Requesting Name Feedback - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if people remember, but we had a lot of drama about our baby's name. My partner and I wanted to name him after my partner's father who died (actually committed suicide) about 6 years ago. Both his mom and sister have really strong negative feelings about it and after much discussion we decided to honor those. I was really upset about it for a while, but I'm now at peace about it.

But it's meant that we've been up in the air about the name. The other name we've been calling him for months now is Teo (pronounced Tay-o). I love it in many ways and I like that it's unique. But perhaps too unique? My family doesn't love it and we've definitely had negative reactions. But nothing else has felt right. Except Dylan. That's our other more conventional top choice. We also like that b/c it's Irish (partner is Irish) and I like it because Dylan Thomas is my dad's favorite poet.

So, between those two, what do you think?
#2 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 PM

I like Dylan too. Also a Dylan Thomas fan, and it's just a great name. I used to live in Swansea, too, Thomas' hometown.
#3 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Not in you due date club but I know a Theo pronounced Tay-o. So while not common not weird either. If it feels right, use it.
#4 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 PM

I really like Teo too. And I would have guessed that's how it's pronounced. I really don't think it's too unique.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#5 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 PM

I love Dylan, but I have an ex named Dylan so it's always been out. But you have such great namesakes...Dylan Thomas, Bob Dylan (who actually chose his stage name from DT), etc. (don't forget 90210 ) It has a cool meaning too. I also tend to like more classic names so it's certainly more my style than Teo. http://www.behindthename.com/name/dylan

but Teo is perfectly nice too, and I don't think it would be ungodly confusing as far as pronunciation goes. I say you can't go wrong!

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#6 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

Bronxmom are you in the bronx? Because Teo is just not going to be particularly strange there, its the Italian and Spanish form of Theo.

Teodor/Teodoro/Teodosio/Teofilo/Matteo/Timoteo/Dante are all names that would work with Teo as a nickname if you want a fuller name for him. (I happen to love Teodor and Matteo) I am personally a fan of longer names but that doesn't mean there is anything really wrong with Teo as a stand alone. The Tee-o/Tay-o pronunciation divide is the only real issue I can see with it and I think Tay-o is one you are likely to get more often.

If you decide to go with Teo than a longer more substantial middle name gives him some choice to use both names professionally if he feels he needs more weight. So Teo Daniel if your family decided it was ok for it to be a middle name, or Teo Dylan if not, would be reasonable.

If you just aren't sure about Teo as a first name, Dylan is just fine as a first name and you could name him Dylan Teo and still call him Teo when you wanted to at home.

I'm rooting for Teodor Dylan or Matteo Dylan But seriously Teo Dylan or Dylan Teo are both completely fine solid interesting but not weird names.
#7 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Bronxmom are you in the bronx? Because Teo is just not going to be particularly strange there, its the Italian and Spanish form of Theo.

Teodor/Teodoro/Teodosio/Teofilo/Matteo/Timoteo/Dante are all names that would work with Teo as a nickname if you want a fuller name for him. (I happen to love Teodor and Matteo) I am personally a fan of longer names but that doesn't mean there is anything really wrong with Teo as a stand alone. The Tee-o/Tay-o pronunciation divide is the only real issue I can see with it and I think Tay-o is one you are likely to get more often.

If you decide to go with Teo than a longer more substantial middle name gives him some choice to use both names professionally if he feels he needs more weight. So Teo Daniel if your family decided it was ok for it to be a middle name, or Teo Dylan if not, would be reasonable.

If you just aren't sure about Teo as a first name, Dylan is just fine as a first name and you could name him Dylan Teo and still call him Teo when you wanted to at home.

I'm rooting for Teodor Dylan or Matteo Dylan But seriously Teo Dylan or Dylan Teo are both completely fine solid interesting but not weird names.
:
#8 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 01:08 AM

I was acquainted with a Teo in high school; he was a big, popular, Polynesian football player. I think it's a good name. I like Dylan too though.
#9 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 01:14 AM

Dylan Teo? Matteo is fairly known here, so it may be regionally fine or "too unique"... I like it.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#10 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM

I love Dylan

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#11 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM

I like Teo, and, although I've never heard it before, it doesn't seem too "strange" at all. The Matteo/Teo as a nn idea sounds good to me! Dylan, actually, seems a bit too common now.
#12 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 PM

I like both. Teo is really cute - different, but not weird. And I'd think Tay-o before Tee-o. Dylan is cute too. Go with either you feel best about. Your family will fall in love with him no matter what he's called, and soon the name will just BE him, so they'll be happy with the name too.
#13 of 13 Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry, I think folks will pronounce Teo like TEE-O.

Theo or Dylan is better.

If you really need the Teo make it the middle name or re-spell it so that folk's brains will say it right. Tayo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page