GBS+ Mamas, I need your help!!! I'm due in 2 days and just found out i'm +!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the old thread posted about GBS and know some of you have delivered.

I tested on Nov.18th when I was 36 weeks on the dot. Each week I have asked my mw what the results are and she said she didn't have them...etc. Well she waits until i'm due in 2 days to look them up and find them online and tells me that i'm GBS+!!! :

So...almost one month has flown by and I'm due on Tuesday and I am so frustrated that this entire time I could have been taking garlic and what not to get rid of it. Now there is NO time and I'm really upset She said we can do the IV during the HB but the whole point of a HB was to avoid needles and all that stuff! She mentioned doing garlic vaginally and grapefruit seed extract. I asked if there was anything else and she said that's about it. And there is not enough time to do this anyway, kwim?!

What to do now?! I am so scared and worried and really upstet w/ her for taking this long to get my results back. I have never tested + before, this is my 5th baby and 1st HB. I could use some advice and help...especially from those who were + and just delivered. What did you end up doing?
#2 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 02:45 PM

Hi! I just found out I'm positive too. I never even tested with my two others so I had no clue what to do. i spoke at length with my midwife annd she said that since baby is full term the chances of her contracting it are lower anyway. She also said to do a douche with betadine and water which i did twice yesterday. she said you can insert acidophilius caplets. I also found that a dilution of tea tree oil and water on a tampon will also get rid of it. It's NOT the end of home birth! I promise. She was very matter of fact about it. One just has to make sure that if your water breaks you don[t go too long before baby is born, I think its like 18 hours or something like that. There was a huge thread somewhere around 2005 with lots o natropath opinions and remedies on this board. I printed it out and it had loads of stuff about it. The betadine and water douche thing though is supposed to be the best bet on getting rid of it. Best of luck, don't freak out, I had to keep telling myself that.........
#3 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 PM

I got tested too late to do anything about my + results and ended up having to do the antibiotics, but I got to the birth center too far along and ended up getting just one dose instead of two. My midwife told me that it honestly is mostly a precautionary measure anyway, given as the risk is something like 1% for a full term baby.

I know that isn't much help, but I thought it might be some comfort...
#4 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Breathe. You'll be okay. Have you looked at the your risk factors for GBS transmission to the baby? I am sure you are low risk. Antibiotics are still a choice. If you are uncomfortable receiving them, unless you have risk factors (prolonged rupture of membranes, fever, etc.) you are well within reason to refuse them.

Here are the resources we give our English speaking patients.

http://www.whsl.org.uk/gbs/Pages/counseling.pdf

http://www.whsl.org.uk/gbs/Pages/AN_...=27&SubTopID=2

If you are worried and would prefer to have the antibiotic without the IV you can have them injected IM, instead. Just putting that out there, discuss it with your HCP.

Best of luck and try not to let it upset you. In the absence of risk factors... the risk of transmission is really very low.
#5 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Oy! I'm sorry this happened!

I think your best bet at this point is to combat it externally. Here's what I did:
  • Vaginal garlic clove suppository 2x a day until I went into labor I can give you more info on how to do this if you're interested.
  • Hybiclens douche when I went into labor (my midwife administered this); and Hybiclens washes occasionally during labor and delivery

I decided going into it that if I had any risk factors (fever or premature rupture of membranes greater than 18 hours) I'd be ok with the antibiotics.

After the birth we watched Lucia's breathing and temperature very carefully, for the first 3 days or so.

Good luck sweetie.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#6 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas. I spoke to her for almost an hour after I wrote this thread.

We are ordering the antibiotics to have jic we decide to use them. For now I am going w/ garlic, yogurt, vitc, and grapefruit seed extract. We'll retest at my 40 week apt tomorrow night and see what comes of it. But the clock is against us, that is my main reason for frustration

I am not so sure I want to do the atibiotics. She is willing to do the shot..but having to do it right when labor begins and then 4 hours after w/ it needing 45 mins after that to help babe...we might not have enough time. I am on my 5th and they come faster and faster. Then I read that one dose is pointless and most mamas only get one dose b/c labor goes fast and all that ammounts to is not helping w/ the exposure to babe and then exposing them to antibiotics. : Could this be any more confusing!

It sucs b/c even if we do the natural remedies...it might not work...we don't have enough time anyway...and either way w/ them or w/ antibiotics it might not help. But it scares the you know what outta me that this could harm my baby.

Anyone have luck w/ colloidal silver?
#7 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, Nicole

My mw will do the hebiclens when labor begins and during if needed.

