Mothering Forum banner

what food/snacks are you bringing to the hospital?

897 views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  AmieV 
#1 ·
I am going to be having a baby with a midwife in a birthing center attached to a hospital and am going to be able to eat and drink as needed/desired during and after labor.

I am looking for some suggestions on what to bring. What are you bringing to the hospital/birthing center as snacks/drinks/food? Especially for you experienced mamas, what did you have or wish you had when you delivered?

We will have access to a microwave but not a refrigerator (although we might bring a cooler and I think that the room and car will be cool enough to keep things cool for awhile).

#2 ·
Ooh, very interested in the responses to this one. I'm curious too. I've bought some crackers and some Nutri-Grain bars, but those both seem a bit junk-foody to me (even though I love both!). I'm also going to bring bottles of water. I feel like I should have some healthy snacks, but the idea of doing something like chopping up carrots when I could potentially still have another 3.5 weeks to go... well, it seems like a waste. Would I even fancy a carrot during labour anyway?

Very interested in hearing what other mums have to say.

#3 ·
When I was laboring with DD, I craved chicken broth of all things. So this time, I have some organic chicken broth ready to go. And V8 Fusion for all the vitamins. But I need more ideas!

#4 ·
Ooh, good thought. I'll be at a hospital so you would think "don't need to pack food, won't get to eat it during labor, won't need it afterward" but DS was born right after the cafeteria closed (different hospital) and DH had to run out for Wendy's (before I caught and ate the slowest-moving nurse.) Maybe I should pack something in case

#5 ·
Bring whatever snacks you really like for after. But for during, very small things you can have just a nibble of and things that are liquid or almost liquid are the best usually.

Juice boxes, chicken broth if you can warm it, pudding snacks, yogurt, small crackers of some kind, maybe little cheese cubes or cut up fruit if you have a fridge.

For after bring something high protein that you just love.

#6 ·
I just made some ice cubes out of RRL tea strong brew, we are also bringing honey sticks incase I need a sugar boost and OJ for afterward.

Our hospital is located in the middle of fantastic restaurant heaven and their cafeteria is open 24hours, so I figure we will order in from one of those two options after the birth. Although I might put together some PB and J's for the bag on the day just in case.

#7 ·
Ugh I could not eat during labor at all, although if I had had popsicles I bet I could have. That's what I will bring next time. I think eating small things is a great idea, though, if you can b/c you will have energy to P U S H

#8 ·
I am not planning on bringing anything, but some money for DH and the vending machine. I'm planning on laboring at home has long has possible and honestly last time by time I got to the hospital eating was the last thing on my mind. Plus transition made me nausaus. After delviery my DH will go out and get my my traditional turkey sandwhich with everything on it

#9 ·
I'm going to empty my doula bag of all the high protein bars/honey sticks/tea that I usually pack for everyone else's birth.

Beyond that all I can think of is miso soup and fruit popsicles. I remember a hella good mango popsicle from my last labor, but generally my active labors have gone so fast I haven't had much time to munch! I'm headed to Whole Foods today for Recharge so I'll have to see what looks good.

#10 ·
I'm going to bring goldfish crackers and water. They supposedly provide jello, juice, and broth. The hospital says no solid food, but I ate crackers last time while in early labor...

#12 ·
The hospital I went to with DS provided pretty decent food on the L&D floor for moms and support people. For the last two years, I thought I'd eaten a couple turkey sandwiches after DS was born, but I found out when my doula came for a prenatal visit a couple weeks ago that I actually ate a couple DURING labor. I could have sworn it was only afterwards, but both my doula and my DH said I ate them during labor. I just remember they were good! I think I ate more in three hours after DS was born than I did in three days after DD was born.

I am planning a homebirth this time, but I do have a small hospital bag packed just in case. I have some Twizzlers (I've had these during my other two labors as well so it's a tradition for me), protein bars, crackers and water packed.

#13 ·
I didn't eat much once I hit active labor. I had a sandwich from the hospital cafeteria. I'm planning to stay home longer this time, so I'm not going to take anything. I know they have graham crackers and jello and juice in L&D. I doubt they'd give them to me. But my dh or doula can run and get me something and say it's theirs. That's what we did last time. My midwife caugt me munching a few times, but didn't say anything. I think she wanted me to eat, but couldn't say it because it was hospital policy. I'm hoping to not be there long enough or early enough in laobr to want to eat.

#14 ·
I'm keeping oranges and grapes in our fridge at all times these days to grab for the hospital bag. We eat them all the time normally, so as long as I have a good stash on D-day then I'm ok.

I also have a bag of nuts, some cereal bars, Emergen-C, and popcorn (more for dh) packed.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Really you ate turkey sandwiches DURING labor? I'm in awe. I couldn't really eat anything once it began...though sipping things was ok. I'm just imagining this woman sitting on a birth ball taking big chomps between contractions and its an amazing image

lol, oh, yeah? I ate cheeseburgers. Yes, plural--one at the beginning and one after about 15, 16 hours. I only had to eat about once every 8 hours, though. Jello was the last thing I ate and I was glad for it--it was really easy to throw up when I hit transition.

I'm staying home through labor this time, so I'll just be eating whatever we have around the house that looks good.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Really you ate turkey sandwiches DURING labor? I'm in awe. I couldn't really eat anything once it began...though sipping things was ok. I'm just imagining this woman sitting on a birth ball taking big chomps between contractions and its an amazing image

I could have sworn that I ate the turkey sandwiches afterwards but both my doula and my DH both swear I ate at least one during labor. I did eat some Cocoa Pebbles during labor as well, but that was at home. The hospital I went to wasn't too strict about stuff like that and the OB that I was going to may not have put in the order of no eating. I guess if I was eating an entire pizza someone may have said something, but I don't remember them saying anything to me. I do remember eating tons afterwards, but things that happened during labor are a blur. I guess I have to trust that my doula and DH are telling the truth on this one.

#19 ·
I also have to add that if you are one who throws up in labor, Gatorade is goo to have. Edpecially the pink kind. During a bout of the flu in October dh and I both noticed that the Gatorade came up without burning or really tasting nasty and we could still drink it right after throwing it up.

#20 ·
I'm smuggling in some food, whatever is laying around the house when we have to leave I guess. I can always have DH steal some food from the cart they offer to the partners and moms(after baby). I think I will invest in some V8 though. It's not like they have a luggage scanner at the hospital.

#21 ·
Mixture of half Smart Water/half Apple Juice
Instant Miso Soup packets
Honey Sticks

Eating a big, hearty meal in early labor is not a bad idea IMHO unless you have a history of fast labors. If things went super fast you'd probably see that meal again! This is my first babe, so if I'm in early labor and feel like it I'll try to eat something substantial.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I now have some apple juice, apple sauce, chicken broth, honey, almond milk, raisins. I am going to keep some yogurt and grapes in the fridge to bring and I am sure DH will make some peanut butter sandwiches if there is time (he goes everywhere prepared with peanut butter sandwiches).

#25 ·
I have to laugh because of hearing about the turkey sandwiches. I am sure some hospitals have much better ones than ours...but where I work, the mamas are always SO famished after the birth that the godawful turkey sandwiches we give them seem amazing. They always go on and on about how good they are and I am laughing inside because they just look so bad.

But I get it, because I still remember VIVIDLY how fabulous the Denny's pancakes DH brought me tasted after DD1's birth.

The frozen pb&j is an awesome tip!! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.