External version?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last two MW appts my baby girl was head down, high, but head down. Today MW discovered that she had turned about a quarter turn so her head is up near my hip. It's really not a position that I could even attempt a vaginal birth with. I am going to try some exercises to get her back down and then I see the other MW Saturday to check her position again and if she hasn't gone back down, we will try an external version either Monday or Tues. I was completely fine with that until the OB who will be doing the version came in to talk to me more and said that it would be done in L&D just in case the baby really does not tolerate it and we have to have an emergency C-section. I managed to not cry until I got home, got DS down for his nap and called DH to tell him about it.

I am trying to be positive. It's not that far that she needs to be turned and it's really only a small number of babies that don't tolerate the version, but I was hoping that this pregnancy and birth would be normal. I've been so worried about my blood pressure going up (it starting around this time with DS) and having to be induced again, but now if she doesn't turn it will be major surgery.

Please send baby turning vibes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 AM

Yikes! They really freaked you out. I know external version is risky, but honestly how high are the chances that you'd need an emergency c-section? That DR sounds kind of like a jerk to me, IMO. We had an external version with DS that went fine. And he was completely head up footling breech. So hopefully if you have one, it will be uneventful. :

Also... this LO shifted from head down to head in my hip last weekend. My MW advised that I spend the whole day Sunday on hands and knees, which I did. By afternoon/evening, she had shifted back to head down.

Here's what I did: lots of rocking (front to back) with my chest on my birth ball and my knees on the ground. I also did a lot of cat/cow pelvic tilts. And (this is the thing I think really did the trick), I took a couple deep breaths to really relax my uterus and let it hang totally away from my body. Then I swung my hips side to side vigorously - not in a crazy, dangerous way but enough to slosh her around in there. I did this off and on all day, and again the next morning before I got out of bed and saw my MW.

I think my LO has a lot of space to move around still (even though I'm due tomorrow) so I'll have to do hands and knees exercises until she's out to keep her in good position.

Sending many hugs and good vibes.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#3 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 AM

What about a chiropractic appointment with someone certified in Webster technique? Very good success rates with getting babies to turn. Just another thing to do.....

Also, do you have a birth ball to sit on? Remember to keep your knees below your hips any time you are sitting.

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 AM

If you have access to a pool, then try handstands in it. This is what did the trick for me. If baby has been high for a while, it sounds like he/she still has room to turn and may easily turn back down himself or be turned with the version. They are very safe; they do them in L&D as a back-up/safety precaution, but it should be fine. Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Popping in from "New Posts".....

I'm sending you some turning vibes!!! DS was breech until almost 39 weeks. Just relax, do some rocking, let your belly hang....all the good stuff that you already know.

Good thoughts....:

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#6 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSong View Post
What about a chiropractic appointment with someone certified in Webster technique? Very good success rates with getting babies to turn. Just another thing to do.....

Also, do you have a birth ball to sit on? Remember to keep your knees below your hips any time you are sitting.

Good luck!
YES! Please consider trying Webster technique. My baby was breech, the same position as yours just butt down. I had it done on Tues and Friday, and by Friday night she had flipped and stayed put.

Sorry that doc freaked you out...you should be totally fine (hugs)

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and support! I am less freaked out today. I know that there is a good chance the version will work without complications it's just hearing "emergency c-section" tends to put me in panic mode. I am doing what I can at home, including making sure any religious books in the house are standing up straight on the shelf as my MW's Orthodox patients swear works, and looking into a chiropractor for the Webster technique, in addition to the exercises.
Thanks again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page