Anyone else STILL not have a name?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty much what the title says.....we have been tossing names around for MONTHS now and still don't have THE name. We had gotten it down to 3, but I recently found out a member of my mom's group IRL who is due today is considering naming her girl one of our names (she didn't know it was on our list-just a coincidence) so if she does, I will NOT be using it-too close!

I have been leaning towards one of the names, but still feel like THE ABSOLUTE RIGHT NAME is still out there and we haven't thought of it yet. DH refuses to discuss is anymore until she is born.

It's driving me crazy and pissing me off, all at the same time. : I know so many people say the name just comes to them once they see the baby, but relying on that makes me stressed!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#2 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Oh, Kelly! I hear ya! We are in the same boat and still have no name.

I pick some..dp doesn't like them. He picks some and I don't like them. I had a few I thought we were settled on and still feel like we don't, like they are not her name. I really know what you mean there.

I too hope that a name will come to us when she's born or things around us when she's born will help determine her name...but it is stressful to wait like that.

At this point I have NO clue what her name will be. So while I am so ready for her to be born...not having a name makes me relieved I have some time to still look
#3 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM

We had our name list down to 3 names for our dd, but couldn't decide.
We wrote the names in rotation on the calendar and let her pick the day she wanted to be born, and named her the name that was written down for that day.

I still have that calendar page in her baby book...
#4 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 PM

We don't have a name and won't until he/she is born. I just can't do it! It was fun after DS was born we sat around the first day and just talked about what we might like to name him. We had a list of 20 or so we'd thought of, but mostly just looked through the name book until we settled on something. We don't care if babe is a few days old and doesn't have a name.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#5 of 22 Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 PM

We've had a boy's name for 9 years. Both DD's got their name rather spontaneously. We just have no idea this time! Not highly motivated to think about it, either - may just not worry about it at all til after birth. Contemplating Dorothy after DH grandmother who died last week. Not sure.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#6 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
We had our name list down to 3 names for our dd, but couldn't decide.
We wrote the names in rotation on the calendar and let her pick the day she wanted to be born, and named her the name that was written down for that day.

I still have that calendar page in her baby book...
What a cute and sweet idea!

We have a girl first name, but no middle name and no boy name. The girl name is Evelyn. The middle name may end up Rose after my SIL who passed 2 years ago, but DH isn't sure if he wants that or not, so we need an alternative. As for boy names, we are clueless! I like Atticus, but DH isn't a fan. I'm not sure if that's 'the' name anyhow. meh

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#7 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Same here... I have a couple of name I kind of like, but nothing that pops out. It's really hard I think, especially as I have a whole range of names for girls that I like, but this baby is a boy. I hope he won't stay nameless for months on end

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#8 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM

we're not tied to any name yet.... I think we're waiting to meet our new little one!!!
#9 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 PM

We just finally got together a short list of names we actually like and that honor people we want to honor. No way we are going to decide before the birth, but at least we finally have some we like, we didn't for a long time.

I'm always happy to try to suggest, if you give some hints about what you like and what styles suit your family and if there is anyone you want to honor. One thing I've definitely found is that some kind of connection is often needed to make it feel like "the name" not always, sometimes its just a name that sounds pretty to you but more often if there is no particular connection except a nice sound its very hard to feel like the name belongs to you or your child. There are some names I objectively love but I can't find any sense of connection with, they just don't feel like "my child"

What's the name you are leaning towards and why does that one feel a little more right? Sometimes thinking in that direction helps.
#10 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 01:03 PM

We've got a boy name picked out (I think) but no girl name...We've got ideas, but we do 3 names instead of just first and middle, so we've got ideas for 2 of the 3.
#11 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 PM

are we supposed to name this thing?

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#12 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad we're not the only ones who haven't decided yet- seems most of the mamas I know have the names picked out by the end of the 1st tri and have been referring to the baby by that name ever since then!

I am always open to suggestions! My DS is Caden Reese, and the 3 names on our "short list" are:

-Delaney (was on the list for DS if he'd been a girl, but this is also the name the friend IRL is considering)
-Tessa- this is the leader, for me, so far- it feels sweet but spunky to me, which is how I feel baby girl is...but yet I'm still not sure this is HER name.
-Aislinn- we loves the "Irishness" of this one, but are a bit concerned about pronounciation problems as well as it's similarity to the trendy "Ashlyn"

I like names that are not TOO common, but not freako-weird, LOL. Also we like Irish names. We don't want to (purposely, at least) name her after anyone- we want her to have her own name.

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#13 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM

We have middle names, and I think we're down to 2 possible first names for a girl and 2 for a boy. It does kind of suck not knowing.
#14 of 22 Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Our dd's are Annie & Molly - boys' name would be Charlie (Charles) - but we don't know what we're having.

I have a million hang-ups about names - mostly because my name was and still is constantly misspelled and mispronounced. First *and* last name. (Abel - have ya heard of Cain & Abel?) Even my married name is easy but is often mispronounced. (seriously? you don't know how to pronounce Hyde????)

