Do you want a holiday baby? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you like your baby to have a holiday birthday
Yes! I would love for my baby to have a holiday birthday 3 6.38%
No! I would really prefer that my baby be born on a day that isn't a holiday 29 61.70%
Maybe! Some of the holidays would be fun, but other's I'd rather not deal with. 6 12.77%
Obligatory other or check this if you just totally don't care. 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of us who are patiently (or not so patiently) waiting. I'm curious.

Are there those who would prefer (all things being equal) a holiday birthday for their child? Or would you really prefer a different day?

Obviously there is more than one holiday this time of year...Solstice, Hannukah, Christmas...and Christmas eve, boxing day...even new years.

I'm going to keep the poll options simple, either yes to any holiday, no to any holiday, yes to some and not others (post in thread which ones if you want) or of course the obligatory other or "don't care"

Bear with me because this is the first poll I ever posted here I think! Ack, please ignore random apostrophization in poll. I hate when I do that!
#2 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 PM

If he was going to be born outside of the school term (summer break starts around Dec 19th here) then I'd prefer he were born on xmas day. My theory is that once you get to the week prior to xmas everything goes crazy and birthdays are more likely to get forgotten...but if birthday is on xmas day, then people will remember because it's a bit special.

I'd prefer though that he were born during the school term so that his friends aren't away or unavailable to celebrate with him. Plus, I really want a Sagittarius, not a Capricorn which he would be were he born at xmas!

Hence, I ticked other!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#3 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM

I actually already have a winter solstice baby....LOL.

This one is due after she was, the 26th...BUT if it comes a little early who knows!

I wouldn't mind a Christmas baby!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM

I never wanted a Christmas baby and still don't- meaning I want the baby but not being born so close to Christmas. I'm 38 weeks today and would really be happy with him being born within the week. My edd is the 23rd and that is just too close for my comfort. But the way I have been feeling contractions on and off all day, I could be going soon and that would make me so happy. (But I DO NOT want him born on the 11th either as that is UAV MIL birthday.) I want them to have a special birthday not lumped together with another holiday. So I put some holidays are ok but not this one.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#5 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 PM

I recall that I used to have opinions but considering that this one was supposed to be a June baby, I'll take whatever I can get.
#6 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 PM

I keep going back and forth on this. There are days that I would like the baby to be born on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Then, there are other days that I think it would be horrible to have your birthday overshadowed by those events. My EDD is the 24th so it is very possible to have this little one on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. I have come to the conclusion that I don't care when my baby's birthday is as long as she is healthy and everything goes smoothly.
#7 of 23 Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
If he was going to be born outside of the school term (summer break starts around Dec 19th here) then I'd prefer he were born on xmas day. My theory is that once you get to the week prior to xmas everything goes crazy and birthdays are more likely to get forgotten...but if birthday is on xmas day, then people will remember because it's a bit special.
I feel this way also. My due date is somewhere between the 19th and 24th adn I figure if it is going to be that close to christmas people would be more likely to remember it and make a big deal about it if it is actually on christmas. Plus ds1 who is 6 wants the baby to be born on christmas bcs he thinks being able to share the birthday with jesus is the most special thing ever. I thought that was too cute.
Of course I will take the baby whenever it wants to be here. I just want a healthy little one in my arms.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#8 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM

I'd like babe born sooner and not on a holiday. But maybe Soltice..that would be okay. But I did vote no...b/c I would rather babe come way before holidays so she can have that as her day and celebrate and not get jumbled into a holiday (especially xmas eve, day).

We plan on moving away from family...far away...again. So in order to celebrate w/ friends and have her bday parties, etc I would hope for her birthday to be as far away from a holiday as possible
#9 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 AM

It's not that I don't CARE, it's that I just want him here NOW. lol I don't care what day, just as long as it's in DECEMBER. This weekend would be loverly 12/15/08 sounds very nice. This will be the 4th birthday for my side of the family. March must have been CHILLY...
#10 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 AM

I said No, but reading some of the responses I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal. From talking to my friends December birthdays suck no matter when they are, so maybe being on the actual holiday might be better.

My due date is 12/22, but I'm really shooting for 12/19 after my parents get here on the 18th.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#11 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 01:29 AM

As long as it gets here before my parents do, I'll take whatever, but I really really really don't want a baby on 24-25-26. Parents arrive on 28th. I don't need the stress of their negativity if the baby isn't born already. Mom is a MD, and she doesn't approve of home birth. Last week, my dad commented on the phone: "we were wondering if you were at the hospital having the baby" - I just let it go, but I couldn't figure out why he would say that! Our last baby was born at home - does he think I've changed my mind since then?

