Big ole back ache!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First I'll say I know this is not b/c of impending labor or back labor, etc.

I slept really "off" the other night and was fighting falling into a huge cave dp made in our way too soft bed..and was sleeping uphill, if you will...and woke in the middle of the the night w/ back pain.

It hurt yesterday...and then got awful by night and could hardly walk! So I rested all day today and laid in bed hoping that would help. It's noon here and it hurts still

Feels like a spasm in my lower back/pelvis area on my right side. Hurts if I lift my leg too high or move wrong and when I walk. It's like yesterday...I can walk but I know by night it will be horrible.

I don't take medicine...so what can I do to relieve the pain? Just try warm compresses? Cold ones? Geez..I don't even know the difference! I have hurt this area before, as a kid in "sports" and a teen in "sports" a million years ago. I just want it to go away! I have SO much to do this weekend....unpack some boxes, move some furniture to fit the birth pool, organize clothes, and generally get ready for the babe. Dp is here to help but I feel awful and can't!

Any advice to get rid of this? No chiro..no time w/ 4 kids who homeschool and a dp who works. Not doable for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Sounds like your muscles are really wacked out. You should do warm compresses or a heating pad. Cold will lower inflammation but cause the muscles to contract really badly. Put it on for 30 minutes and let it rest for 15. Repeat. That should start to help. If it doesn't, then you may need to see a professional because it means something more is wrong than just muscle spasms.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Have dp massage the area. If you find a few pressure points or knots, use a tennis ball to get the muscles to release. I know it hurts at first but it feels SO much better when the muscles release. I would recommend 10 minutes of ice after a deep massage because massage releases toxins into the body and can worsen swelling, and the ice will help relieve that. Also, drink lots of water. Heating pads should help at other times. Good luck, I know it's no fun.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:56 PM

massage, heat & rest would be my reccomendations too. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm having a lot of low-back cramping with my prelabor contractions and I'm LOVING the electric heating pad for that.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A nice hot bath with epsom salts would be lovely I bet!

I would really recommend this product for the dip in the bed: http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Produc...7994660&sr=8-2

Its a inflatable dealie that goes under the mattress... we have the king size (one for each side) and it REALLY makes a difference. I was having to sleep upside down on the bed due to pain from the dip, and once we got these it totally fixed the problem.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 AM

I can all but guarantee that it's SI joint issues, especially with it being your 5th baby. Your pelvis can get more and more out of whack and gets looser and looser under the effects of relaxin with each subsequent pg. My symptoms were the same as yours, except it all started at like 12 weeks. I couldn't put my pants on without sitting down or else I was in tears.

A chiro is really what you need to fix the problem permanently, but I totally get not being able to commit to that just yet. But you really might consider it after the birth, I think some of my problems are things that already existed pre-this pg so if you are thinking of having more babies it will help you avoid it next time.

But, short of that, you can try extra magnesium as it will help muscle contractility, ice (no hot compresses, too close to baby). Do things that encourage pelvic stability and keeping it in line...no crossing your legs (can any of us even do that anymore? ), no yoga twists, etc. There's a stretch that works specifically on the joint, if you sit up straight in a chair and then gently pull the opposite knee toward your armpit you should feel it. Do it on both sides even if only one side is affected to keep it even. You can also do it lying down. There's a belt my chiro gave me to wear that kind of hugs the pelvis in. Not sure if you can get those elsewhere. You can take homeopathic arnica, and use Traumeel homeopathic ointment topically. Don't worry that you don't take meds...I do (tylenol), and it didn't help. Sitting on a birth ball kind of naturally helps things fall back into line and it helped when mine was at its worst.

I think that's everything...google "sacro iliac joint pain pregnancy" or something like that and you'll find all kinds of stuff. I literally feel your pain as mine was SO BAD before. With chiropractic care it's really been totally manageable the last half of my pregnancy and I barely notice it. But I was actually limping for awhile and was terrified my kids were going to run off and I wouldn't be able to chase them. It was bad enough to put me in tears, so I know what you're going through. My midwife also mentioned that her clients who've had this issue at delivery end up in some weird pushing positions just because it's trickier to find something that's comfortable. One even chose like a straight up lithotomy with knees back and everything. Just a tidbit for you!

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

User Tag List