She said to do garic at night...now 2x's a day...what and how did you do that? I'd rather do that then wait until night.I feel I don't have much time here, kwim? I'd love some tips on it if you have any...I've never gone there w/ garlic before

Quote:
I decided going into it that if I had any risk factors (fever or premature rupture of membranes greater than 18 hours) I'd be ok with the antibiotics.
I think that is what we'll do. She is ordering it and will have it on hand jic. Should we choose to we can, if not we won't. It's just so scary to even have to think about. Just this morning I was so happy and ready to have my baby and now this cloud is hanging over me and I'm hoping she will stay put until it's safe for her to arrive.
#8 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
: Could this be any more confusing!

It sucs b/c even if we do the natural remedies...it might not work...we don't have enough time anyway...and either way w/ them or w/ antibiotics it might not help. But it scares the you know what outta me that this could harm my baby.
I know... and what made it even more confusing for me was knowing that all the data we have in the US is primarily from hospital births - which are very different in terms of germ exposure and etc. This decision puts the parents in such a bad position. Anyway, I will be thinking of you. Wishing you a beautiful and uneventful birth.

NICOLE | Natural livin', co-sleepin', mostly vegan, work at home mama to N (7) and L (2)
#9 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your + test, mama! W/my daughter I tested positive but we didn't have the results when I gave birth so I didn't even know, and I even had PROM and she came a little early and she was fine! I'm still positive though it's scant...currently I'm taking high doses of probiotics, rinsing w/Hibiclens every other day, and taking a garlic 'elixir' (1/3 c. apple cider vinegar, 1/3 C. honey, 1/2 bulb garlic blended in blender).
Namastenicole, could you tell me HOW to freaking get the garlic clove to STAY in? I tried it for a week and it would NOT stay in at night and I pushed it pretty far up there! Plus it made me Sooooooo thirsty at night! But I'd like to maximize my eradication efforts...
#10 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM

Namastenicole, what signs did you use to monitor babe as well? Like what temp, breathing stats?
#11 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 PM

lemonjuice, i was + for the first time ever, too. i tried the entire vaginal/oral garlic + vit c. + acidophilus + hibiclens protocol for 2 entire weeks before retesting + at the end of all that!!! so don't beat yourself up about it, because you don't know whether it would have worked.

just FYI, i had the IV abx during labor, which only lasted 1.5 hours -- but my research and discussion with hcps led me to believe that it would still give the baby some protection, better than none at all. (i had none of the risk factors, either: my water broke 10mn before he was born).

in all honestly, it was a much smaller deal than i had worried about. the IV drip took 10 whole minutes (i didn't even have a ctx during) and i barely noticed it. then i could just get on with the labor, without worrying about hibiclens or water breaking early or anything else. in a way, it "put my mind at rest."

in retrospect, once he was born, i was very glad i'd had the IV. we still had to monitor him for 48 hours, but i was much less stressed about it (it's pretty stressful, the first 48 hours, to be constantly worrying about GBS onset).

neither of us has any side effects, so far, from the abx (now day 5 after the birth). my view is that it didn't detract from the magic of my HB in the least...

anyway, you have to do whatever you are most comfortable with, in the end. i just wanted to reassure you that the abx were really no big deal, if you decide to go that route. good luck
#12 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by League_mama View Post
Namastenicole, what signs did you use to monitor babe as well? Like what temp, breathing stats?
This is what we tell parents to look for and not to hesitate calling if they feel something is "off" in these areas.

Quote:
Signs of early-onset disease

Most babies who develop early-onset GBS disease become unwell within the first 12 hours of life, although presentation may occur anytime up to one week of age.

Typical symptoms and signs which should alert those caring for babies on the postnatal ward include the following:

* Grunting
* Poor feeding
* Poor body tone
* Fever
* Hypotension
* Abnormal respiration - either too rapid or slow.

Rapid, early intervention can prevent morbidity and mortality.
Mothers should be encouraged to report concerns about their baby to their midwife and health professionals need to be particularly alert to these symptoms and signs, particularly in babies considered to be at higher risk of GBS disease.

Routine post-natal prophylactic antibiotics are not indicated in low risk babies. To provide this would mean 5000 infants requiring treatment to prevent one case of GBS disease. At least 80 000 low risk babies would need prophylactic treatment to prevent one death from GBS disease.
#13 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm glad you are retaking it. There is a good chance that you are negative by now anyway. Breathe easy and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#14 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. So I got some vitc and just took 500mg. I am eating some yogurt and have some plain I will use vaginally as well. I also just took some grapefruit seed extract, 7 drops in a glass of OJ.

