What do you think your baby will look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious!

Do you have a clear idea in your head as to what the appearance of your babes will be like? Eyes, hair color, etc? And how big they will be? Whether they will look like you or their fathers? Or have you not thought about that?

With my first, I was in for a total surprise! I was expecting the LO to have dark features like me, but in fact she was blonde with blue eyes, and curly hair too! (which I don't have). I am really wondering if this one will be the same as my daughter, or perhaps totally different again! I have really no idea though.

And what are your expectations/guesses?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Thats funny! I have dark hair, skin, and eyes but my husband is blonde and has fair skin. I really want her to look like me. There are 3 little girls in my in-laws family and they're all fair haired so I want my LO to be darker. I read somewhere that first children tend to resemble their fathers though so who knows! She'll probably be in between. But I always tell my DH, I hope she has my legs and your butt!! He's got a great booty!!

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
Thats funny! I have dark hair, skin, and eyes but my husband is blonde and has fair skin. I really want her to look like me. There are 3 little girls in my in-laws family and they're all fair haired so I want my LO to be darker. I read somewhere that first children tend to resemble their fathers though so who knows! She'll probably be in between. But I always tell my DH, I hope she has my legs and your butt!! He's got a great booty!!
Yeah, I wanted her to look like me too... We are worlds apart and she's really gorgeous though. But I would appreciate it if this one could look at least a bit like me

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:29 AM

I am hoping for the baby to get my auburn hair. Red hair does run on both sides of the family. Both me and my sister have it, and both DH's sister and brother have it.

My Mom thinks baby will get my auburn hair with DH's brown eyes. I hope she gets DH's eyelashes! They are beautiful and long and thick! DSD has them and she has the most gorgeous eyes.

Other than that... no ideas really. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM

I keep imagining the baby with lots of dark brown, straight hair. This is what DF's hair is like, and it was that way when he was born, too, although it turned dark blonde soon after and stayed that way for years. I have curly blonde hair. My daughters all look quite a bit like me (especially the youngest), so I really hope this baby will look more like DF, and especially, will have his eyes - dark brown and somewhat almond-shaped, with long lashes - really pretty. :
I'll be very surprised if s/he weighs less than 9lbs or is less than 21" long.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM

I am guessing that this one will look exactly like the last 3
Long dark hair (which turns bleach blond about 3 months), long eyelashes, blue eyes, average height and thin, and w/ a penis (but we'll see about that)

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM

I'm expecting this one to be a little rounder and bulkier than his brothers with bigger cheeks (from the ultrasound pix and the roundness of him in my tummy) otherwise I think he will look rather similar to the other two who looked very similiar though not exactly the same at birth, but for some reason I keep picturing him as a little darker. My first was blonde at birth, my second had medium dark hair which immediately fell out and turned strawberry blond (and has now darkened to a color right between brown and auburn) and steel grey eyes that stayed that way for longer than newborn eyes usually do but eventually turned very very dark brown. For some reason I think this baby will have dark hair which stays dark, but possibly lighter eyes. We'll see.

I was blonde til I was 5, my husband had dark hair from the beginning, the other two boys looked more like their dad facially at birth, now my son has started to look more like a combo of me and his dad, or really he looks like a combo of my brother and his dad.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had a 32 week 3D ultrasound done, so we've got a bit of a clue of what her face looks like (a lot like Orion's but with super chubby cheeks). Hair color I have no clue, Orion's a little blondie that's slowly darkening, Matt's hair is dirty blonde (cept his goatee that's a bit red), his sister is a redhead, my hair is very very dark brown... so it's a total guess there!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

I would expect this babe to have dark hair and eyes since that's what DH and I have. But my dad is blond and blue eyed and my MIL is blond and green eyed. So we will see.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Well I have dark brown hair and green eyes, and he's part Filipino (part welsh, so he looks like a very hairy islander), so it would be expected that it'll have dark hair and dark eyes. He's hoping for green eyes, but we'll see.
The challenge comes in in the toddler years, all of my mother's children have blonde hair, crazy curly (except one with straight hair), and blue eyes. We change to green or hazel eyes and brown hair between the ages of 5 and 12.
DF's half brother (on the Filipino side) is 6 and has blonde hair, but kind of dark skin and brown eyes. So this one could be a blonde child who later turns, or it could appear dark from the beginning.
It's all very interesting.
I'm just hoping it's not born with cataracts - his father and brother and one of his grandparents were all born with them.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM

we both have medium brown hair but were blonde as children, have blue eyes, so i expect this one to follow that route! i pray that she has DH's eyelashes, which are the most gorgeous things. from the US we know that she has full lips (from me, not him!) and a cute little nose (me)... did i mention that i'm also a clone of my mom? my baby should be quite large but not long.

