GBS+ Mamas, I need your help!!! I'm due in 2 days and just found out i'm +!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 31 Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
That was a great article. I am allergic to penicillin. If I read it right, I am not increasing my baby's risk of infection by refusing abx if I don't have the 3 main risk factors, even if I test positive before labor?
That is what it seems. I would suggest a Hebiclens wash at the start of labor b/c studies showed that using it was just as effective as using abx during labor. You can buy it at any drugstore and your mw can dilute it for you.

If you do a retest, what I saw suggested was that you test the vaginal area only to see if it is postive or negative. You can also swab and do another test on only the rectum. Just so you know what you're dealing w/. I did this, didn't do rectum tho but you certainly can (mw only had one test swab on her at my appt).

I talked to a few mamas today that I know (homeschool group) and 2 had gbs+ results. One didn't get any abx b/c she delivered too soon and was kept in the hospital 3 days b/c of it, her son was fine. Another did get the abx and I asked her how her babe was w/ thrush and colic. She was shocked I mentioned that b/c her dd had horrible thrush and she did too and it was very painful to nurse. Her dd had was "hard" and had colic for 3 months or so as well and b/c of this combination and the thrush she quite nursing early on. She really wanted to continue but said it was horrible for both of them and so hard...she had many issues w/ not being able to get through all the pain and BF and felt awful. Needless to say she was shocked when I told her the link to thrush and colic b/c of abx for GBS during labor. She had another dd a few years later and was negative for gbs and that dd was "fine" and nursed quite a long time.

Very, very interesting, huh?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page