I skipped the probiotics for now b/c of lack of time and went w/ colloidal silver that I saw on gentlebirth.org b/c my mw said that would be similar to taking oral abx and if I can get 2 days in of it hopefully it will help.

League_mama, thanks for the info on the garlic elixir. I use ACV daily and honey in other forms as well as garlic..so maybe eating those often will help my results when I retest? I will also try the elixir...couldn't hurt huh?

Thanks all for the info and tips. It really helps to know that some of you have BTDT and all was well. Hopefully I can post that one day soon too.
#15 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Oh, gosh, what disappointing news and SO LATE in the game Other posters have given you great guidance but I wanted to let you know that I amt hinking about you.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#16 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 PM

I've got nothing. I opted to go for the abx, but I have a latent BV infection that I can't get rid of despite numerous attempts - Its asymptomatic, but still there. We're doing a heplock IV (as far as I know) for the abx since I can't have cilins and I don't think I can do IM with my meds (clindamycin). I also happen to be aware that my ped would possibly drop our care over not doing the abx if there is any minor signs (like raised WBC count- And theres always someone sick here wtih DDs issues) and having a very Sn child, my ped is not optional! I love that man and will cope with the abx if need be. But I have long labors too so its not likely that I won't manage 2 dose IYKWIM. If you do get them, just remember to keep an eye on the thrush...thats my biggest concern since I had 9 months of thrush hell with #1. Sorry they waited so long to tell you!!
#17 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM

I tested positive too and I'm having a UC. We are gonna do the hibicleans wash every 3-4 hours while in labor and I'm gonna up my Vit C intake..

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#18 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Candice, that makes me feel a lot better. I was wondering what uc'ers did if tested positive.

I picked up some probiotics and Kefir and more fermented foods. I talked to my mw about testing tomorrow w/ just the vaginal area b/c i saw a thread here on mdc that suggested that. She thinks it is a good idea.

So just upping the vit c, fermented foods, probiotics, and the grapefruit seed extract and hoping for the best at this point. Doing the garlic in a little while overnight as well and eating more garlic too. Hopefully this will help and abx won't be needed at all...but we'll only use them if there is a true need.
#19 of 31 Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by League_mama View Post
Namastenicole, could you tell me HOW to freaking get the garlic clove to STAY in? I tried it for a week and it would NOT stay in at night and I pushed it pretty far up there! Plus it made me Sooooooo thirsty at night! But I'd like to maximize my eradication efforts...

I don't know, maybe it's the size of the cloves. I got these jumbo bulbs from Trader Joes and the cloves I was using were about an inch wide. I had more trouble getting them out, so I ran a needle and thread through them to make pull cord like a tampon.

As for baby monitoring: Any temp over 99.9 would have concerned me, especially if I couldn't bring it down by unwrapping/undressing her. We took her temp 3x a day for the first 3 days or so. My midwives also said that breathing difficulties could be the first sign. Like grunting, flared nostrils, or distress. This is all really scary I know, but they also said that newborns tend to present symptoms really quickly, like in the first couple hours.

#20 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Honestly, I know how worried people are over GBS but realize that if you go past 37 weeks and you have a baby bigger then 5lbs he/she should be fine. It's really really rare something happens. It's a low risk. With my last birth (which was a planned HB with a midwife) I didn't even test at all and she was fine with letting me go without anything but we decided on the wash then too. Only reason I tested this time is because I'm seeing a CNM in a practice and she said the OB's can get nasty when you refuse the test even though she knows my intentions of UC. I also tested positive with my third child and was a hospital birth but labored too fast and didn't get any antibiotics and she was perfectly fine. Just watch out for temps after birth and any strange breathing or not wanting to eat. Over all though most all babies are fine, I can't quote the percentage right off without looking it up but it's so low.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#21 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
thanks, Nicole

My mw will do the hebiclens when labor begins and during if needed.
Sorry Lemon Juice, somehow I missed this when I responded to your message.

#22 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 12:45 AM

I was positive for my last pregnancy and just refused the antibiotics. The nurses gave me a dirty look and that's it. I believe that a single dose of antibiotics will only kill off the weak bacteria and allow the strong ones to thrive.

