Baby Shower anxiety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Rie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husbands step mother called me 2 weeks ago saying she'd like to throw a baby shower with close family and friends. She was originally thinking after the baby arrived, which is why I guess she didn't mention it until recently. But the idea of postpartum me, new baby, and many hands gives me anxiety. I told her no thanks but she continued to insist...even though my due date at the time was 3 weeks away. It isn't like I haven't been pregnant for 9 months, why now? I relented and said if she wanted to throw one I would perfer it to be before baby arrives. She chose a date just a few days before my due date. I told her specifically if I had the baby before then then I wouldn't be at the shower. I sound completely ungrateful, but feel a little pushed into it.

I am now worried if I do have the baby before next Sat I will be expected to show up with my tiny bundle.

Am I weird? I feel like a selfish freak, but also know my postpartum self and feel I need to respect that rather than give into the desires of relatives. I will be seeing them all once baby arrives anyway...just not all at once, which is what I can't handle w/little one in tow.

I need encouragement...and sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post

Am I weird? I feel like a selfish freak, but also know my postpartum self and feel I need to respect that rather than give into the desires of relatives.

I need encouragement...and sleep!
No you are not weird.

And you are not a selfish freak.

You need a babymoon! And I wouldn't want people trying to handle my newborn, especially during the winter/illness season!

Hope you get some sleep, and I hope you don't have to deal with this. But if you do remember that doing what is best for you and your little one shouldn't be something you feel guilty about.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM

stick to your guns. this is the first battle in a long line of battles where other people will try to push you into doing things you do not want to with YOUR baby that YOU are responsible for protecting.

User Tag List