i am expecting my baby to be bald. i just have this idea that she has no hair!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM

I love thinking about this! There is a huge chance that she will have dark eyes, I'm hoping she gets DH's darkness. My eyes are hazel, but DH's are a deep deep chocolate brown, same as both his parent's and my mom's. So there won't be any chromosomes with lighter coloring from his side unless from a couple generations out.... and there is a chance that she'll have either my blonde hair from birth that will darken, or born with DH's dark dark hair (same as my mom). Other than that, we'll see....but I can't wait to see her!!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

I expect this one to look like all of the others. Cute as a button and big and healthy. The only question is how much hair and what color. It would be nice if I had a brown eyed baby but I am not holding my breath. All of my girls have beautiful blue eyes like their daddy.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

I guess the LO will have dark brown or black curly hair since both DH and I have it with blue eyes. I really have no idea what to expect; my husband's family has so much variety yet they all look alike! My family has all dark features except for my mother so I would assume that that would trump any fair features but I imagine we will be in for a surprise.

Wife to a wonderful husband and mother to DS. Expecting LO (April 17, 2009)
Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Dh and I make an interesting genetic mix, so this one should also be interesting...DH's dad is from Guam, so completely islander in appearance, while his mom is Irish and Austrian. DH is dark haired, dark eyed, and darker skinned, but his mom has light eyes.

I am German/Irish/Scottish/English/French, and have dark blond hair and blue eyes. I started out very blond as a child and it darkened as I got older. Also, my hair, along with most of my family, is very curly.

DS started out looking JUST like DH except with blue eyes, but his hair got lighter and curlier as he got older and his eyes turned green. His skin is a mix between mine (very fair) and DH (dark) and he tans in one split second, even with 50 SPF on.

I am picturing (hoping!) DD to have dark curly hair, but with light eyes- either green or my blue. Skin tone- either way...maybe like DS.

I am looking SO forward to finding out for sure!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 AM

I have NO CLUE what my baby is going to look like. I'm African American with lots of different "other" genes floating around and DH is white of complete Eastern European descent (Polish, Hungarian, Croatian). So neither of us has a clue what to expect from this very interesting mixture. My mother is really the AA and my father is from Nigeria, but also has some Arabic in his background as well so it's just such a toss up. I have a friend who is AA with a white husband and two very non-black looking kids. Her girl is a redhead! So there is no guarantee of what we're going to end up with. All I know is that the baby will be super cute because s/he is mine.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 AM

Both my boys have big brown eyes with long eyelashes, DS#1 has dark brown hair (JUST like mine, fine and lots of it) and DS#2 has lighter colored hair. DS#2 is a little miniature of his Daddy. I wouldn't mind having a green-eyed baby this time around, like me.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kJad29 View Post
I have a friend who is AA with a white husband and two very non-black looking kids. Her girl is a redhead! So there is no guarantee of what we're going to end up with.
Yeah, I know a mixed race couple with two kids that are blonde and fair skinned too - their third is black though.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Yeah, I know a mixed race couple with two kids that are blonde and fair skinned too - their third is black though.
That is so interesting! I read a while back about twins who were born to a white dad and AA woman and one was fair and one was dark! Very cool.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM

I am also in a mixed-race couple, and we don't know the sex of the baby, making it a little more difficult to visualize what the baby is going to look like.

DH is Indian and I am white, with fairly dark hair and eyes - so I expect the baby will be dark. However, I have had two strange dreams recently in which the baby was a blond-haired blue-eyed boy (other than this dream, I have been convinced that the baby is going to be a girl). In both dreams I was really surprised, thinking "how did this happen?"