I've done a lot of research on the Hibiclens wash. Concentration at 0.2%, vaginal wash every 6 hours while in labor. The studies show that the rate of infection for the babies are the same as getting the antibiotics, EXCEPT the babies that got the Hibiclens wash got fewer e. coli infections than those who got the antibiotics! When I go into labor this time, I'm definitely doing the Hibiclens.

Good luck. It sounds like you have a lot of wonderful options and are taking advantage of many of them.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#23 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Just saw this thread, just wanted to offer up some hugs . It is a little strange that after four negative you've tested positive with #5! Though I do have a friend who has had 11 babies, and has tested positive once with them...though they redid it and she got a negative (they figured it was actually lab issues).

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that you have the probiotics. Not only can that help rebalance the system, but it's a good idea to have that in your system if you do wind up taking the antibiotics.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#24 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM

I keep forgetting to take test! We were going to do it a week ago ... personally, I don't mind getting the test or even taking precautionary antibiotics, if I were positive, BUT

(and this is a big BUT)

our MW has NEVER had an infection in over 20 years and over 1600 babies. She does have IV antibiotics if a mom chose to have the test and was positive, but none of that is required.

Now, here is what we learned a couple weeks ago: the infection rate is high in hospitals, but there is controversy about *how* the babies are getting those infections. There isn't hard-evidence to prove that it's a GBS+ mom who's responsible. There is another illness that is also to blame for newborn infections (e.coli). They don't test mom for it, and they don't even know how the babies are getting it. (me, I would suspect the *hospital*) I think there is even some debate about the antibiotic having much effect on e.coli at all! When they started testing moms and doing the antibiotic protocol, there wasn't a significant decrease in the hospital infection rate, by the way!

And, they can't test for either of these diseases fast enough to treat them specifically, so if your baby is sick, they're just going to treat it with broad-spectrum antibiotics. And, yes, these two infections are very very serious and must be treated quickly. While babies don't have specific symptoms that will tell you if your baby specifically has GBS or e.coli, there are certainly warning signs to look for to tell you your baby is sick with something.

**Note: every person will test GBS+ sometimes. Some research implies that we all "have" it up to half the time. Nobody knows for sure why or when you'll test positive, and healthy adults don't have any symptoms. Babies can get sick because it isn't *their* germ - even though it's in mom. The biggest factor in hospital infections: you being exposed to germs that aren't normal for *you*. The window of opportunity that affects birth is 5 weeks, so you want to test about 37-38 weeks for the greatest accuracy before birth. If you're having a hb, you want the test close to the end so that you have proof of negative results, in case of a transfer. If you transfer without the test at all, you will be treated as if you are positive and subject to the hospital protocol for that. Yes, you can refuse antibiotics, but they're going to make you feel like an evil parent.

A full-term baby born without interventions and vaginal exams has a practically no chance of getting sick *from these infections* and even less of a chance, when they're born at home. There isn't a time-frame for rupture and birth - but once rupture occurs, do NOT have any vag exams and check mom for fever.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#25 of 31 Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

So I did a search for gbs and found a great article on Mothering about it. Anyone looking for info still or who happens upon this thread by a search should really read it. I feel much more at ease w/ my choice now and more confident in my ability to decide what to do.

Here it is.
#26 of 31 Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM

THanks for that link!! I will be sure to read it in a bit!

~*Candice*~

#27 of 31 Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy View Post
THanks for that link!! I will be sure to read it in a bit!
No problem I am feeling much better about things today. I'm due today as well and sending the test to the lab in about an hour. So...hopefully we'll get the results back but if not then at least I feel like I've done all I can w/ what I know and how much time I had/have. In an ideal world babe would arrive on like, Friday or something and the test will be in and negative and all will be well. If it's positive (we're only testing the vaginal area) then we'll have to cross that bridge when or if we get to it. Just trying to let the universe take care of us and stay positive. :
#28 of 31 Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Hey Leslie, just thinking about you! Hope everything gets resolved soon and you have a wonderful, peaceful homebirth.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#29 of 31 Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Hey Leslie, just thinking about you! Hope everything gets resolved soon and you have a wonderful, peaceful homebirth.
Thank you, Sara that is really helpful right now and I really appreciate it. Hope you are well and babe is doing good!
#30 of 31 Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
So I did a search for gbs and found a great article on Mothering about it. Anyone looking for info still or who happens upon this thread by a search should really read it. I feel much more at ease w/ my choice now and more confident in my ability to decide what to do.

Here it is.
That was a great article. I am allergic to penicillin. If I read it right, I am not increasing my baby's risk of infection by refusing abx if I don't have the 3 main risk factors, even if I test positive before labor?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page