underwear question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know after baby is born there is lochia and you have to wear big pads and all. I don't have a large supply of panties to begin with, and certainly not enough to have to be throwing them out because of stains. What would be best..should I just buy a large pack at Walmart of regular old granny panties? Or should I get some of those disposable undies, what are they, depends or something?? And use pads inside them, then I could just throw them out at the end of the day or something?
What do you plan on doing?
Thanks~
Julie

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#2 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM

I was going to do the depends route, but you have to buy a pretty big pack and I really only thought I would want them for a couple of days. Once I start going out in public, I don't really want to wear them. So I'm just going to wear my old ratty underwear with pads with wings and then maybe I'll splurge later for some nice new undies! Which I need anyway.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#3 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM

I'm wearing some old undies and for every pair that gets thrown out I'm treating myself to a nice new pair.

Between depends and a cheap pack from wal-mart I think I'd go with the cheap pack from wal-mart, at least you can wash those, once the depends are gone, they're gone.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#4 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You might want to get bikinis rather than granny panties (or some of both)- I personally found that, after giving birth, I didn't want anything that put pressure on my belly, but bikinis that fit UNDER the belly were a lot more comfortable.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 PM

I like the Fruit of the Loom Low Rise Briefs even for everyday use. They have more coverage than bikinis but are not granny panties. I figure I will use the ones I already have and buy more undies later one. However, with my other two kids, I wore the mesh undies and super sized pads at the hospital and regular undies/pads home and didn't really mess up the regular undies that much. By the time I left the hospital, the bleeding wasn't all that much heavier than a period for me.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#6 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 PM

I was going to do depends...but then a mama gave me a TON of PP pads from the hospital (we are having a HB) and think that will do w/ the old panties. Plus the cloth ones a friend is making me.

My only concern and reason tho for depends was leaking on my bed/couch/furniture afterwards which was a lot more expensive to replace and/or a pain to clean. I like that the depends will save me from all that. But then I don't want a huge pack w/ so many and want to create more waste.

I think i'll stick w/ the pads and hope for the best!
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM

I'm going the Depends route.

Just wanted to add, I plan to use any that I don't use postpartum for use at nighttime during my period, whenever it comes back.
#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
I'm wearing some old undies and for every pair that gets thrown out I'm treating myself to a nice new pair.
:

My current undies are all nearly destroyed from just washing them a gazillion times a week towards the end of this pregnancy anyhow. Pregnancy bladder and a cough just don't work well together.
#9 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 AM

I like to use the disposable underwear for the first several days (they are like a meshy nylony material and are oh so comfy) Then I will use my postpartum undies that I have saved from each birth. I found that I did not fit in maternity or my reg. size of underwear after the birth so I needed a bigger size and just saved them for after each birth. They work great. If they get too bad I could just toss them but haven't had to yet.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#10 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 AM

I used the hospital mesh undies for the first few days and after that even though I bled for 6 weeks I didn't need more than pads and regular underwear, I don't think I stained and ruined any underwear or if I did it wasn't more than a pair of them. If you have fancy undies you might want to buy a pack of cheapies or use depends the first few days. Only the first week was any heavier than a normal period.
#11 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 AM

I'm going to do Depends when I'm at home until I stop leaking so much. Then I'm just going to wear the panties I've been wearing, they are a Large and I'm usually a Medium, so I won't be wearing them for long, so I don't care if they get stained(they will be thrown away). Then DH said he's going to take me to Victoria's Secret when I get down to the size I want...EEEKK! YAY!
#12 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 AM

I wear old undies and don't bother with pads - I use the baby's disposable diapers instead. It's cheaper, and works fine. Less risk of stains as well, I think.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 AM

With this being the 4th I basically have some nasty ratty cotton bikini underpants saved for just this.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#14 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 AM

I was just thinking about this the other day when I was doing laundry. I washed a bunch of my panties, a lot of which have holes in them and are pretty ratty. I was going to throw them away, but then I thought- Postpartum panties!!! (I told DH that it was an industrious idea, but he didn't think anyone would buy old ratty panties. ) Now, I can use them a *tad* bit longer before I get rid of them.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#15 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 AM

I've got some ratty panties with holes I normally would have tossed months ago but have been saving for postpartum. It never occurred to me to use Depends, but the idea is oh-so-appealing! Still, I hate to contribute to a landfill (even though I use disposable pads).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page