Any Mothers Still Nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder how many of us are left. I hoped dd would self-wean, but she didn't so I guess I'm gonna be a tandem-feeder.

Did anyone manage to keep milk up to the last?
#2 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Hi, Lori!

Jake is still nursing now and again, I think he's likely getting a bit of colostrum now, no it looks like I may end up tandem nursing, too. I think it's going to help with engorgement, tho!
#3 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Since Zephan was born prematurely a few weeks ago, I've been producing a lot more milk than he needs. We weaned our son Micah (21 months) when I found out I was pregnant last spring, but now we're giving him breastmilk again. Not straight from the tap as he's not interested in it that way, but he's pretty happy to drink mommy's milk in his kleen kanteen.

He's small for his age and we want to do everything we can to support his immune system this winter to help keep his baby brother healthy, so I figure giving him breastmilk is great!

We had to wean when I found out I was pregnant because I have had difficult pregnancies, but I'm thrilled to let him have more of the benefits of breastmilk now.
#4 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM

my 26 mos old son is still nursing...Now that we're out of the preterm area I can go back to nursing him whenever he wants instead of only limiting it to times I wasn't having contractions. Which makes him a very happy boy.
#5 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrinton View Post
Since Zephan was born prematurely a few weeks ago, I've been producing a lot more milk than he needs. We weaned our son Micah (21 months) when I found out I was pregnant last spring, but now we're giving him breastmilk again. Not straight from the tap as he's not interested in it that way, but he's pretty happy to drink mommy's milk in his kleen kanteen.

He's small for his age and we want to do everything we can to support his immune system this winter to help keep his baby brother healthy, so I figure giving him breastmilk is great!

We had to wean when I found out I was pregnant because I have had difficult pregnancies, but I'm thrilled to let him have more of the benefits of breastmilk now.
I just wanted to say that I love your son's name. How did you choose it?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#6 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 04:36 PM

My just turned two-year-old is still nursing about 3-4 times a day during the week and 1-2x on the weekend when DH is around to distract him. I'm not sure how much he is actually getting since I haven't been leaking and I can't hand express anything, but he seems pretty content with it. I do have nipple pain sometimes, but I am hoping that will get better once the baby is here and the pregnancy hormones are gone.
#7 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM

19 month old DD still nursing. I fully intend to tandem.
#8 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrinton View Post

Dropping in from Jan, but I feel so great reading your post. I weaned my now-20 month old during my 8th month of this pregnancy due to intolerable nursing agitation that made me feel violent toward him I have been sad about it, but not he doesn't seem interested at this point, even when looking at books about babies that show nursing and even though I offered it again a few times this week (he's had a virus) He is also small and has been sick twice since I weaned (so talk about feeling mega guilty!)

But I also feel relieved to have a short break from nursing, and a bit relieved that I won't be tandem nursing, as horrible as that makes me sound. I always said before that if he wanted to nurse after the baby was born, I would let him, but honestly, now that we've had this break for a couple of months, I don't know if I can go back to nursing him. Again, please don't flame me, I'm just being honest about where I'm at right now with my feelings about it. Maybe I will feel differently after the birth.

But why didn't I think of giving him my milk in a sippy! Duh--it seems so obvious! I already can hand express quite a bit of colostrum, and I'm sure when baby arrives I will have more than I can handle (I'm a bit of an overproducer) That is an awesome idea. At least I can give him some of the benefits of my milk even if he won't latch on. Thanks!
#9 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Zephan's full name is Zephaniah. We picked Zephaniah because it means "God has hidden" or "Protected by God." I had a very complicated pregnancy and he was born so healthy, this felt perfect. Zephaniah is a book in the Old Testament of the Bible. There was also a Zephan who was a Celtic saint around the time of St Patrick.
#10 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM

My toddler won't nurse, but still demands to see/touch the boobies in the morning. On Sunday she latched for about 30 seconds, but then popped off and announced, "Dere's no milky!" I think she just doesn't like colostrum much. She'll probably go right back to nursing when my milk comes in. Her big brother was down to nursing less than once a week by this point, but he still nursed for quite a while after she was born. I'm guessing Lydia will be one of those rare people who's had two tandem-nursing relationships.
#11 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 PM

DS weaned a few months ago, but I suspect he is going to want to attempt nursing again when the baby comes. The latest "New Beginnings" LLL magazine came the other day with a photo of a nursing newborn on the front. We had a conversation about it which ended in him asking to "eat" my "nay nays". I told him the milk was gone right now and he was not happy with that answer at first.

