UPDATE #10 What can I do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am miserable. Today is the fourth night in a row I have not slept more than 2 or 3 hours total. The area above my pubic hair line and the very bottom of the lower left quadrant of my belly hurt so badly. I can't sleep on my back. I can't sleep on my stomach. I can't sleep on my right side because the pressure from the left side of my belly pulls down and is unbearable.

It hurts so much to walk....I feel as though I need to keep one hand under the left side of my tummy and hunch over in order to walk. Standing up straight really hurts. It hurts to move from sitting to standing, to roll from one side to another, bending over....pretty much any movement results in pain. It hurts to sneeze, cough, anything. It even hurts to pee....lots and lots of intense pressure.

I have always said that I felt really lucky this pregnancy...it has been great. Until Saturday night. I went to the OB on Monday and told her I was sore and she just made a comment about pregnancy being one month too long. Granted, I wasn't clear about how much pain I was really in and it has only gotten worse. I have spent the last two nights crying most of the night.

What in the world can I do? I am really miserable. FTR, I am 37w4d. At the appointment on Monday, I was not dialated or effaced at all. My daughter was head down, but not engaged. Or as the OB said, "she's head down, but not locked and loaded."

I really don't think I can take weeks more of this. I can't even sleep. What should I do? I really feel like this cannot be a normal pregnancy pain. I get being sore and all, but to the point of not sleeping more than 8 or 9 hours in four nights? Crying all night? Please tell me this is not normal.
#2 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM

I hear you. While what you are experiencing may not be totally "normal" these last few weeks are pretty hard. Last week I was feeling the same as you are, everything hurts etc. etc. which is why I quit work monday and now I'm at home with continued pain, lots of pressure and no baby to show for it. It sucks. A massage sometimes helps, accupuncture, chiropracter, a hot bath.....hang in there, I know its really, really, hard. I've always had really difficult last few weeks of pregnancy while others seem to breeze through to the end. You're in my thoughts.
#3 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM

You may want to call back up your OB so that she realizes the extent of your pain. She may want to check things out a bit more. Have you tried a support belt of some kind? I have heard that they can be lifesavers for many women. Many hugs to you!!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#4 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 PM

I'm sorry you are in so much pain! I was like that w/ my 1st at the end. My pubic bone hurt so bad and I couldn't get up and was in tears a lot of the time too when I had to do certain things. I second the support belt..never did it but have heard it works great. It's a really good idea, ChesapeakeBorn!

I'd also give the OB a call b/c being in that much pain should be checked out jic. Hopefully it's just pregnancy pain and all is well...but I'd go for peace of mind anyway and to be sure all is well. Good luck and I hope you feel less pain soon
#5 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretae View Post
A massage sometimes helps, accupuncture, chiropracter, a hot bath.....
Happy Mama: ^^^^^^^^ please consider one or more of these. They should make a huge difference in how you are feeling.

I had to cancel my weekly chiro appt yesterday because I have no car this week ... I feel it!!!! I need to try to schedule a massage for the weekend to make up for it and cross my fingers that I'll have a car next week ....

I'm really sorry you're having a rough time of things. Something you can try at night, though, is to prop up your belly with a pillow, when you sleep on your side. That should relieve some of the ligament strain. It's a pain to constantly be readjusting pillows all night, but it's the only way I can sleep. And, you might try a more sitting-up position if back-sleeping is your preference. That's the only way I could sleep in the end of both previous pregnancies.

And, if you're into homeopathics, I highly encourage Rescue Remedy for when you're stressing, frustrated and sad - and Skullcap for when you want help relaxing and need to turn off your brain. Consult your care practitioner, if you're in doubt, but these are encouraged by mine.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#6 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
Happy Mama: ^^^^^^^^ please consider one or more of these. They should make a huge difference in how you are feeling.

I had to cancel my weekly chiro appt yesterday because I have no car this week ... I feel it!!!! I need to try to schedule a massage for the weekend to make up for it and cross my fingers that I'll have a car next week ....