I have also had a persistent cough during this pregnancy, which my Indian MIL says means the baby is going to be born hairy!! So that will be interesting.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM

I think he'll have dark hair and I'm HOPING and praying that he'll have his dads baby blue eyes. DD thinks that he will look just like her....which is histerical bc she has a diff dad. LMBO! I think he will be spitting image of DH. Which is FINE by me... "hey there good looking...."
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM

I really hope he looks like me. We used a known donor to conceive Squeak and although our arrangement is exactly what we wanted, I don't want the babe to look like him. I just don't want a constant reminder of this 'other' person who is not DP or I. Perhaps that sounds weird but it's actually starting to freak me out a lot.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM

I'm really excited to see my baby, I have no idea what he'll look like. I think he'll be long/tall like DH instead of short & round like me (based on what he feels like in my belly) but otherwise it's all questionable. DH was born with a small amount of light hair, which eventually darkened to mid-brown, and he has blue/grey eyes. (He insists they are green but they aren't, LOL.) I was born with lots of black hair which then fell out and came back blond curls, but my hair darkened to chestnut brown by my teens. I have brown/hazel eyes - and as someone else said, I'm pretty much a clone of my mother.

Interestingly, the only dream I've had where I saw my baby during this pregnancy he looked just like my little brother did, which is to say bald as an egg with BIG brown eyes. So who knows!

One thing we will definately look for though is webbed toes, DH's second and third toes have skin connecting them almost the whole way. So it will be interesting to see if that little mutation comes through!
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
I read somewhere that first children tend to resemble their fathers though so who knows!
Don't be too sure of that! I was a first child (kinda, my older and younger brothers are both adopted) and my mom and I could be twins only we're 30 years apart in age! You literally can't tell me and my mom apart when you compare pictures of us at the same age! My older brother a few years ago was asking my mom about a picture and when it was taken of me and my mom couldn't convince him that it was her in the picture!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
Don't be too sure of that! I was a first child (kinda, my older and younger brothers are both adopted) and my mom and I could be twins only we're 30 years apart in age! You literally can't tell me and my mom apart when you compare pictures of us at the same age! My older brother a few years ago was asking my mom about a picture and when it was taken of me and my mom couldn't convince him that it was her in the picture!
That's hilarious!!! There's seven kids in my family and we all somewhat resemble both of my parents except for the 3rd child, girl, she looks just like my mom! Childhood pics are identical too.
I read somewhere that first borns tend to look like their fathers and I thought it was interesting because my SIL just had a little girl and she is the spitting image of her dad! They even make the same scowling faces, too funny!
I just want to see her and I cannot wait to see who she looks like!!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
That's too funny! I thought DD looked like me a lot, so one day, while we were at my MILs visiting, I took a picture of me and a picture of DD at roughly the same age, and asked her which one was DD and which one was me. She thought the one of me was DD, and vice versa. :P Now we get mixed votes though, as DH and I look *really* similiar. (So much people think he's my dad/brother.)

I think LO will have dark hair at first, maybe even black. Blue eyes, hopefully like DH's. I think he will be on the longer/taller side, and bigger, maybe 8-ish pounds (wait, is that on the bigger side? DD was a month early, and was 5lbs12oz, so 8 looks/sounds huge to me...) I think/hope he'll have DH's eye brows and eyelashes. Definately not my eyebrows. You can't really see them

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 AM

We found some pictures of my mom at my DD's age, and it's uncanny. I knew DD looked like me, but it was kinda eery to see how similar all 3 of us are! DD2 thought that pictures of me at DD1 age are her, not me - DD2 looks similar, but not as close.
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 12-07-2008, 02:49 AM

I really thought my daughter would look like me, but she is a REALLY good mix of both of us. DH has pretty brown curly hair and greenish brown eyes. I have straight black hair and brown eyes. DD was born with brown curly hair and green eyes. Her eyes have changed to brown now.

She looks like both of us. We find it enchanting.

I'm kinda hoping this one looks more like me though. Maybe some straight black hair, please, because I don't know what to do with curly hair and DH is no help!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
That's too funny! I thought DD looked like me a lot, so one day, while we were at my MILs visiting, I took a picture of me and a picture of DD at roughly the same age, and asked her which one was DD and which one was me. She thought the one of me was DD, and vice versa. :P Now we get mixed votes though, as DH and I look *really* similiar. (So much people think he's my dad/brother.)
I did that too one time! My MIL was driving me nuts saying how much DS looked like DP so I found this pic of me when I was DS's age and he looked EXACTLY like me. I was showing MIL the pic and she thought it was DS. I said, no that it was me. She was shocked! Now DS just looks like a combo of the both of us.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

User Tag List