My Baby is Here! Update: #33 *PHOTOS*: #36 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats Holly! Can't wait to hear more.
#32 of 41 Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM

Congratulations Holly! Can't wait to hear the details and see your little sweetheart! Take it easy and enjoy your babymoon
#33 of 41 Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

I tried to post an update earlier, but the internet ate it. :

Anyway...

VERY shortly after DH donated some prostaglandins () I went into labor, basically went from 0-60! Contractions were 3 minutes apart about a minute each. This was at 2:30ish in the am on Sunday.

When we couldn't get a hold of the doula, and seeing as the contractions were so close (and quite strong) we decided to head to the hospital, just in case. I was only 1 cm, and my contractions slowed once there ( figures) so they sent us back home. We were then able to get a hold of the doula. We tried to get some rest, and then the doula, and her partner (who is working on her DONA certification) came over.

I labored at home for a while, until it seemed like I was in transition. But when we got to the hospital again I was only 3 cm!

My doula and DH helped me labor for a *very* long time. But since I had never gone to sleep the night before, and didn't get any real rest once labor began my body was tuckered out. Also, little Lovey wasn't engaging, which meant that my cervix just wasn't dilating the way it should. After laboring for a very long time (again) I had only made it to about 4 or 5 cm. I had no strength at this point so I got a shot or morphine just so I could try to sleep in between contractions and rest as best as I could. The little rest I got helped me get to 6cm, at which point I decided to give the laughing gas a try. I had planned on laboring naturally the whole way through, but after 24+ hours of labor my body needed help, and my brain was having trouble focusing enough to do what I needed it to do (I was having trouble staying relaxed and not tense through contractions). Boy the laughing gas was great. I was able to relax and enjoy my labor again!

After laboring for another several hours we discovered my cervix was still only at 6cm!!! At that point the doc decided it was time to augment my labor. I thought I would have been devestated if I didn't get to labor naturally the whole way, but I was surprised at how at peace I was. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I was pretty sure if we didn't do something I was going to end up with a c-section, and, despite my best efforts and my doulas excellent support and advice, my contractions weren't getting closer or stronger. My body was just out of strength.

There was no way I wanted to deal with augmented labor pain on no sleep and with no energy so I requested an epidural (something they don't usually do at this hospital). I worried I'd regret it after the fact but it's actually one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was able to get enough sleep that I then had energy for pushing. And I was able to *really* enjoy the birth again.

Finally I was ready to push! While it took a long time to get to that stage, it didn't last long! In fact Lucy came so quickly it caught everybody off guard. The doc who was in the room was just discussing something with me (a problem I was having with the other doc, who was actually the one who was supposed to deliver my baby). But Lucy came so fast he had to scramble to catch her! I had a third degree tear. But none of the less than awesome stuff matters now that I have my baby!

Lucy was born at 2:17 pm. She came 9 days early, 10 days after my birthday and 10 days before Christmas. She weighed 7 lbs 0.9 oz and is 48.1 cm long. I'm so in love with her. She's just perfect and beautiful, smells wonderful, and makes the most precious sounds in the world. Even her cries are beautiful to me.

Daddy is doing great! Lucy ADORES him. He can calm her when she's fussy in no time!!!

Breastfeeding is going pretty well. Lucy and I are still figuring things out, but getting better and better as time goes by.

My brother-in-law (who happened to be in town this weekend) got to be there for part of the labor and got to meet his niece. I would have never guessed I'd enjoy having a brother-in-law I'd only met once (when we got married) at my baby's birth but it was actually really wonderful. He brought his guitar and played music during one of the ealier parts of labor, which helped me relax and work with the contractions really well.

I'll probably be home tomorrow morning or the next (I'm actually really enjoying my time here at the hospital so I'm hoping I can stay a little longer).

My doula was invaluable! We (DH and I) could have never done this w/o her!!! I will always be grateful to her and think of her role in this whole experience fondly. She took such good care of me AND DH.

So I guess that's our story!
#34 of 41 Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 AM

Congrats Holly and to the world Lucy Noelle!
#35 of 41 Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Congrats! Wow, Lucy and Annika were born only ten minutes apart!
#36 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

#37 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 AM

Holly! She is so adorable Thanks for sharing your story and the pics. Congrats again and do enjoy that babymoon! :
#38 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Great Job, mama and Congrats on that beautiful little soul you have now ... she is sooo adorable !
You must be tired, get some good rest and enjoy your new babe !!
::

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#39 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Sweet pictures! Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon...great job!

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
#40 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Congratulations! Adorable baby!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#41 of 41 Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM

HOw cute is her fuzzy little head?!

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page