Yeast Infection When You Go Into Labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you go into labor, and have a yeast infection, is there anything you/your HCP would need to do? I've had one for what seems like eternity, I've tried Monistat 7 day cream a couple of times, a one-time pill (both prescribed by my OB), yogurt, eating yogurt, not eating a bunch of sugars, everything I've read that can help, and everything I can think of that *might* help, and it's not going away. It *is* a yeast infection, my OB has tested every time. I'm going to get some more Monistat next week, and DH is going to use it as well (I think he gave it back to me the one time I got rid of it...) but who knows if LO will stay put that long. I think I heard that you have to be on antibiotics? Does anyone know?

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 PM

ikes yeast infections are the worst! Have you tried inserting raw garlic in the vagina overnight? If you haven't broken your bag of waters and your mucus plug is intact I'd sa give that a swing. Garlic is a very powerful anti-fungal and works for me everytime! Also I would do everything possible to get rid of it, if ou go into labor with an active yeast infection you can pass it on to babe and you both could get into a nast cycle of thrush (if ou plan to BF) it totally sucks and is super hard to get rid of! I wish you tons of luck girl!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I think I have one too, waiting for it to be cultured though because I don't have symptoms so we want to make sure waht it is, I'll let you know what my midwife recommends.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM

There is normally no prophylactic treatment if you have a yeast infection in labor. Baby has a chance of developing thrush but if you were to go on antibiotics that would increase that risk.

I use probiotic capsules (buy at hfs) and insert them vaginally. It might not cure it but it would really help to lessen the imbalance and reduce the amount of candida the baby is exposed to when coming through the birth canal. You can also buy the probiotic powder and make a paste like douche.

Dd got thrush and it sucks so hopefully you're babe will do just fine!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Sigh, I have to have antibiotics at birth, so even if I get rid of it its probably going to come back. Bleh.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 PM

tea tree oil suppositories got rid of mine
Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmamaof1 View Post
Have you tried inserting raw garlic in the vagina overnight? If you haven't broken your bag of waters and your mucus plug is intact I'd sa give that a swing. Garlic is a very powerful anti-fungal and works for me everytime!
How much garlic, and how do I get it out in the morning? : I know I don't know a lot, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM

I don't know the answer to that either

I got a yeast infection a week after giving birth--not fun! I hope you are able to get rid of yours.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM

I do the external/internal treatment.

I do three overnights with a clove inserted (to kill the yeast) then two days with plain yogurt inserted to repopulate the area (which is btw very soothing!).

The whole time I do the large doses (I think mine is 5 mil) of the probiotics they sell in the refrigerated section of the health food store.

In fact, I just had one last week, and it's gone from this. Though I have decided to continue the probiotics the rest of the pregnancy. I had taken them early on every day, then slacked off. Then stress and thanksgiving happened and got yeasty again!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I do the external/internal treatment.

I do three overnights with a clove inserted (to kill the yeast) then two days with plain yogurt inserted to repopulate the area (which is btw very soothing!).

The whole time I do the large doses (I think mine is 5 mil) of the probiotics they sell in the refrigerated section of the health food store.

In fact, I just had one last week, and it's gone from this. Though I have decided to continue the probiotics the rest of the pregnancy. I had taken them early on every day, then slacked off. Then stress and thanksgiving happened and got yeasty again!
What are probiotics? Can you buy them at a regular store like Kroger or Wal-Mart, or do they only sell them at health food stores?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 AM

Wal-mart might have them. Kroger probably not but ask. GNC or other vitamin store might also have them.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Okay...you all know what I'm gonna say..but here goes.

ACV also works to get rid of yeast infections! I have never had one so I have not used it but have read of the benefits of it for yeast infections. From what I hear, douche with it (a few tablespoons w/ water) and you can also take a bath in ACV diluted w/ bath water.

Here is a link. Scroll down to read the ACV remarks. I hear it burns but it rids tons of yeast from your vagina while you douche and really works! If you want to try and are willing, I'd go for it. I'd also try the garlic method after for good measure.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon

eta: remember to buy the organic unfiltered ACV if you are going to use ACV at all. A brand like Braggs, my fav, is best. Not the junk like Heinz at the regular store. Go to your natty food store and you'll be able to get it for sure.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 AM

Definitely have your dh get treated too. I'm really prone to yeast infections and once we started treating dh along with me, they cleared up much faster and weren't as recurring.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Umm Shelby, I've been on pelvic rest all pregnancy my husband isn't giving me anything Of course Bmcneal's maybe needs the advice
Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbyscout View Post
Definitely have your dh get treated too. I'm really prone to yeast infections and once we started treating dh along with me, they cleared up much faster and weren't as recurring.
Don't want to elaborate on this one, but a friend has this issue with her DH. She says he 'slathers his junk in plain yogurt' to get rid of it.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
What are probiotics? Can you buy them at a regular store like Kroger or Wal-Mart, or do they only sell them at health food stores?
I think you're going to have better luck with a vitamin store/health food store.

My FIL has told me they have recently started stocking them at the drug store he works at, so you may have some luck there.

Though, you will find the highest potency and most effective ones in the refrigerator at the health food store. The 'shelf' stable ones are not as potent.

User Tag List