I give the tandem mamas lots of love and respect. I would have totally done it if he hadn't self weaned. I never expected it to be something I'd be willing to or want to do.
#12 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
SND

Still nursing here (and my kiddo just had his 4th birthday ) Mostly it's a transition to and from sleep for us.

I've been able to squeeze out drops of either milk or colostrum throughout, but there's been a bit more the past couple of weeks. We'll both be SOOOOOO glad when there's milk again!

It's been kind of irritating, but he's been pretty respectful of when I just can't take the sensation anymore, and need a few minutes to recenter.

I'm just a little nervous about how we're all going to be able to sleep once the baby comes. It's a good thing that my breasts are stretchy, so I think I'll be able to have one kiddo on either side, nursing away while we all, hopefully, fall asleep
#13 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DD will be 3 next week. She is upstairs screaming for milk right now (just woke up). I assumed she would wean by now. I'm trying to get her to cut down to 2-3 times a day. I'm sure after the baby comes she will want it non-stop.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#14 of 20 Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Still nursing here (almost 3 DD). And planning to tandem if she wants to. It drives me nuts, personally, but I swore I wanted her to self-wean and it's still the plan.
#15 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 AM

Kind of. DS (will be 3 in Feb) stopped for several weeks, but now asks again every once in a while. Sometimes he'll ask several times in one week. Sometimes he'll go a week or maybe even two without. Honestly, he doesn't even really nurse, just kind of puts his lips on my nipple, then asks to switch sides and does the same on the other. But one of the things that tends to inspire asking, is seeing someone else nursing! Oh man. I'm not really thrilled about the thought of tandeming. I've done it before, for quite a long period of time, but it really wore me out. And I ended up feeling a lot of resentment towards my older nursling. I strongly suspect that once the baby is here and nursing all the time, that he's going to be wanting to all the time too. I don't want to take it away from him now, but I also don't really want to be in that position again. I'm just hoping that it all magically works out somehow...either it ends up not bothering me this time or he's truly not interested.
#16 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM

Yup. DS#2 (22 months) is still nursing a 2-3X a day. I'm looking forward to not experiencing engorgement this time around!
#17 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 02:10 AM

Still nursing here. i have been nursing strait for 6.5 years. I am nursing ds3 who just turned 2 on tues and this will be my 3rd time tandeming. I have had milk of some kind throughout my whole pg it has turned to colostrum now but he doesn't seem to care either way. He is probably nursing 4-5 long times a day w/ anywhere from 3 plus quick sips (could be 20, etc.)
I have enjoyed my tandem nursing experiences and am looking forward to doing it again. I nursed both ds1 and ds2 at the same time around the clock for the first 5 months then wised up and set some limits. It felt extremely uncomfortable to nurse ds 2 and ds3 at the same time but I still did plenty of nursing but started setting limits around 6-8 wks and that was much more manageable.
We will see how things go this time but I really feel that it helps the older child to bond w/ their sibling, learn to share w/out feeling left out, etc.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#18 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 AM

Yes, my 25 month old is still nursing frequently. My supply is pretty good--I could probably pump some if I had a decent pump my breasts would respond to. I can and do squirt her for fun It's sore, but the biggest problem is that it's starting to cause a lot of contractions, which is new. I've been having BH for several weeks, but this is the first time nursing has started causing contractions regularly.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#19 of 20 Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Nursing starts up my contractions too, but they die away when we are done. I kinda wish they would kick start them better!
#20 of 20 Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlori View Post
Nursing starts up my contractions too, but they die away when we are done. I kinda wish they would kick start them better!
I'm definitely using it starting next week, but I have one more week to go for safety Although it is freaking UNCOMFORTABLE to nurse through a contraction!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page