I'm really sorry you're having a rough time of things. Something you can try at night, though, is to prop up your belly with a pillow, when you sleep on your side. That should relieve some of the ligament strain. It's a pain to constantly be readjusting pillows all night, but it's the only way I can sleep. And, you might try a more sitting-up position if back-sleeping is your preference. That's the only way I could sleep in the end of both previous pregnancies.

And, if you're into homeopathics, I highly encourage Rescue Remedy for when you're stressing, frustrated and sad - and Skullcap for when you want help relaxing and need to turn off your brain. Consult your care practitioner, if you're in doubt, but these are encouraged by mine.

best wishes
--janis

I was also going to suggest the pillow propping, either for your belly or for just sleeping sitting up/reclined. and also calling your OB back because even if it is just "normal" pain and nothing extra is happening, you need to find a way to sleep or you'll be waay too exhausted.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#7 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM

I know the pain you are describing. I have had it quite a bit the last month. I have been taking hot showers. I actually start the shower and plug in the bath tub so the warm water will pool around me. Then, I contort myself so that the warm water from the shower massages the area that hurts.

I have about 5 different pillows that I sleep with. I have a big huge one that I put between my legs. I have a smaller one that I use to prop up my belly so that the weight of my belly doesn't pull me over while on my side. I also have a pillow that I put at my back. I make myself a nice little wedge.

I also have a maternity belt that I wear. I can tell when I don't wear it often enough because the pain increases when I lay down.

Sometimes, changing positions helps.

I think I would definitely talk to the OB and tell him/her exactly where it hurts and what kind of pain you are having.
#8 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I second the Rescue Remedy. And if you're comfortable with it, you might consider something like Tylenol PM. I know Hale's lists Tylenol as safe; I've used the Tylenol PM a few times since we had our first "false alarm" (Thanksgiving Day). My MWs recommended it, I balked at taking it, but it helps relieve the pain at least until I have a chance to fall asleep.

And of course, chiro, hot baths, massage, etc. all help if you have access to them. I lived in the tub most of Thanksgiving weekend.

GL!
#9 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 05:53 PM

A maternity support belt helped me somewhat. I also find that my recliner is the best place to be able to get comfortable, where I can be partially upright.
#10 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the OB this morning and she again made the comment about how the last month of pregnancy is hard. I started crying because I knew that what I was feeling could not be normal. She sent me in for an ultrasound and they found kidney stones and an enlarged lymph node on the outside of my uterine wall....in the exact spot from which the pain radiated. The enlarged node is due to an infection....gotta wonder if it was a kidney infection.

They gave me an antibiotic and pain medication for the kidney stones. I felt amazingly great after taking the first pain pill....but now it is wearing off and the pain is coming back. Still, I am going to wait until bedtime to take the next one.
#11 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM

I'm so glad they found out what was wrong - it must be a relief to know. Good for you for not just letting it drop as one of those "normal pregnancy things" when you knew better.
#12 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 PM

Oh, wow. Glad they caught that one! Pain really does terrible things to one's personality. Take it easy.
#13 of 15 Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM

I am so sorry, but really glad you went in and they found out what was causing you so much pain. And good for you is right! Standing up for yourself instead of just letting the comment be the answer to your pain and finding out what was wrong...that is one strong mama you are!
#14 of 15 Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM

I'm so glad you found an answer! Good for you for demanding an explanation. Sending many healing vibes your way!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!
#15 of 15 Old 12-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Hope you're feeling better! I just wanted to ask you if you take probiotics or if someone has recommended you start becuase of the antibiotics? I have battled with thrush so terribly with my first two babies (because of antibiotics at birth) that I couldn't NOT ask you. Hope to save you a bunch of trouble there!

You should take a ton of probiotics, not just from yogurt, and probably at least double whatever the normal recommendations are. And keep taking it for at least two months. Be careful not to eat much sugar either. You need to be careful you don't get yeast overgrowth. Prevention is so much better than battling it when it happens!

I'll butt out now. Just wanted to be sure you know what could happen.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page