The Postpartum Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 127 Old 12-23-2008, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2wks pp today. Along w/ many of you, we have way more snow than usual. cool part is that DH hasn't had to go in to work since ds was born. bummer is that lots of cancelled appts and cabin fever. We had ped appt yesterday and ds gained 8 oz over birth weight. He checked out great and has grown longer, too.
still using nipple shields -afraid ds is hooked on thm but honestly not up to the effort to try anymore w/out them. Ihad 3rd degree tear an still very sore even w/ infltable donut. sitting hurts. Holly and others -Baths help a ton w/ epsom salts. If I go too long without a bath and sit too long-youch!
my 2 older ds are driving dh a bit nuts. too much energy and not enough outside time. It's cold out there. : Christmas is all up in the air with the weather so we may just celebrate without grandparents, etc and catch them later.
My mood is better today, thankfully. I do get tired from the pp pain including the sore nipples. I just try and breathe through the first 20 seconds of latching. DS is kind of wild during latch time, sometimes knocking off the shield or clawing me with his little hands and STRONG neck. I'm suprised he hasn't head butted me yet.
Glad to have a holiday time baby so I can just pretend I'm crazy busy with holiday stuff while truly I'm mostly in bed thinking of all that could be done but can wait. Cheers to taking it easy all you sweet pp moms. We need to give ourselves that gift for once.
HUGS!
#62 of 127 Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnm View Post
Holly and others -Baths help a ton w/ epsom salts.
Dang it! I just sent DH to the store to return a big unopened box of Epsom salts (was going to make some Christmas gifts with it, never did). Oops.
#63 of 127 Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Well, I totally overdid it I was feeling so good just days after the birth, I did a bunch of stuff this weekend (shopping, vacuuming, playing in the snow) at just one week pp. I totally paid for it last night. I had the worst cramping, almost as bad as labor contractions only ongoing. mw told me to do nothing for 24 hours so I'm back to sitting on my butt. I feel so stupid for doing this to myself I guess that's a good excuse to sit around on Christmas and let everyone else cook.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#64 of 127 Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM

I have a "is this normal" question about bleeding. I'm 1wk PP today. My bleeding had really slowed down and until yesterday I was able to use the bathroom without even changing a pad. Then H and I went to Target for a few necessities (they have great nursing tanks!) and in the afternoon my bleeding really picked up. I'm assuming it is from walking around the store. Does that sound okay? Normal? I'm trying to take it easy today.

Other that I'm doing really well. I'll be happy to be able to pick up DS1 again though. It is killing me to not be able to.
#65 of 127 Old 12-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I have a "is this normal" question about bleeding. I'm 1wk PP today. My bleeding had really slowed down and until yesterday I was able to use the bathroom without even changing a pad. Then H and I went to Target for a few necessities (they have great nursing tanks!) and in the afternoon my bleeding really picked up. I'm assuming it is from walking around the store. Does that sound okay? Normal? I'm trying to take it easy today.

Other that I'm doing really well. I'll be happy to be able to pick up DS1 again though. It is killing me to not be able to.
Yeah, the bleeding part generally equates to your level of activity.

My bleeding totally stopped at 1 week post partum...the earliest I think it has. Though I know it can come back if I start overdoing it. Hopefully doing laundry and some cooking isn't overdoing it, I'm still trying to take it easy with light activity.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#66 of 127 Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 PM

One lousy thing, with my excessive booby (I have overproductive supply here) my poor babe is pooping and filling up so many diapers! I'm concerned now that he has yeast, as the area around his butt is RED. Trying the yeast cream right now.

It makes me wonder, is it possible to have thrush without pain? I did have yeast issues at the end of the pregnancy, but I did garlic and probiotics and the itchiness I had disappeared completely (oral probiotics as well as putting some in the yahoo...)

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#67 of 127 Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
One lousy thing, with my excessive booby (I have overproductive supply here) my poor babe is pooping and filling up so many diapers! I'm concerned now that he has yeast, as the area around his butt is RED. Trying the yeast cream right now.