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#12 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 AM

I would really like this LO to be born as far away from Christmas as possible. Having a 23rd EDD doesn't help . My mom's birthday is the first week in January and she always felt supremely ripped off because people would give her combination gifts and her birthday was never special and always forgotten. She also felt like after Christmas, people are burned out on buying gifts, so she always got a lot of obviously re-gifted unwanted Christmas presents from other people. She deliberately had my brother and me in the summer (August and June, respectively) so that we wouldn't have to "share" our birthdays with anyone. Having a June birthday was also perfect because it was halfway through the year so I had something to look forward to every 6 months. When I found out I was pregnant and did the original math, I was actually very disappointed. The first thing dh said when I told him my calculated DD was "Oh no!!!" I just feel like what makes a birthday special is that it's your day and not anyone else's. So I think sharing a birthday with Christmas or Christmas Eve would kind of suck.

Watch me go into labor on the 24th .

Soon, baby! Soon! I'm getting my membranes stripped on Thursday so hopefully he'll be ready and that will encourage him to come on down .
#13 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 AM

It doesn't matter to me really but since I'm due like 2 days after Christmas, if he would arrive on Christmas or a few days before would be the best gift ever!

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#14 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Doesn't matter to me. I was joking with my daughter that it would be super cool for the baby to be born during the wee hours of the morning on Christmas so that we could put him/her under the tree for the kids to discover in the morning. :

This baby's birthday is 99% likely to come during the 2 week school break every year. I think that once they are in school, I will probalby do the "half birthday" celebration at the end of June - especially if it happens to be a Christmas Eve, Christmas or New Years baby.
#15 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM

The only reason I don't want a christmas eve baby would be beacuse that means I'd be 2 weeks past my due date. Today, which I don't think I can last that long, just waiting.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#16 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 PM

I checked some holidays but not all... Christmas is a no for me (unless he just insists ) DDs birthday is the 22nd, so I would rather it not be then. I always thought having a New Year's birthay would be neat... But DH not so much. It could go either way, I think, my EDD isn't until the 28th, so the first isn't such a stretch... Everyone is insisting I want him here on/before Christmas, because then "he's a deduction w/o the expense." I don't like thinking like that. Any day, I think, besides the 22nd, Christmas Eve/Christmas would be fine with me, as long as he's ready.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#17 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 PM

I voted no but mostly because that makes me 2 weeks late and I don't want to be 2 weeks late
#18 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM

well my baby has zero chance of coming on christmas (the other holidays are variable so any dec baby might celebrate during hanukah etc at some point!). but i am sure glad her birthday wasn't on pearl harbor day (my EDD). i have a friend with a christmas birthday and she hates it! she's also from a family with 8 kids so you can see how her birthday gets overshadowed. mine's in july - always a bummer because you could never have a proper party.

i am, however, excited about my new deduction. not only is she an additional deduction ($1000 depending on your income & tax liability), but kids born in 2008 qualify for the tax rebate we received early this year. you'll get it ($300) back after you file your returns. bonus! thanks baby! that 1300$ SO takes care of all of your expenses (HAHAHAHA!). sorry, i'm a lawyer, i can't help thinking like that.
#19 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Brandy you are too funny adding it up. But we do need it, its how we are paying for the Doula.
#20 of 23 Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM

hey, it's a serious chunk of change! get on those natural inductions early! (fat lot of good it's doing me...)
#21 of 23 Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 AM

It does seem callous to think of the baby as merely a tax deduction, but I would be lying if I said the money won't come in VERY handy .
#22 of 23 Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

I have gone back and forth with it for awhile. In some ways I feel everyone deserves their own special day far enough away from the holidays that they don't get the "double" gifts or whatever... But I think there are ways to still make it a totally special time... and I really love Christmas and the feel of the season, so much love! And when I think of my baby being a part of that magic... I get all choked up. lol

With an early January due date... I'm thinking she will be born close to holidays anyway. lol My MW really thinks she is coming in Dec and I really have my fingers crossed for it actually... even if that means it will be even closer to Christmas. Our own little Christmas miracle.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#23 of 23 Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM

I have a few dates I'm hoping to avoid. My due date is the 28th. I'm hoping to avoid the 23rd, 24th, 25th and 28th. My sister's preemie girl from back in 06 was due on the 23rd. She died on the 24th of December from SIDS. My nephew was born on the 25th and it's Christmas. And my little niece that died was buried on the 28th. So I'm kind of hoping to avoid all those lovely dates.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page