My water broke 36 hours ago....still no baby! *UPDATE! BABY!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I am a lurker who is addicted to the MDC forums! This place has been my saving grace throughout this pregnancy.

I am at 39 weeks and my water broke at 3am on Thursday on my grandparent's sofa sleeper...a big gusher! Wow! (Luckily the mattress was so uncomfortable that DH and I put down three blankets underneath us for extra padding, thus extra absorption!)

Since then, I have had contractions come and go in regular patterns, then peter out. I was up from 1am to 6am last night with contractions every 8 minutes or so lasting for 1 - 1.5 minutes. Then nothing for 30 minutes at a time. They seem to go away with increased activity...that or I just don't notice the intensity as much.

I lost my mucus plug (hate that term!) and am continuing to lose amniotic fluid every now and then. My midwives aren't worried as the baby's vitals and my vitals are good and am I laboring at home until we decide to head into the birth center. Luckily they don't have a policy about how long before induction. It just makes me sooooo happy that our little boy has the opportunity to not be "told" when he has to come out. Nature will do it's thing.

Oh, and I am a home study Hypnobabies student and I must say that is is really helping me! I am amazed so far! I will have more to report later on that subject, I am sure.

I am off to do 30 minutes of nipple stimulation (yee-howdy!) to see if that might help speed things along.

I just wanted to share my story with you all!

******UPDATE POST BELOW*************
#2 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM

How exciting! It took about 20 hours before labor started with my first after water broke.

according to my mw, the risk with infection is negligible if you don't have vaginal exams. But they do them at the hospital, hence all the freaking out and 24 hour worries.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#3 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 PM

honey all of this sounds great and im so glad hypnobabies is helping. i know you can go a long while with water broken and i have heard too the risk of infection is overblown. im sure your MW is telling you to watch for fever, etc. you sound great. have a beautiful birth!!
#4 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Yahoo! Sounds like you are in a great state of mind and working with some great women to support you. Have a wonderful birth!!!!!
#5 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 PM

How exciting, your babe will be in your arms soon! Good luck and keep us posted!

:
#6 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 09:55 PM

That is so exciting! Congratulations!!!!! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story :::

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#7 of 20 Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Hello hypno sista!!!!

I hope things have progressed smoothly since your last post!

Here's to a beautiful, comfortable birthing time!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Baby Cohen Jesse Allen was finally born Saturday Nov. 29th at 9:49am. He was 7lbs 8 oz. (my husband's prediction!) and 21 1/4 inches long. We just returned from the hospital earlier tonight as I am type 0 blood and he is type B, which apparently is a bad mix that has given him a case of jaundice. Nevertheless he is very healthy and wonderful! I am truly in LOVE!

My birth was not the birth I expected (don't read if you are trying to protect yourself.) After my water broke at 3am on Thanksgiving, I started and stopped labor that night and the next night. Finally on Friday afternoon around 2pm things really picked up after my midwife suggested 30 minutes of nipple stimulation (whew!) I was at the birth center by 4pm. Unfortunately Cohen tried to make his appearance into this world posterior (forehead/left temple first) with back labor. I loved being in labor up until about 8 centimenters or so and Hypnobabies was my saving grace. It helped keep me calm and focused, although it was not pain free. I couldn't have done it without a supporting Hypnobabies doula. She was amazing! I was in transition for 4 hours and pushed in every position possible for 3-4 hours before submitting my exhausted self to the fact that he was not going to come by my accord. I was 9.5 cent. dialated with a cervical lip that the midwife spent hours trying to push around Cohen's head only to have it "snap back." All I wanted was an hour nap, but nature doesn't work that way! That was around 8:30am. I was transported to the hospital which was thankfully 2 blocks away. The OB said that there was no way that he would allow me to continue pursuing a vaginal birth even with an epidural at that point so C-section it was. At that point, I wanted nothing more than to be put out of my misery. It was very traumatic and I immediately began grieving the loss of the birth I wanted. After talking to all midwives involved, DH and even some hospital staff, I did all that I could and feel that my life was saved. I know that sounds dramatic to some, especially first time mom's who, like me, can rehearse the negative side effects of c-sections and drugs, have watched the Business of Being Born more than twice and who admittedly passed judgement on other c-section mom's, but I feel that my life was saved. I have been humbled. Completely humbled and am somewhat ashamed that I refused to believe that this could happen to me. It did happen to me and I am so thankful that modern medicine was there to help me.

I could easily elaborate on my experience, Hypnobabies, how we were treated by some hospital staff, etc. but really do need to sleep. I haven't since last Wednesday it seems.

Best wishes to all!
#9 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Congratulations on the birth of baby Cohen.

Sorry you didn't get the birth you want but like you said, sometimes there is a real need for a c-section. Thankfully we have that option available nowadays. Well done to you for trying so hard though, 3-4 hours pushing, wow, you have some stamina!

Hope you're enjoying your babymoon.
#10 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm sorry your baby's birth was so hard, but Congratulations!! Enjoy him!

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#11 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Congratulations and welcome! I am sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned, but it sounds like you have a wonderful attitude about everything and are at peace. It is a good reminder that modern medicine is here for a reason and I am glad that he arrived safely.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#12 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM

Congratulations! Sounds very hard but also like you have a great attitude about it. Enjoy your baby, that's the most important thing!
#13 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Congratulations on the new baby! Please rest up, take care of yourself and enjoy your new baby! Hope he's nursing like a champ!!!

Sorry that baby wound up in a difficult birthing position and you wound up having to transfer and have a cesarean. Labor and birth with posterior babes can be rough (did that with my last babe who was stubborn...came out posterior as he wouldn't rotate), incredibly rough if it's your first babe. Continue to be good to yourself as you find yourself on that journey digesting, analyzing and reflecting upon his birth. We all spend that time reflecting, even when we don't have obvious trauma.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#14 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM

Congratulations!
#15 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Congratulations!!!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#16 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Congratulations on your new baby! :

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#17 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM

:congrats!
#18 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Congrats on the birth of baby Cohen! :

I have been thinking about you and I am glad that you and babe are safe and sound and with one another

much love and light to you both :
#19 of 20 Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM

Congratulations! :

My babe isn't here yet but I have to say this pg has been humbling for me too. There is a time and a place for everything. :
#20 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeBorn View Post
Congratulations and welcome! I am sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned, but it sounds like you have a wonderful attitude about everything and are at peace. It is a good reminder that modern medicine is here for a reason and I am glad that he arrived safely.
She said everything I wanted to. Congratulations Mama, rest and relax, and enjoy your sweet baby boy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page