It makes me wonder, is it possible to have thrush without pain? I did have yeast issues at the end of the pregnancy, but I did garlic and probiotics and the itchiness I had disappeared completely (oral probiotics as well as putting some in the yahoo...)
My LO has this too (diarrhea and raw, red ring around her anus from ouchy poops). From what I've read I'm assuming it's an allergic reaction to something in my diet, so I'm going to cut out all milk products and see if that helps. Let me know what you find out...

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#68 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Anyone else tear and get stitches? Is the itching driving you nuts? Today has been pretty good so I'm thinking that means the stitches have dissolved or are dissolving.
#69 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

I got one stitch, but its non-dissolving...No itching though?
#70 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
My LO has this too (diarrhea and raw, red ring around her anus from ouchy poops). From what I've read I'm assuming it's an allergic reaction to something in my diet, so I'm going to cut out all milk products and see if that helps. Let me know what you find out...
I'll be 3 weeks pp tomorrow and ds has had this for over a week. The ring around his anus is bright red and spotted and it makes me feel terrible for him! I tried cutting out all possible allergens to see if it would go away but it hasn't... do you know how long it's suppose to take? The yeast thing had come to mind too...Not to mention his butt is chapped looking now too and I think that's from the cloth diapers- he's a heavy wetter.

Me: I think I might be getting a yeast infection from wearing stupid pads all the time. My bleeding is still significant enough that I can't go without a pad. I can't stick anything in my vagina so I'm not sure what to do about the yeasties... these Always pads are terrible though! Why would you make them out of plastic? Yuck!

Also I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and a bit sad suddenly. I'm tired and the cloth diapering is a lot of work when you don't have a washer and dryer... I'm constantly afraid I'm going to run out of diapers before I can get to washing them and I dread changing his diaper because he has a rash and it takes FOREVER to change him in the middle of the night. CD is like a little black cloud over my head right now.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#71 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Wow! CD with no washer/dryer?

I still don't know whether we're really tandem nursing this time or not. Lydia backed off to not really nursing much at all during the last month of my pregnancy, apparently because she was freaked out by causing me pain. I was ready to just let it go, but my DH, who is extremely pro-full-term-nursing, keeps encouraging me to keep at it, and in fact brings her to me when she's half-asleep and still able/willing to latch on effectively. He brought her in this morning and she nursed for 10 or 15 minutes, very efficiently emptying the boobie, I might add! (Though I have such oversupply that I managed to make even the 2-year-old cough and splutter when the milk let down. *flex*) Since that time, she's been so friendly to me! She keeps bringing me her toys and climbing up into my lap, which she hadn't been doing for a while. So maybe she does still really like nursing, despite her reactions when I offer. I wish she'd just make up her mind!

Is anyone else tandeming? How is it going?
#72 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 PM

moodyred: Dairy alone can take weeks to clear your system and the baby's system. I think 6 weeks is normally the longest you hear. I'd expect to see some improvement in there though.
#73 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
Wow! CD with no washer/dryer?
Yeah... it's not going so well! The machines at the mat here in our apts don't get them clean and my mom's gotten a little annoyed with me driving over to wash.:
Quote:
Is anyone else tandeming? How is it going?
DD is 3 and quit nursing awhile ago but because of my abundant supply she's been getting nice glasses of pumped milk. Not the same thing but better than nothing! I always wondered what it was like to tandem nurse though...

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#74 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 08:19 PM

hey mamas, just wondering if anyone else out there is trying elimination communication with their LO's? I started at about age 6 months with my older ds (he was pretty much out of diapers by 1 year), and with this baby I tried for the first time last week (2.5 weeks old) and wow - starting catching poops in the toilet almost immediately! the holding position (his back to my tummy, legs up) and the cool air on his bottom seems to really help him move his bowels, and sometimes even pee. I'm proceeding slowly at this point, not wanting to create any aversion in him or exhaustion in me, but so far so good. for mamas who are struggling with diaper rashes, this might be something to consider. . . Ingrid Bauer's book "Diaper Free" is really helpful. I'm not going to try going w/o diapers for a good long time (like this spring/summer when it's warm enough to let him go naked for a while) but I'm just taking him to the potty and giving signals when I change him. anyone else out there into EC'ing or just interested in chatting about it?
#75 of 127 Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM

moodyred - I dread night time changes with prefolds! I save all my fitteds for night time and out of the house, because I hate trying to fold, snappi, and cover in the middle of the night while my baby is begging to be fed.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#76 of 127 Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
I'll be 3 weeks pp tomorrow and ds has had this for over a week. The ring around his anus is bright red and spotted and it makes me feel terrible for him! I tried cutting out all possible allergens to see if it would go away but it hasn't... do you know how long it's suppose to take? The yeast thing had come to mind too...Not to mention his butt is chapped looking now too and I think that's from the cloth diapers- he's a heavy wetter.

