The Postpartum Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to offer some hope on the nutramigen front, I cut out all dairy, soy, nuts, and peanuts from my diet when Lydia was six weeks old (she also had complete dairy-protein intolerance and noticeable soy intolerance), and I still found once or twice a day she would start screaming in pain, so I also gave her a probiotic supplement and ground up some lactase tablets for her, but once or twice a day she STILL seemed to need the hypoallergenic formula. She got it at least once a day until she was one.

She's still nursing. She nurses about five times a day at this point. She'll be three next month.

The reason I made it through and kept her nursing is that I was really, really determined to keep nursing. I would not give up a single breastfeeding unless she really, definitely needed me to, and I always pumped or nursed my older kid when she got formula. By the time she was one it was no longer an issue, and nursing her was easy. So, although most people will not manage to keep nursing if their baby has severe protein intolerances, it can be done and has been done when the mama is willing to really work at it. And, I should add, it's totally worth it! I'm soooooo glad I didn't cave when she seemed to prefer formula or when I was tired of living on rice and chicken and raw veggies, because she still loves the boobies.
#122 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Anyone else feel like they've forgotten how they did this the first time? I feel really overwhelmed right now trying to meet both kids' needs and still have time to do the little things, like going to the bathroom. My parents were helping, but had to go home on Sunday, and DH went back to work yesterday. I was so exhausted by the time he got home I was sobbing, and I was in pain again from my tear (I'm a week pp). DH is going to work from home the rest of the week, thank goodness, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to all of this.
#123 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
Here's a pic of my baby boy at 4 weeks in his sling!

So 4 weeks pp here and feeling like a fatty! Overall I feel great most of the time but I just really want to be able to wear some jeans and that is soooo not happening any time soon. There's some definite muffin top action going on that is really uncomfortable!

Baby is doing great though... born at 8lbs 8oz and he's already 13 pounds at 4 weeks! : Mommy makes good milk!

I looove that pic! he is soooo cute!

Aya is 10.2 pounds at 2 week PP visit last night.

We are doing well and handled our 1st day alone w/ dp gone out of town really well. We went to playgroup and that wore the older kids out, thankfully! They played in the snow and ran around, etc while us MDC mamas shared some yummy food and great conversations Dp arrives tonight...hopefully the train won't be late
#124 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Well, my LO is now 3 weeks old today!

So far, everything with him is going well, he's a good eater, doesn't get fussy or cry (other than at diaper changes when he's wiped he doesn't like that), and generally seems to be an easy going baby. Weighed him a few days ago and he was around 10 pounds.

Of course, with me I've had my own issues LOL. Weight wise I'm doing very well. Within 2 weeks I was at my pre-pregnancy weight. Now I seem to be 4-5 pounds under it. Though, my tummy isn't completely flat yet I can fit into my prepregnancy jeans. And, I'm eating just fine, it just seems that is how I do pregnancy and postpartum.

Otherwise, we did a long day out over the weekend, and as baby didn't do well with nursing while we were out (and me with overproductive supply) I wound up with a plugged duct. Got hit with the chills, fever and felt horrible on Sunday. Decided to heat, pump, massage, breast compress, put baby to the breast a ton (and overnight too) and my fever disappeared a day later and still doing OK today. PHEW....I know I was flirting with mastitis, so glad that I eliminated it. My breast is still a little sore where my lumps were, but things otherwise seem to be back to normal. Taking it easy today and tomorrow just in case.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#125 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Anyone else feel like they've forgotten how they did this the first time? I feel really overwhelmed right now trying to meet both kids' needs and still have time to do the little things, like going to the bathroom. My parents were helping, but had to go home on Sunday, and DH went back to work yesterday. I was so exhausted by the time he got home I was sobbing, and I was in pain again from my tear (I'm a week pp). DH is going to work from home the rest of the week, thank goodness, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to all of this.
Yeah, me too. The hardest thing about this so far is the guilt I feel over neglecting my older son. I hate not having as much time for him. One week pp is so early... I'm glad your DH will be home the rest of the week. I'm one month pp and I feel like I'm still healing and adjusting.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#126 of 127 Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistenicole View Post
Yeah, me too. The hardest thing about this so far is the guilt I feel over neglecting my older son. I hate not having as much time for him. One week pp is so early... I'm glad your DH will be home the rest of the week. I'm one month pp and I feel like I'm still healing and adjusting.
Thanks. I feel so tired now that even when my dd is being sweet, Ill get annoyed with her, then feel guilty. Really, I think she's adjusting pretty well. It is early, and I try to remind myself of that. By 12 weeks pp with dd I felt so much better about everything. I just try to remind myself of that.
#127 of 127 Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Oh gosh Odenata one week is so soon. Dory is three weeks old today and I'm only barely beginning to feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page