks here, + (since I want to go to "due date") pleased to report: long/closed/posterior (whatever that means); soft.

dd is feverish + like a limpet; typing one handed ;P
#19 of 56 Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM

Saw my MW today, baby is head down, but really high. Cervix was too high to even feel any dilation. I'm still 3 weeks away from my due date, so I shouldn't be disappointed, but it would have been nice if all these contractions had done a little something
#20 of 56 Old 11-27-2008, 11:17 AM

38w4d and long, soft and closed. This is my second babe.

I've had some crazy random strong contractions the last week and tons of pressure so I was surprised to have no progress at all. I know baby is still up high though and since I'm trying to make it past my due date I should be pleased but there was a tiny bit of disappointment when I found that out.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#21 of 56 Old 11-27-2008, 02:44 PM

So...went to the MW yesterday. I didn't sleep AT ALL...before I went to bed *this morning* I'd been up for 33 hours...no sleep. I was SO exhausted, but my mind and body wouldn't let me sleep.

Anywho, I told her about it and she asked if I'd had a glass of wine, I said no bc it didn't sound appealing. SO she said "you like beer...??" : I have permission to drink beer. : Then she checked me...I was 1 cm d, and really starting to funnel out. She felt the top of his head with her finger...cool! She had asked me when we first went in there if I wanted her to 'irritate things a bit'..I of course said yes. They don't really strip membranes unless they have to, which she didn't...she just played with my cervix a bit...lol. She poked and prodded Evan a bit...which I bc I get to feel his outline...and Ashton got to feel his outline too! It was SOOOO cool to see her reaction! Then she let Ashton take over and SHE was my MW! She located Evan's Heart beat through his cord, then his chest, took my BP, and measured me...which Evan had a growth spurt! Last week my bump was measuring at 34, 5 days later he measured at 36!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW BATMAN!!!!!!!!!! I had mentioned that I thought Evan would weigh about 8 lbs at birth, Mw agreed, she says she thinks he's about 7 lbs right now just by poking at him.

She said that afterwards I would be achey and crampy...boy was she right! It started about an hour after...I was having REAL BAD CTX, coul dbarely stand up straight...back was miserable pain, the whole nine yards. I said to my mom " Now how am I supposed to know if this is just what she did to me or if I'm in real labor?????" lol We went back to moms house, I was supposed to take Ashton to her dad's but I was hurting SO bad that I had my dad take her. DH came to get me bc I didn't feel safe driving. So we went to the mall to eat at Chili's and then walked over to Barnes and Noble to find some big sister books. I went to go find a chair bc I was in imense pain, DH went to go find the books, and I sat there for no more than 5 minutes and was in so much pain and all the sudden I felt sick to my stomach and HOT. SO we high tailed it out of there and went home. The whole time I'm moaning and acting a fool. I felt stupid bc I don't think that I'm in real labor...but it sure feels like it.

So I had a *decent* nights sleep, still yucky tummy though. Had ctx all night. Not feeling *that* great this morning, but we are going to try to go to my SIL's house. I HAVE TO HAVE SOME SORT OF T-DAY FOOD! This is my fav holiday....I WILL NOT MISS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

OH YEAH! Ashton was wanting to be there when I had Evan, but she changed her mind yesterday. I think she saw me in pain yesterday and can't handle seeing mommy like that. I'm so very sad, but I understand where she is coming from. I would NEVER force her to go, but it just feels like a part of me will be missing. I'm actually REALLY sad about it. I was trying so hard not to cry.

SO that's me in a nutshell...if you don't hear from me for a couple of days...I'm either hurting to bad to get on, or I had a little tyke come into our lives!
#22 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 AM

Okay two wks ago I was 1cm dilated (at 36wks) soft but still a bit high and long, and posterier, baby is at -1 station. Is that high or low I always forget? and when will your cervex even out?

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#23 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Does anyone know about the station thing? Guess I could just google it!!!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#24 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 03:49 PM

-1 station is pretty low, that is where I am too...

I'm 38 wks 2 days and at my check up 2 days ago the mw said I was 1 cm, -1, anterior and 70% effaced...as a first timer, I know what that means technically, but what does it mean in everyone else's experience as far as how long I might have? I have lots of BH, but no real contrax yet...I need this baby to stay in there for at least another week, there are way too many projects to be finished!!

Judy treehugger.gif wife to Brandon 7.15.06 -- Mama to Micah Rowan 12.08.08 -- EBF, babywearing, selective/delayed vax (none so far) -- expecting baby #2 in March 2012 and planning a homebirth!

#25 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM

I think you need to get to +4; you start out at -4.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#26 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 PM

37 weeks w/#5....I am 2-3cm and 80%, -2 fully engaged but still posterior.

Doesn't mean much as I sat at 5cm and 100% -1 with my 4th.
#27 of 56 Old 11-28-2008, 11:21 PM

I am 37 weeks and some change. I have been going between 2cm and 5cm for two weeks. The baby is completely dropped and the doctor is shocked that I haven't gone into labor yet. the contractions are regular in irregular patterns, so this has caused some false alarms. I just really want this pressure to be relieved!

Wife to a wonderful husband and mother to DS. Expecting LO (April 17, 2009)
#28 of 56 Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Still having ctx, but they are still sporatic. Had them this morning for an hour every 7 minutes, but they turned sporatic again after I got up and ate. I'm wondering how friggin long I will have to do this until he actually comes out. I'm exhausted....sheesh! lol
#29 of 56 Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish11 View Post
I think you need to get to +4; you start out at -4.
I thought it was the other way around. +4 is floating around somewhere above your cervix. 0 is at your cervix and -4 is in the birth canal about to make an enterance.

No, wait, you're right. DUH. haha.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#30 of 56 Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Can you tell baby's station from the outside or does that require an internal exam? I don't plan on doing any internal exams and don't set much stock by dilation as it can vary so widely before labor starts. I don't want to be too excited or too frustrated unnecessarily. But I would like to know how far the baby has dropped just b/c I can't tell what is considered low and how much more pressure (pre-labor) to expect, etc. My mw said he is definitely engaged in the pelvis at our last visit (at 36w2d, now 37w6d), but not sure what that means exactly. He feels lower for sure and there is more pressure - but I don't feel like there's a bowling ball between my legs or anything and can still walk without waddling I've been having lots more BH and sometimes definitely painful and more pelvic pressure, but generally feel okay and not like this baby needs to come out really soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page