Me: I think I might be getting a yeast infection from wearing stupid pads all the time. My bleeding is still significant enough that I can't go without a pad. I can't stick anything in my vagina so I'm not sure what to do about the yeasties... these Always pads are terrible though! Why would you make them out of plastic? Yuck!

Here's a link to another thread I posted in breastfeeding. I got some good feedback about milk allergies and breastfeeding.

I knew she was reacting to milk b/c it runs in my family, so I cut out all milk and soy (including the minor ingredients in processed/packaged foods like bread) and I saw an improvement within a few days. But I assume that kids that have multiple allergies or more severe allergies can take a much longer time to filter out all the allergens.

I have a horrible rash myself from wearing a pad every day for 3 weeks! The plastic is rubbing me raw. Ouch.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#77 of 127 Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM

^^I can NOT WAIT to get rid of these pads! They drive me crazy! And I'll think I'm well on my way and can wear a panty liner all day without anything for a few days and then BAM, I need an actual pad again. YUCK.

#78 of 127 Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
^^I can NOT WAIT to get rid of these pads! They drive me crazy! And I'll think I'm well on my way and can wear a panty liner all day without anything for a few days and then BAM, I need an actual pad again. YUCK.
They told me about how long the bleeding would last at the hospital...but I forget. Can someone refresh my memory?

Quote:
I have a horrible rash myself from wearing a pad every day for 3 weeks! The plastic is rubbing me raw. Ouch.
BTW: Cloth pads + me =
#79 of 127 Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Hey, I wanted to update since some seem to have similar stuff. My LO now is just fine with the butt...it seems it's a combination of a few things, I tried Desitin, but that didn't seem to work so well. Then, tried this bordeaux butt paste...I don't know what's in it, but it seems to have worked. And, I did a lot of open diaper time...

I'm seriously thinking of looking up elimination communication. I seem to always know when the babe is going to poop/wee-wee. At least I'm catching it a few times a day without even trying.

#80 of 127 Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM

The butt paste has 16% zinc oxide. I was thinking about grabbing some just in case last night for the CDs (i heard it won't ruin them), but I ended up not getting it.

#81 of 127 Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Anyone else have pp hemarrhoids? I got them about 2 wks pp. They are Horrible! I've never had them before.
#82 of 127 Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
The butt paste has 16% zinc oxide. I was thinking about grabbing some just in case last night for the CDs (i heard it won't ruin them), but I ended up not getting it.
I'm using cloth too...and I spelled it wrong! They talk about it on buttpaste.com. I don't know that it's the zinc that matters...it has a couple of other ingredients in it. The desitin had a lot of zinc oxide (40%) and didn't seem to help!

I'm actually just looking forward to a few more weeks when babe is pooping more like once a day instead of at nearly every change!

#83 of 127 Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I'm actually just looking forward to a few more weeks when babe is pooping more like once a day instead of at nearly every change!
Wait, what? They start to poop less? When does this happen?
#84 of 127 Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaigeadams View Post
Anyone else have pp hemarrhoids? I got them about 2 wks pp. They are Horrible! I've never had them before.
I got them from pushing. I pushed for 3-4 hours total...so yeah, I got 'em. Fun Fun. They don't hurt though...just every once in awhile if we've been walking all day, but other than that, I can't really feel them. The suppositories make my tummy upset...weird. But I don't need them any ways. Hope they get better for you!

