Induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, who's heard the word from their healthcare provider?

I honestly didn't think I'd make it to 40 weeks so being asked about induction BEFORE my due date was a bit shocking. Now being told that I might HAVE to do it is a little scary. I got really upset and started crying (because I'm pregnant and didn't know what else to do in order to keep myself from going completely off on the doctor) at my last prenatal.

He mentioned how he knew that I wanted to avoid induction if at all possible and then continued to say that he was on call the 12th and 18th (I'M NOT EVEN 42 WEEKS UNTIL THE 24TH!) Then when I told him that I don't like the idea of having to be induced based on his schedule he said that 5 days (from the 18th - the 23rd) wouldn't make a difference if I hadn't gone into labor yet. Then I said how one day could make a difference and I wanted to wait until the last possible moment. SO! After talking to family I've decided that if I absolutely must being induced it won't be until the 22nd or 23rd. (According to my brain, my actual due date isn't until the 14th anyways, which makes me not even "due" yet.)

Anyone else?

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM

The only time the word induction has come up is when my doctor said she wouldn't do it unless there was a "really good reason."

If you don't want an induction because of your doctor's schedule, then don't do it. Is it more important to you to have that particular doctor or to let the baby come on its own? I don't see any reason why you "have" to be induced. You DO have the right to say no.
#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbyscout View Post
The only time the word induction has come up is when my doctor said she wouldn't do it unless there was a "really good reason."

If you don't want an induction because of your doctor's schedule, then don't do it. Is it more important to you to have that particular doctor or to let the baby come on its own? I don't see any reason why you "have" to be induced. You DO have the right to say no.
I don't even like the doctor. I'd rather have someone else do it, if I have to. I just think it was ridiculous to bring it up this time. He could've waited until the 41 week appointment to revisit the idea.

I know I can say "no". And I pretty much did. They just have to "note in your chart that it was discussed and that you're aware of the risks". In the meantime I'm trying some natural induction methods. I know nothing's going to make the baby come faster than it's ready, but maybe my baby is ready and just needs a little push?

#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, that's sucky. I'm sorry he did that. I absolutely agree you should wait as long as YOU are comfortable, not base it on the doc's schedule.

if you're looking for stuff to try, I went to the acupuncturist on Thurs, and since I'm only 38 weeks and change she did some "labor preparation" points...I swear it did something, I felt crampy the rest of the day, it felt like baby dropped a bit, I had some stabbing pains in my cervix, and I was extra mucusy (sorry for the TMI!) Obviously I still don't have my baby, but it was interesting. I'm going back on Tuesday and she said she'd be more "aggressive" then since I'll be past 39 weeks...I'm somewhat of a believer that it at least helps.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#5 of 10 Old 12-13-2008, 10:36 PM

Good for you for making your feelings clear . Sending you : that your babe comes on its own and when a better doctor is on call .
#6 of 10 Old 12-14-2008, 12:34 AM

SUPER important to avoid induction if you can if possible, particularly in the first time mom. It only work about half the time in first time moms! EEK.

And, if you get to the point where you're getting pressure and are seriously facing it you need to look to your Bishop score for more of an indication of what the likelyhood is that it will succeed. I kid you not...around here it seems like the majority of hospital births are induced and nearly all are augmented with pit. :

In fact, every woman I know who has birthed in a hospital down here has been induced.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 10 Old 12-14-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
SUPER important to avoid induction if you can if possible, particularly in the first time mom. It only work about half the time in first time moms! EEK.

And, if you get to the point where you're getting pressure and are seriously facing it you need to look to your Bishop score for more of an indication of what the likelyhood is that it will succeed. I kid you not...around here it seems like the majority of hospital births are induced and nearly all are augmented with pit. :

In fact, every woman I know who has birthed in a hospital down here has been induced.
What's the bishop score?

I didn't think they considered you "over due" until 42 weeks. But apparently hitting your due date is a problem. Pretty soon we'll all either be too early or too late.

#8 of 10 Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 PM

Bishop's Score

Don't let them push you without a good medical reason. Time is not a good medical reason. You're doing great.
#9 of 10 Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM

i also know many really positive induction stories, fyi. stick to your guns and stay positive!
#10 of 10 Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

From what I can tell I would have a 6, but I also don't know the position of cervix, consistancy, or baby's station.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page