I don't like "nick names", but I'm willing to compromise with Charles/Charlie because it's a strong family name from two men that I totally adored. I want my kids' names to be THE name. I don't want anyone in the family to have the same initial (my brother & I have the same first letter, and I really hated it). Letters not allowed: J, P, E, A, M, F, and maybe H.

I like 2-syllable names that end in the "ee" sound. I like traditional names with traditional spellings. I like knowing the name meaning, but it isn't the first thing that attracts me to a name. When I hear the right name, I will immediately feel it. We don't have any family names that are really meaningful to us - Dorothy is a consideration, but I don't think I really want it - because it's 3 syllables and feels too formal. I would like it as a middle name, though. I am tempted by Charlie for a girl. I wanted to name DD2 Charlie - but I was talked out of it. This time, I've had more positive responses, though.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#15 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 AM

Janis I wouldn't name her Charlie, its just giving her the same issues you had in a slightly different way. Charlotte is lovely though its a little more formal than Anne and Molly. Sharla? Shayla? With Anne and Molly I think more like Jane (though that might be too close to your name) or Lucy or Rose.

Kelly I love Tessa. Tessa can also be a nickname for Therese/Theresa if you want something more formal to give her or it can stand on its own. I like Tessa so much better than Delaney that I'm kind of glad the other people are "stealing it"

I like Aislinn a lot too though you will have to tell people how to pronounce it.

Niamh, Saoirse, Sinead, Roisin are some other like that...those irish gaelic spellings are rough but the names are so pretty. I'm going to take a look and think about it and come back with some other suggestions
#16 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM

I should have said that I hate the names Charlotte or Charlene

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#17 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 AM

Some Irish names without difficult pronunciations, or anglicized forms of Irish names, personally I'd love to use Liadan:

Fiona
Grania
Elva
Liadan
Moira
Muriel
Nessa
Orla
Riona
Nora

PS, one nice thing about Orla...in Irish it comes from a name meaning golden, or golden princess, but in Hebrew Orly or Orlit is a name that means "My light" It was one of our top girls choices when we still thought there was a possibility of a girl.
#18 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Ok no Charlotte

I doubt I'm going to find something for you that you haven't heard already but just in case, two syllables most ending in ee sound, not on your list of forbidden letters:

Lucy
Carla or Carly (pretty close to charlie without that "I'm a tomboy" air)
Chloe
Noemi
Orly
Zoe
Tracy
Sophie
Sylvie
Sally (too nicknamy for me, but obviously not an issue if you've got a Molly)
Cathy
Ivy
Leslie
Nancy
Ruby
Shelby
Stacy
Wendy
#19 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfry7 View Post
Well, I'm glad we're not the only ones who haven't decided yet- seems most of the mamas I know have the names picked out by the end of the 1st tri and have been referring to the baby by that name ever since then!

I am always open to suggestions! My DS is Caden Reese, and the 3 names on our "short list" are:

-Delaney (was on the list for DS if he'd been a girl, but this is also the name the friend IRL is considering)
-Tessa- this is the leader, for me, so far- it feels sweet but spunky to me, which is how I feel baby girl is...but yet I'm still not sure this is HER name.
-Aislinn- we loves the "Irishness" of this one, but are a bit concerned about pronounciation problems as well as it's similarity to the trendy "Ashlyn"

I like names that are not TOO common, but not freako-weird, LOL. Also we like Irish names. We don't want to (purposely, at least) name her after anyone- we want her to have her own name.
I am sure you will do just fine. I have a caden and a reese (both spelled the same) so I think you have done pretty well so far w/ the name choices.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#20 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
I am sure you will do just fine. I have a caden and a reese (both spelled the same) so I think you have done pretty well so far w/ the name choices.
Thanks!!! We really like Ds's name and it really fits him too!

Liadan/Liadain is something I JUST came up with and told DH and he is considering, which surprised me as I was sure he'd shoot it down right away. One problem I see with it is that from what I can tell, it is pronounced LEE-din, which may sounds too close to Caden. I like names to "go together" but not be too rhymy-matchy.

Tessa is definitely the front-runner for me- I have been consciously and unconsciously referring to her by that name for a couple weeks now, and it just seems (right NOW) to fit. I'm not crazy about Theresa, so we'll leave it as Tessa if we use it. DH thinks it sounds too "little girly" for an adult, which I do not agree with at all. I think his favorite of the 3 is Delaney, but my vote carries more weight than his (by his own admission)

I like a lot of the Irish names- we had considered Caoimhe for a while, but again, the pronunciation factor. But we are still keeping things open on that front.

#21 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 PM

We have first names for sure. The middle names aren't so sure. Our girl's middle name we both agree on, but the boy's I don't like. I'm trying to find a close alternative that I like, but so far no luck.

I think we've both just decided to wait until the baby is born and if it's a girl then we don't have to worry about it, if it's a boy - well let's just say I pushed the canalope out of then grape and I'll be there with the baby name book while he's at home with dd. mwahaha.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#22 of 22 Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Don't forget to utilize nymbler.com!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page