I am so thankful I had this babe...I get sleep now. I love it. I got 10 hours last night...went to bed at 9:30, woke up at 2am(up for 2 hours eating and changing and fussing bc mommy didn't hive him enough to eat) then woke up for the day at 11:30. I am so happy I FINALLY get to sleep now. Ironic huh?!
#85 of 127 Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Hey, just a quick note to say hi and chime in about the diaper rash conversation. We found a "recipe" for tea tree oil (1 TBL) mixed with olive oil (2 TBL) when Evangeline had a nasty diaper rash last week. This stuff worked immediately! In fact, she was rash free within 24 hours! I hope it works for some of you all. We even use a bit of it every few changes to stave off a rash.

I love c/ding too and am in awe, Red, that you don't have a w/d and are continuing!

My stitches were the dissolvable kind, too, and they itched to holy high h#ll during the second week of recovery. It was made worse by the yeast infection I got from using the pads from the hospital. I normally only use all cotton ones so my body protested. I cried one night for hours b/c I was so uncomfortable. I ended up spraying this numbing spray on myself so I could find some relief.

Evangeline is doing well although she was diagnosed with GERD (baby reflux) on Christmas Eve. The medicine she is on has brought her some comfort and we no longer have a screaming, shrieking baby thank goodness. She still insists that we hold her pretty much 24/7. We've become co-sleepers just so we can sleep! I know she will grow out of this period and I am trying to relish it while I can but oof it can tiring on days when I am by myself all day. I am a pro now at using the bathroom with a baby in my arms. We do wear her frequently so that provides a bit of relief.

I go in for my 6 week check up tomorrow

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#86 of 127 Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
Wait, what? They start to poop less? When does this happen?
Heh. In some cases, such as my second baby, never! She still poops about 18 times a day (OK, maybe five in reality, but still...), but now she's potty-training, so there's an end in sight to it being my problem that she poops so much.:
#87 of 127 Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM

For the diaper rash issues, even though my newest LO isn't here yet. DD2 is allergic to zinc. So we swapped to bag balm or lansinoh and it not only heals but lanolin provides one of the best barriers there is! They use similar stuff in nursing homes, now, too. Vaseline works, too. A can of bag balm is about $7 I think, but it lasts forever because you don't need much. It's easier to use and cheaper than the Lansinoh, too.

HTH!
#88 of 127 Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Is anyone else sweating like crazy at night?

I am almost four weeks out and I've recently started to shiver about 7pm until I go to bed unless I am wrapped in blankets. Sometime in the middle of the night, I wake up sweating. Last night, I literally soaked through three shirts with sweat. When I get up to change clothes, I start to shiver again. My hair and pillow also become sweaty.

I don't think the heat is too high b/c no one else in my house complains about the heat and we haven't changed the temp since the baby's been born.

Any ideas if this is normal? I remember this happening after my first was born, but it was more immediately after she was born (while I was still in the hospital) rather than starting almost four weeks out. Should I call my MW or OB?

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#89 of 127 Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post

I am almost four weeks out and I've recently started to shiver about 7pm until I go to bed unless I am wrapped in blankets. Sometime in the middle of the night, I wake up sweating. Last night, I literally soaked through three shirts with sweat. When I get up to change clothes, I start to shiver again. My hair and pillow also become sweaty.

I don't think the heat is too high b/c no one else in my house complains about the heat and we haven't changed the temp since the baby's been born.

Any ideas if this is normal? I remember this happening after my first was born, but it was more immediately after she was born (while I was still in the hospital) rather than starting almost four weeks out. Should I call my MW or OB?
Maybe your thyroid is off? I dunno...I sweat but only bc my LO sleeps on me some nights. He's a little heater that one. Just like his daddy.

Hope you find out what it is, and let us know if you find out! Good luck!
#90 of 127 Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrum97 View Post

I think it is normal with hormones fluctuating and all. I've had them on and off since birth of LO. I'm also having temperature issues with being hot sometimes and cold others, again I think it is PP hormones. I hate waking up all sweaty and gross. I also had this sometimes during pregnancy. Hormones can do wacky stuff.

I am going to see a lactation consultnat tomorrow to try and get off the nipple sheild. My poor nipples hurt so bad that I am mostly pumping and not putting babe to breast. I even supplemented with formula a few times. My goal is to get better enough to bf until at least he is 3 months old.

gotta run, time to pump again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page