Swelling..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been getting some significant swelling in my feet and legs worsening this past week. I've been off work all this week and really taking it easy so I am surprised the swelling is getting worse. They are monitoring my blood pressure closely as it is slightly high at this time...so that probably is not helping. My question is Im a nurse and will be going back to work next week which means I will be on my feet alot. Im trying to work as close to baby arrival as possible...although it is getting much more difficult . Is there anything that can help with the swelling other than getting your feet up and watching sodium intake?

2/07; First time momma to Colton 12/10/08
#2 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Sometimes not getting enough soldium will cause your body to retain fluids (wish I'd known this with my other 2 pgs!). Also, swimming, or even just soaking in a bath with some epsom or sea salts can help. A tea comtaining red raspberry leaf, dandelion root, and nettle leaves can help, and/or alfalfa tea/capsules. Watermelon and cantaloupe are also natural diuretics. Best wishes (I'm dealing with this, too- blech!)
#3 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM

If you increase you sodium intake a little with a natural sea salt...sorry not the little blue box with the umbrella girl on it...it can make a difference. Being in the water will help you rid your body of excess water. like metioned above swimming, warm bath, and adding some epsom salts can help too. The teas mentioned are good too.
#4 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh yeah one more thing..add more protien maybe some almonds (unsalted) or a protien that is natrally lower in sodium. (not pork)
#5 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 PM

You can also try compression stockings.
#6 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 PM

compression stockings and WATER - LOTS OF WATER.
So much water that you feel like you always have to pee.

This pregnancy, I'm drinking a lot more water than before, and my swelling is obviously less. I'm on my feet more this time, too, resting less - all things that would lead to more swelling.

Unfortunately, they don't make compression stockings for faces ...............
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM

I had TERRIBLE swelling (still do; was told it would go away 1-2 weeks from now). Elevating my feet worked but I was not successful in truly reducing the swelling. All the water was TORTURE too considering my bladder activity but it did help some.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#8 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions. I'm definately going to give them a try. Elevating my feet is just really not helping..as soon as I get up there huge again. I'm heading out tonite to get some compression stockings and give those a try. I definately need to increase the water intake as well. I drink lots of water but Im not really going to the restroom as often as I would think I should be.

#9 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM

If you're not peeing like *all the time* then you're not drinking enough. I try to slow down at about 9pm (or I wouldn't get *any* sleep), but the rest of the day, it's non-stop. I have had very minimal ankle-swelling, much much less than previous pregnancies.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#10 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 08:14 PM

don't know if this will help, but at my last pre-natal massage my massage therapist showed my how to massage my feet, ankles, and calves to move some of the fluid out of them. they're not crazy-swollen, but just puffy and uncomfortable (and I can hardly wear any shoes but clogs). she started at the toes, using the thumbs on both hands in gentle but firm sweeping motions and moved up the foot, around the ankles, and up the calf, quite slowly - just imagine you're actually pushing the liquid back up the legs. it was amazing to see how much one went down even after just working on for a few minutes! if you're as big as I am right now, reaching the feet is a whole story in itself, but I have showed dh how to do it and he seems to getting the hang of it! also I've heard essential oil of tangerine (mixed w. a carrier oil) is good for reducing swelling. good luck mama!
#11 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Another thing to try since you have elevated BP also is lying on your side whenever you are resting. That is what I had to do when I was on bedrest for high BP and swelling with my first pregnancy (I think it takes more pressure off your kidneys?) and it helped a lot with the swelling even though I did still develop pre-e.
Good luck!
#12 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM

My MW says to drink at least 3 liters of water per day. I haven't had bad issues with swelling with my other two pregnancies, but I also haven't had a problem with this pregnancy either. On days when I am on my feet a lot, I have some swelling, but it's not bad. I also have DH watch our other two kids take warm baths.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#13 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I just started having a problem with swelling this week, too. My feet and ankles look all puffy and gross!

The thing that worries me, though, is that my legs also hurt. Is anyone else experiencing this? Like, it hurts just to touch my legs or ankles, especially my lower legs. I didn't think the swelling would be painful like this.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#14 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiraldancer View Post
don't know if this will help, but at my last pre-natal massage my massage therapist showed my how to massage my feet, ankles, and calves to move some of the fluid out of them. they're not crazy-swollen, but just puffy and uncomfortable (and I can hardly wear any shoes but clogs). she started at the toes, using the thumbs on both hands in gentle but firm sweeping motions and moved up the foot, around the ankles, and up the calf, quite slowly - just imagine you're actually pushing the liquid back up the legs. it was amazing to see how much one went down even after just working on for a few minutes! if you're as big as I am right now, reaching the feet is a whole story in itself, but I have showed dh how to do it and he seems to getting the hang of it! also I've heard essential oil of tangerine (mixed w. a carrier oil) is good for reducing swelling. good luck mama!
Thanks for the info. I'll definately be recruiting DH to try this type of massage. I had him read your post

#15 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann15 View Post
Another thing to try since you have elevated BP also is lying on your side whenever you are resting. That is what I had to do when I was on bedrest for high BP and swelling with my first pregnancy (I think it takes more pressure off your kidneys?) and it helped a lot with the swelling even though I did still develop pre-e.
Good luck!

I didnt think of that. I'll definately try to lay on my side when resting. I do when I am sleeping but dont really think about it during the day.

#16 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I just started having a problem with swelling this week, too. My feet and ankles look all puffy and gross!

The thing that worries me, though, is that my legs also hurt. Is anyone else experiencing this? Like, it hurts just to touch my legs or ankles, especially my lower legs. I didn't think the swelling would be painful like this.
Yup thats exactly what I am experiencing. I'm having swelling with tenderness lower legs and feet.

#17 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM

Even drinking a ton of water here if I'm on my feet a lot my ankles do get puffy....like the day before Thanksgiving...I didn't lie down or take pretty much any breaks from cooking all day. :

At the end of the day my ankles looked horrible! And, I totally expected it as this is my fourth pregnancy. If I overdo it, that's what happens!

The important thing is that if you do swell it is staying in the feet ankles...they obviously worry about it if your swelling goes upwards (face/hands, etc.) and most definitely if there are blood pressure issues.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#18 of 20 Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Not in this DDC, but I'm thinking about trying compression stockings. I read online that you should get an Rx for them unless you buy the lowest compression amount, which no Rx is needed. Anyone find that to be true? I have a long flight next week and particularly want them for that. I'll ask my m/w Thursday but may want to purchase them before then if I have to order them online.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#19 of 20 Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM

YES, get compression hose
you don't need a prescription, but they are expensive - and a script would make it a medical expense that you could get help with.

You can get them at a medical supply store, but they're pricier there. You can get a med/high compression hose or knee high through a good quality maternity supplier. NOT motherhood.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#20 of 20 Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM

I was always told to eat 100 grams of protein a day and if your on your feet alot and have many demands it can go up to 125 grams a day. My feet and legs have been swollen but my bp is always perfect. compression stockings help but are hard to put on, water is supposed to help a great deal. The protein really helps with bp and swelling.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page